New projector, setup question

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
Just purchased a Sony HW50 projector, installed it tonight. I'm curious about a couple things...
1. When I'm using 3D mode on the projector, there is an extra little whine from the projector, it doesn't sound like a fan, more like a quiet, but noticeable squeal. After watching a movie for a few minutes, you don't really notice it anymore, but it's still there. Is this a normal function of 3D on a projector or is my unit possibly defective?
2. I've gone through all the screen adjustments I can find via manual control and menu options and I can't get my screen square. The left vertical side is wider at the bottom then the top, the right vertical side is perfect, and the top and bottom of the screen gets smaller as you go right. The keystone seems to be for a trapezoidal effect, which I have on the left side of the screen but not the right? And there doesn't seem to be any adjustment for the left-right horizontal issue.

I thought the screen might be crooked as its mounted to a bulkhead, but it measures perfectly from the wall. I attached a picture of the effect I'm seeing. The green would be my screen, the blue is the picture on it. Maybe my screen just hangs a bit crooked?

Any ideas? Thanks!
screen.jpg

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Your projector is not square to the wall.

1. TURN OFF ALL DIGITAL KEYSTONE CORRECTION - NEVER USE IT!

2. If the right side is smaller, then turn your projector towards the side which is smaller. It will make it bigger.

3. Once both left and right sides are the same size, you want to check that the top and bottom are the same sizes.

4. If the top or bottom is smaller, then tilt the projector up/down until the top and bottom edges are the same size.

5. Do not worry about getting it 'centered on screen' - that is what optical lens shift will take care of.

6. If everything appears to be square, but the image is lightliy rotated, then adjust the yaw on your mount so that the top and bottom edges of the image are in line with the screen. This is only possible to get perfect if the image is square so....

7. Repeat steps 2-6 until the image is as square as possible.

8. If the image is not on the screen itself perfectly, adjust the optical lens shift, zoom, and focus to reposition the image until it is on screen perfectly. You may find that it is good to make little changes to zoom and lens shift during steps 2-6 so that you have a working guideline.

I generally make the image slightly smaller than the screen size, then align the top edge of the image to the top edge of the screen then look for a non-square image. If I end up putting the image several inches off the right (or left) side of the screen, I use lens shift to get it back on the screen, then I check again. Ooops! It's smaller at the top then the bottom, so I tilt the projector up some, then lens shift it a bit so it is back on screen and check again. Raised it to much! Tilt the projector back down a bit. Use lens shift to raise the image a bit. Good tops and bottoms, but the left side is still a bit smaller... Turn the projector to the left, and lens shift to the right. Okay, it looks square, but the top edge of the projected image doesn't line up with the top edge of the screen perfectly. The right corner is a bit low. Adjust the yaw of the mount so the right side of the projector is raised a bit. Dang! Now I'm readjusting everything to get the image square. The entire process takes about 30 minutes to an hour the FIRST time you do it and you see how much movement creates an impact on alignment. But, after you are comfortable with it, about 15 minutes and you get a very solidly square image on screen.

NOTE: It is possible, that if you have a cheap screen, the screen itself is not square. This is not common and isn't indicated by the picture you have here.

The image you showed indicates that the projector needs some yaw adjustment to raise the right corner and it needs to be rotated to the right as well then lens shifted to the left some.

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
World of difference! It's nearly perfect now, thanks for the info. I feel kinda dumb, as soon as you mentioned not being square, I looked at it from that POV and it was noticeably off to the left (when looking straight on). Made all the difference.

Do you happen to know if that 3D mode squeal I mentioned is normal?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have never heard any noise at all from any projector I've installed when it has been in 3D mode. Rare I say this, but it may be worth checking AVS Forum as they likely have a single post about that specific projector which has 20,000 or so responses in it. Not fun to get actual useful information, but you better believe that someone has an answer... good luck getting it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis