New JBL center 880 Array!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
cool very interesting actually some of the crossover dips do show up with the RTA program I use with a calibrated mic on my iPad and can be cleaned up with eq .
I have never noticed the off axis lacking in my room as I’ve set the room up for the best sound from any seat . I have to wonder if the right room setup if the measurements would show different .
It’s still the best center channel I’ve ever herd .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
cool very interesting actually some of the crossover dips do show up with the RTA program I use with a calibrated mic on my iPad and can be cleaned up with eq .
I have never noticed the off axis lacking in my room as I’ve set the room up for the best sound from any seat . I have to wonder if the right room setup if the measurements would show different .
It’s still the best center channel I’ve ever herd .
Recently I compared a Infinity CC2(Also got the bookshelf of that series as well, but have not heard them yet) center that I bought thifted cheaply and while it's a decent center It didn't have the clarity of vocals the JBL 3 way center I recently thrifted thanks to you, Mark. JBL did great!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Recently I compared a Infinity CC2(Also got the bookshelf of that series as well, but have not heard them yet) center that I bought thifted cheaply and while it's a decent center It didn't have the clarity of vocals the JBL 3 way center I recently thrifted thanks to you, Mark. JBL did great!
Great to here my friend I knew you would like it I used one for years with my 520’s and really liked it a lot !

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I thought you already had a center channel thread! :p

That's awesome Mark, it definitely looks like a beast of a center and that finish really is gorgeous. I think I gotcha beat on size tho! 23"W x 12.5"D x 11"H and clocks in at just over 40 lbs. You have bigger woofers tho. That said, I totally get what you're saying about the improved center. I really wasn't expecting much when I replaced the bookshelf I was using, but the better dynamic range and wider presentation was more noticeable than I expected so it was a nice little surprise.

It seems like a better match with my mains too. I swear it's spot on identical whereas the S2 was just very, very close. Tho I'll admit that could well be just bias, but it makes me feel happier about perfomance and less guilty for spending so much on a center so I'm running with it... :p
For movies and concerts, the center speaker has to work harder than those for the L & R channels. It's really worth spending money on a good three-way center unit.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
For movies and concerts, the center speaker has to work harder than those for the L & R channels. It's really worth spending money on a good three-way center unit.
I've asked this question a few times and probably irritating to some

But your point about the center working harder than the towers is something that makes total sense. And assume that you are running surrounds and atmos with 2 subs. AND you are 100% home theater. Does that somewhat marginalize the importance of the front towers as the signal is being spread across 9 channels with 2 subs and a lot of heavy lifting on the center?

As always the higher quality the speaker the better. It just makes me wonder if spending mega bucks on towers will deliver if you are always upmixing to all 9 channels. I think the theory of maxing out center and subs makes the most sense to me (this as I always contemplate upgrading towers when the right deal presents itself :) )

Now for those that listen to 2 channel music, it's all (or almost all) about the towers I'm sure.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I've asked this question a few times and probably irritating to some

But your point about the center working harder than the towers is something that makes total sense. And assume that you are running surrounds and atmos with 2 subs. AND you are 100% home theater. Does that somewhat marginalize the importance of the front towers as the signal is being spread across 9 channels with 2 subs and a lot of heavy lifting on the center?

As always the higher quality the speaker the better. It just makes me wonder if spending mega bucks on towers will deliver if you are always upmixing to all 9 channels. I think the theory of maxing out center and subs makes the most sense to me (this as I always contemplate upgrading towers when the right deal presents itself :) )

Now for those that listen to 2 channel music, it's all (or almost all) about the towers I'm sure.
I started with good towers and gradually upgraded centers even tried mixing different brands of 2 ways and then the first 3 ways came out then I stayed with the same brand jbl’s on every thing else I’ve tried .
Do believe from trial and indeed some error that you need good towers and a really good center to me the most , along with subs .
The 880 is the best center I’ve ever tried so far it did take some playing around with on setup keep in mind it was designed I’ve read for a larger room than most guys have or me for that matter .
I do agree the center is the most important right with good integrated subs .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis