New Rear Surround Speakers by 123Toid and Impulse Audio (1099 Designer)

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Recently, I designed some new tower speakers with KMA. They came out really nice and after some talking with Impulse Audio (designer of the Elusive 1099's on DIYSG) we decided to create some rear surrounds using the same series drivers. And although, we are calling these rear surrounds, they can be used as front speakers for those who want a smaller surround system.

Goals:
Affordable - we want these to be affordable for someone who is looking to buy some small bookshelf speakers
Small Form Factor - these will hopefully be small enough that most people can use them in multiple areas
80hz port - This may seem low, but those who are aiming for THX standard, this would be a good crossover point

With these in mind, we decided on these drivers:
RS125-8
RST28F-4
https://bit.ly/2FwS7zx
'][/URL]

Videos:

Intro:

Tower Speakers:

If you have suggestions for other videos, let us know. We will see what is and is not feasible.

Last edited:
123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Impulse Audio did a review on each of the speaker along with downloadable frd and zma files. I will say, our tweeter measurements differed. He as getting a peak and I wasn't. So that is something to keep in mind.

Here is the testing of the RST28F-4 with downloadable FRD and ZMA files

Here is the testing of the RS125-8 with downloadable FRD and ZMA files

Overall, I think we both liked the drivers we choose. Probably should have used a smaller tweeter for this sized box, but that is just something to think about for our next build.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Here is the the video around the box design. Basically, we wanted something small to hang on the wall. We even went into some things to think about when designing rear speakers, such as port placement, etc. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Now here is Impulse Audio's recent video on his crossover desing. I was a really cheap solution for these drivers and only used 5 parts. WE also talked a little about my crossover as well. The challenge, was we both wanted to see the best crossover we could design with the least amount of components. He also talks a little about why he chose the components he did and the function they provide.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
And here is mine. I show not only me easy design, but also my final design. Why I did what I did and what the problem areas were. I even talk about some misconceptions people have about crossover design. f Feel free to ask any questions about them.

There will be a final build, which we will show off our speakers, but we don't have that complete yet.

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
Here are some ideas of what the box may look like when finished. I'm thinking triangle ports. look better.
pictures.JPG

123Toid

123Toid

Audioholic Intern
This is the final frequency response for the speaker. I used a notch filter on the tweeter to help even out the response. I also made the lower end a little higher to help give it a bigger sound. If you wanted to make it more linear you could. I felt like this gave it the best sound.
impulse final crossover.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis