New Member, My System...

Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
I've been checking out reviews from Audioholics for awhile, but just found this forum. I'm a regular poster at HT Guide forum, Ascend Acoustics forum, and a newb at AVS. Anyhoo, here is my current setup...

Outlaw Audio Model 950 Pre/Pro
Rotel RMB-1075 Amplifier
Denon DVD-2900 DVD-A/SACD Player
5x Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Monitors
5x StudioTech SP-30 30" Speaker Stands
Outlaw Audio Interconnects

I also have a SVS PB10-ISD I'm trying out, and a BFD-Pro Parametric EQ that should be delivered tomorrow.

My listening habits are 75% DVD-A/SACD and 25% DD/DTS (DVDs). I hate "TV", and don't have cable. After I settle on a sub my next piece of gear will be my display. I'm looking at 480p 42" plasmas and 720p front projectors right now.

Some pictures... (These are from before everything was hooked-up/arranged/calibrated).

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Cool.

I like the DVD/CD rack!

Get us some pics when you get it all installed.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Nice amps! Im guessing you have a few months pay into that system! Don't you know you should be saving up for that diamond ring?

Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
Yeah, pretty much all my extra money since November has gone into it.
Diamond Ring? Yeah right... :rolleyes: :p

Still trying to get everything situated with the sub. I'll be hitting it with the EQ tomorrow. If I still don't like it I think I'll be upgrading to a SVS 16-46 PC-Plus to audition (and once again be broke :p).

Here is a general room layout...

Last edited:
G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Nice setup. You'll really be in hock when you buy that plasma! :eek:

A comment on your sub (and I qualify this by stating I'm light-years away from being an expert...): I'm not sure that its placement depicted in your room diagram will yield acceptable results; generally I think a corner location works best. Maybe someone else here on the forum will offer more expert advice.

Have you been in contact with the guys at SVS? They would respond to an email showing your proposed system layout diagram. Tech Questions/Support: http://svsubwoofers.com/contact.htm

-GeorgeM

P.S. I have an SVS PB12-Plus/2 - really impressive!

Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
I don't have anything I couldn't pay for in cash. One of my life-guiding mottos. I drive an old beater and have a small apartment so I can get this stuff. The 42" 480p plasmas are actually less than $2k. I probably won't have enough saved until summer though...

Actually that near-field placement has yielded the best results so far, and was recommended by Ron Stimpson (the "S" in SV-Subwoofers). The top right corner was my initial spot, but I got alot of corner induced boom. I'm waiting for my BFD EQ to arrive today. I have a nasty resonance at 60Hz that needs to be tamed...

Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
My ears have never been so worn out in my life! :eek:

I used all cuts, no bumps.

I left a small ramp starting at 20Hz scaling down 5dB to 50Hz.
FR from 50Hz to 85Hz is +/- 0.5dB.
I have a small +1.5dB blip at 90Hz, but then it flattens back out through 105Hz.
The one thing that erks me is a small valley from 105Hz to 115Hz, oh well.

Because I'm in a 1500ft^3 room, I had no problems with red blips & clipping on the BFD. I still have the PB10s gain knob at 75%, although I boosted the volume via my pre/pro by 4dB. Darla tapping the fishtank in little nemo at 95dB yielded 1 or 2 green bars, thats it.

I could immediately tell the difference once that 65Hz peak was knocked down. (I listened to movies after every 2 or 3 filters) Less humble-bumble during intense action scenes. The subwoofer also blended-in except for a few extreme passages. I originally left the 20Hz peak, but it was so much higher than the rest of the curve that I had to bring it down some, it just didn't sound/feel right. Unfortunately this seemed to really hurt the infrasonics. While scenes like the ring drop and frodos heartbeat are present, they don't have the same ultra-low bone-shaking phenomena. I was getting a little-bit of that before, but now its almost nil.

As far as music is concerned, I'm going to listen some more tomorrow before I respond.

At $100 the BFD so far is an incredible piece of gear! I was lucky to have one spare Outlaw RCA cable, but I got hosed $5 for 2 RCA/phono adapters at Shack of the Rat.

More tomorrow...

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Very nice set up. :D Looks as if you put some serious time and effort into your choices. The Outlaw processor is a stellar piece. Cant believe they sell it for so cheap. Im curious to hear your thoughts on the Ascends once your settled in with them ?

Enjoy !!!

Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
Thanks anamorphic. Alot of my time and money has gone into it over the past months.

I started a thread on another forum last year that is following the decision making process. Getting a sub to my liking is the last piece of my audio setup.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=10691&page=1
I think my opinion on the Ascends is on page 4.

Can't wait to get the new SVS next week. The PC-Ultra is only a couple hundred more, but chatting with Ed Mullen on AVS convinced me to get the 16-46 PC+. The 16-46 PC+ is supposed to be able to belt out higher SPL levels in 12Hz mode (one port plugged) than the PC-Ultra can (two ports plugged). I'm also hoping for less struggle with these frequencies. The PB10 is a great sub, but doesn't have the extension and ultimate authority I'm looking for.

Pipe Organs and Cannons here I come! ;)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Was looking at the PB10 but the fact it has no crossover soured me on the PB10. Im a 2 channel guy and need a crossover in the sub. So it looks as if im getting the Hsu in the first week of May. My buddy uses this sub and it sounds fantastic. I will be using the SOS system to get it optimized. The sub will be mated to some Paradigm Studio 40 v2's.

Here is some info on the SOS system.

/www.speakercity.com/Sos/SubwooferOptimizer.shtml

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I would like to pipe in with mighty mighty nice. I think you've got an amazing setup.

Nicholas Mosher

Nicholas Mosher

Enthusiast
Yeah, the PB10 does have a fairly basic feature-set on the back (I'm guessing part of the low cost). I was suprised to see an infinitely variable phase knob though rather than a 0/180 toggle switch.

Just shipped the PB10 back this morning. I'll be ordering the 16-46 PC+ when they get the PB10 back on Wednesday, which means I should have it next Monday. Can't wait...

Thanks for the comment takeereasy, it sounds fantastic (even with no sub!). While I was drooling over five Paradigm Signature S2 monitors (~$4200 and way out of my league), the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s sound remarkably close for 1/5th the price. They're truely the best bargain I found so far followed by the Outlaw 950 pre/pro.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis