New Kind of Blue Mono Reissue...

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
From Analog Planet...

This coming Record Store Day, November 29th, the label will release on vinyl Miles and Monk at Newport, Jazz Track and Kind of Blue. At that point, all nine mono vinyl titles will have been released. The same nine mono titles will debut in a new CD box set Miles Davis: The Original Mono Recordings to be released on November 11th of this year.

[...]

According to Steve Berkowitz, who, with engineer Mark Wilder, has overseen all of the Miles Davis reissues going back many years, both of the original 3-track tapes used in recent years to produce the SACDs as well as 2008's blue 180g vinyl 50th Anniversary Collection box set .... are now in very poor condition even though they sat untouched in the vault from 1959 until 1992.

Wildler and Berkowitz recently decided to do another and perhaps final 3-track KOB transfer: to DSD, to 192/24 bit PCM (and probably other resolution digital) and at the same time, a two-channel stereo and a mono mixdown to analog tape. The two channel mix down will most likely be the source of a Mobile Fidelity stereo reissue coming later in the year as part of that label's Miles Davis stereo vinyl reissue project.
How cool is that? :cool: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a curious enthusiast.
Well, I hope the other things you're curious about, ahem, are more interesting than monophonic sound. KoB has been released more times than Lindsay Lohan.

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Well, I hope the other things you're curious about, ahem, are more interesting than monophonic sound. KoB has been released more times than Lindsay Lohan.
Okay, I get it. You're not a fan of mono, but you are a fan of cliches and bad, irrelevant analogies.

I've never heard KOB in any of its mono releases. And I doubt many people have. It's the "sound of the sound" I'm interested in hearing. I thought perhaps others might be interested as well.

And as far as my curiosity is concerned, ahem, what's it to ya? What's with the condescension?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, I get it. You're not a fan of mono, but you are a fan of cliches and bad, irrelevant analogies.

I've never heard KOB in any of its mono releases. And I doubt many people have. It's the "sound of the sound" I'm interested in hearing. I thought perhaps others might be interested as well.

And as far as my curiosity is concerned, ahem, what's it to ya? What's with the condescension?
That's a fair question... I was just in a weird mood today, so maybe that explains it.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure some people will buy these, we are nothing if not nostalgic creatures... Some one will buy this and play it on their tube powered turntable system with $300 speaker cables and love it... To each their own... I love the feeling I get when I play my 75 year old Wulritzer, them old 78's sound terrible but I'll dance with my wife in the parlor for an hour listening to them old songs playing through that old 15" single 1 way driver and 1940's tube amplifier... And in my bedroom I have a new tube amp that glows in the corner when we play it, shut all the lights down, throw on some music and its like a soft nightlight glowing away... There is a market for this stuff...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Released today! Each CD, newly remastered, will be housed in a mini-LP replica jacket, faithfully replicating the original LP sleeves. They will be packed in a casemade slipcase which will also hold a 40-page booklet with a brand-new essay. This is the true genius of Miles Davis as most people first heard it, the way it was intended to be heard: in mono.

Albums-

'Round About Midnight
Miles Ahead
Milestones
Jazz Track
Porgy And Bess
Kind Of Blue
Sketches Of Spain
Someday My Prince Will Come
Miles And Monk At Newport

Last edited by a moderator:
chateaubriand

chateaubriand

Audiophyte

I'm with defmoot and I bought this release :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis