New Panasonic UHD Blu-ray Player - the Next Oppo?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Only if you have high-end audio system. The big advantage is when you connect the balanced XLR outputs to a high-end 2-channel audio system.

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
Only if you have high-end audio system. The big advantage is when you connect the balanced XLR outputs to a high-end 2-channel audio system.
Maybe in the future, my reciever is 8 years old. Will be upgrading in 3 more years with an external amp as well . Currently have klipsch rp 280 speakers with dual 15s . I just purchased speakers this year. So would best option be 820 for me? I dont want to buy features I'm not gonna use.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe in the future, my reciever is 8 years old. Will be upgrading in 3 more years with an external amp as well . Currently have klipsch rp 280 speakers with dual 15s . I just purchased speakers this year. So would best option be 820 for me? I dont want to buy features I'm not gonna use.
I’m going to demo the RP 280 soon. How do you like them?

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
I enjoy them . Cant wait to get an amp to fully power them. I'm comparing them to my previous klipsch speakers the rvx54. Obviously better low end with the dual eights over the 4-51/4 inch speakers. And the highs seem to blend better with the 280s,than that of the rvx54s. I will assume it's because of the new horn material being rubber and not plastic. not so bright or exaggerated. Becauase The 54s were harsh with certain tones . It was fatiguing the ear. So, it seems to make them feel more balanced as well. Thanks for asking.
I used the audysey setup on my Onkyo, then went back and used spl meter to level match.
Hope this helps.

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
I enjoy them . Cant wait to get an amp to fully power them. I'm comparing them to my previous klipsch speakers the rvx54. Obviously better low end with the dual eights over the 4-51/4 inch speakers. And the highs seem to blend better with the 280s,than that of the rvx54s. I will assume it's because of the new horn material being rubber and not plastic. not so bright or exaggerated. Becauase The 54s were harsh with certain tones . It was fatiguing the ear. So, it seems to make them feel more balanced as well. Thanks for asking.
I used the audysey setup on my Onkyo, then went back and used spl meter to level match.
Hope this helps.
I'm sitting 10 ft from speakers . Using a onkyo tx nr807. With panamax 5400. Nee to install a dedicated outlet

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
We are Panasonic's launch partner for the USA and our 1st allocation arrived yesterday. Still some left for new clients. We sell them for $499, double boxed and delivered Nationwide.

VE UB820 allocation.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
DVT TiVo Dealer

I brought the Panasonic DMP UB900 early this year at cheap price.
You mentioned firmware. There won't be anything in the way of Dolby vision firmware for UB900 or do I have to buy the UB9000.

I like the Luminance / colour adjustments to soften down some high contrasts that I found to be distracting on the DVD The Empire Strikes Back where a contrast seemed way too high. There was very little I could do to modify that horrid blue tint Lucasfilm plastered over the image on 2004 DVD relesae. I could only get away with little bit but otherwise other colours started to look out of place.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Sorry to say Panasonic's UB900 will not be upgraded to decode Dolby Vision HDR. The new UB820 and upcoming UB9000 will be Dolby Vision HDR capable with a firmware update.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Thanks DTV, for that info. No loss here it was brought cheaply brand new and still an okay player. I guess have to save up for one of newer two do they both have THX stamp on them I know the 9000 does as I saw talk on that early in the year.

Will they have wireless wi-fi connection not that it bothers me I find the speed is faster using hardwire connection with youtube, faster than my pc and sounds a bit cleaner.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Yes, the UB820 and UB9000 have Wi Fi built-in and the standard RJ45 jack for hard wired connection.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
That's what I was told by a reliable source. Originally, I thought it was one less step of digitization or the premium DAC they use, but I'll ask my contacts at Panasonic HQ to explain.

B

Blitz

Audiophyte
DTV, Thank you for the info.
I'm a long-term sub of the YouTube channel and just registered. I've been eagerly following this thread trying to track availability of the UB820. Fyi, Best buy is showing availabily beginning 8/26. Also, I think that one other difference between the UB820 and the UB9000 - is that just like the Oppo players, the UB9000 will include an HDMI Input

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
@Blitz , Yes I know Best Buy will begin to have Panasonic's UB820 on or about August 26th. Our company was selected by Panasonic as the exclusive launch partner. We've been shipping the UB820 since July 30. (See post #49 a few up from here)

I've worked with Panasonic engineering on fixes and enhancements to make this the best BD player it can be and we're still working on more upgrades.

I have an engineering sample of the UB9000 and I'd love to see the UB9000 have an HDMI input, but sorry to say it does not. Here's a couple pictures of my UB9000.

Hope no one minds a plug for my company, but way wait when you can have the UB820 now, get it double boxed for safe travel to your home and deal with a passionate video engineer for support and technical help as needed on this new advanced HDR technology device.

B

Blitz

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply, and clarifying for me that that the UB9000 won't have an HDMI input. I have a 2017 LG OLED and am eager to get a UB820. Do you still have stock?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
@Lil klipsch Wow, just noticed the award! Thanks!!

Yes we just received our 2nd allocation so we're well stocked on UB820.

The UB820 is a perfect match to your beautiful OLED TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis