D

dg350z

Audiophyte
Hey all -- brand new member here. I am 19 and in a college dorm and am looking to replace my cheap creative comp speakers with something a bit nicer. I am not terribly knowledgable when it comes to sound -- and I obviously don't need an awesome system, but I do like to crank it and make the neighbors complain ;) Anyway some of the "criteria" I have are:

- I mostly listen to music, although I do game so a decent amount of bass and body is necessary.

- I have limited space

- I **need** my speakers to connect to my computer as this is where all of my music is.

- I am most likly buying a Soundblaster X-fi with these speakers instead of integrated sound...so I need to be able to connect to the connections on that card.

- Budget. I only want to spend about $250-300 (not including the X-fi).

- I have been doing a bit of research and found a few easy to set-up comp speakers such as the Logitech Z5500's and Klipsch Pro media's. Would the music quality of these be far less than bookshelve's of equivilent value? (No need to stay JUST on these type of systems but I mean -- i dont want anything huge and I want an easy setup.)

Thanks!!

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
My friend (freshman in college, dorm, same requirements basically to the letter) went with the Logitech z5500 system he found on eBay for ~$220 shipped. I own that system and it has a very "full" sound with more power than you need. The bass is ok quality, and there is lots of it. It also can accept lots of different sources at once, and would be great for computer-based music.

Bear in mind that bookshelves would probably sound better and cleaner, but you would be hard-pressed to find a receiver, subwoofer and speakers for your budget. If you can, great, but if not the Logitech is excellent.

If you plan on staying in mid-small sized rooms, the z5500s will be fine, but I noticed them struggle when I tried them out in my big (4500 cu. ft.) room. Not from lack of volume but the quality was noticeably worse. Of course, comparing them to a nice set of Klipsch 10" bookshelves and some Polk bookshelves isn't quite fair. ;)

D

dg350z

Audiophyte
Well -- i guess my question then is, is it possible to get better sound from bookshelves for $300 ish? I know there are some good bookshelves for like 220 ish (Axiom M3Ti maybe) then I have another 80 to play with so maybe a cheap amp? ( I dunno how much more for a reciever...) Again I am not entirely knowledgeable on this -- do I need a reciever and amp if its going into my X-fi card?

B

brendy

Audioholic
Given your budget and how you listen it would be best to go with high quality computer speakers.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I might recommend something like this...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-Home-Theater-System-HT-S590S/sem/rpsm/oid/148410/catOid/-12954/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The Onkyo surround setup gives you a full 5.1 standardized system. It's a great price (under $250) and allows you a true audio/video upgrade path that is consistent with industry standards. Unlike a PC speaker setup which is locked in and tends to not have anywhere near the flexibility of a A/V system, this one will give you some room to grow. Some serious room!

How does it work with your PC? Well, set up the 5.1 system how you want it in the room. Then, take the digital output from your sound card and run it into the receiver. That should be it. The X-Fi appears to have a 3 in 1 jack that includes digital audio, and you should be able to run that straight into the receiver.

To use it: Set your receiver so it is looking at the input from your computer. Now, just turn on your computer. That should be it. In the future, when you turn on your computer, turn on the receiver and that'll do it - nothing else to setup or configure.

Best part? Moving forward, you can move this system to any television you want - like a 42" plasma or LCD. You can hook up a DVD player, cable box, VCR, etc. and it has some room to grow. If you aren't happy with the way the subwoofer sounds, you can hook up a different subwoofer, or two, if you want to (and can afford it). Unlike PC speaker setups - you aren't locked in.

D

dg350z

Audiophyte
I can see where your coming from -- but I really don't see myself using the system for anything but music. If I ever needed a system for my TV / living room id have to buy something for my room anyway since thats where I listen to most of my music. For now I really just think its just gunna be music oriented. So do you think the logitechs will sound better for music? From what I read the HTIB speakers aren't as nice as the logitechs...am I mistaken?

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
If you listen to alternative, rock, electronic, rap, or any variations like that, the Logitechs will sound fine for your room, certainly better than most all HTIB systems you'll hear. They have deep, punchy bass and want to be turned up louder. Since you have a soundcard you can do some tweaking and EQing to get the sound all nice, so I would say go for it!

opyimus

Audiophyte
besides my actual system....on my computer I use harman/kardon sound stix they are very clear sounding speakers and can get loud enough to get the neighbors complaining im pretty sure I paid around 300 for them but im not sure what their worth now. they take very little space and are 2.1 left & right with sub the 1's I have connect usb so no sound card is needed so you might save money there but if you want headphone style they have them 2

G

googdot

Audioholic Intern
i second the soundsticks - they are small, look good, and sound great! if you have a bit more room on your desk and don't wnat/need the sub, look into the Swan M200 or S200A :)

D

dg350z

Audiophyte
Well, turns out I have a bit more money to toy with than I thought. Given the same parameters (mostly music ect) of the original post, do you think that a price range of 350-450 would still best lend itself to getting the logitechs? (or some similar PC speaker setup) Or am I then capable of getting a better bookshelf setup?

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
dg350z said:
Well, turns out I have a bit more money to toy with than I thought. Given the same parameters (mostly music ect) of the original post, do you think that a price range of 350-450 would still best lend itself to getting the logitechs? (or some similar PC speaker setup) Or am I then capable of getting a better bookshelf setup?
$200 + shipping - XLs bookshelf speaker (www.av123.com) or Mordaunt short Avant 902 (from accesories4less)
$150 - Receiver (Look for a used one on Ebay or online sale, ex: http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi)

I like the MS 902, i have it for my bedroom. I rip cds to my harddisk, hook it up to the receiver via X-Fi. Great sound for music. Just my .02 ;).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis