New here, 2.1 speaker suggestions?

M

makken

Audiophyte
Hi guys,
I stumbled onto this forum while looking for info on speaker systems.

I know you guys deal mainly with home theatre systems, so this may be the wrong place to post it.

I'm looking for a new pair of speakers to hook up to my laptop computer. Currently, I'm using a 7 year old pair of Cambridge Soundworks, which are dying on me. I'm looking to spend around $50 for a pair

Now, I'm in a college dorm setting, so high volume isn't that much of a concern. I'll mainly use these speakers to play music in the background while i'm studying, or maybe to watch a DVD on my computer every once in a while.

These are the speakers that've I"ve been looking at: Logitech X-230, Logitech Z-3, Altec Lansing VF2221, Creative Inspire 2.1 2400, Creative T3000, and a refurbished pair of JBL Creature 2's

Right now, the two that really caught my attention are the Logitech Z3's and the JBL Creature 2's. I've heard good things about both, but I know Logitech's are a little bass heavy. The only experience I've had with Harmon Kardon / JBL is in my car, and they're a great set there.

So, what do you guys think of those two sets, and are there any others that I should be looking at?

Thanks
-Ken

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have the creature 2 ...

im sure i need to calibrate it first ... because i dont have the time to learn how
but as plug and play speakers, i get "hollow" sound from it

i also have the creative inspire 2400 ...

good plug and play speakers ... nice bass

and my personal favorite ... altec lansing (im still using my 45.1)

very weak bass (but good enough)
in my opinion, you're buying the brand more than the sound quality

M

makken

Audiophyte
Hey guys, sorry for not getting back for so long.

I tried out the JBL creature II's at fry's yesterday, and I did notice they did sound a bit hollow. Reminded me of laptop speakers, which is what I was trying to away from.

A few items down, I noticed they had the Logitech Z3's for sale at $49.99. After about an hour of debating, I decided to go ahead and pick those up and give em a try.

First thing I'll say is that they weren't kidding when they say logitech speakers are bass heavy. I like it though, great for hip hop song beats. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with the high end, but it feels like something's missing up there.

Overall, I'm very happy with the speakers, obviously, they are no Klipsch Promedia's, but they're also 1/3 of the price :)

Oh, and I'll also votch for creative speakers though, but they were just a bit too expensive, had to the draw the line somewhere.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
All logitech speakers are missing a little bit of the highs, they don't use tweeters.

I want creative to make a 2.1 gigaworks, I like those the most. My Z2200's will have to do for now, but they need major eqing.

sheep

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
If you still can return the logitechs, you may want to consider the T3000. Circuit City has them for $10 this week after rebates. I picked up a set just to try, and out of the box, they just blared at me a lot. I did some cursory equalization and they now sound very nice especially for the price.

If you get them, PM or email me at nm2285@msn.com and I'll run you through the equalization if you're not sure how to figure out which frequencies to change.

E

ExcessivePirate

Audiophyte
Bahh says i to computer speakers. What you need to do is get a reciever and cut and splice rca cables to fit in your jack. once you got it set up, you can put any speakers you want in. The sky is the limit. nothing says good bass like 2 18's. Ive done this and was very happy with it. Also teh reciever is a good laptop stand on your desk. ;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
ExcessivePirate said:
Bahh says i to computer speakers. What you need to do is get a reciever and cut and splice rca cables to fit in your jack. once you got it set up, you can put any speakers you want in. The sky is the limit. nothing says good bass like 2 18's. Ive done this and was very happy with it. Also teh reciever is a good laptop stand on your desk. ;)
That also costs about 10 times more, not to mention the laptop is going to impead the cooling of the reciever. Plus, the size of the reciever alone is bigger then a mouse, keyboard, control center(whatever it might be) and the front speakers that would be on the desk....:rolleyes:

The Sheep

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis