New guy with in wall speakers question.

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, i have Kef in walls (ci 160cl) and want to replace them for some cheap ones (I'm taking them with me to my new home)

I am hoping it'll be a direct fit and don't have to modify anything. Here are the dimensions of the 2 speakers. If you guys think it'll fit, than i'll order them. -Thanks in advance.

Kef dimensions (external) (11.93 x 8.78 x 3.58 in.)
Kef dimensions (cut out) (10.79 x 7.64 in.)

Aria dimensions (external) (12.05" x 8.66" x 3.35)
Aria dimensions (cut out) (10.67" x 7.28" x 2.95)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Should work, but make sure the company you’re ordering from has a generous return policy.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Given that the ones you have are the lower end of the KEF line why not just leave them and treat yourself and your new home to the better Ci200QL or really step up and get the Ci4000QL-THX.

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
Can i use the Ci4000QL for my center speaker too? I'm thinking getting the 4000QL for my left, rights and center and getting the Q300 for my bookshelves and a pair of 200QR for my ceiling.

Does that sound okay? How would you do it?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It's Ci4100QL, and yes that would be an incredible center, though I'd advise it be mounted vertically. Nice with the Ci series is that they are sold individually. Or I'm pretty sure they are.

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
I talked to my wife and she's saying that we should keep the Kef ci160cl.

She really likes them and she thinks they're very "slick"
Can i use the ci 160cl for home theater? Although they're an entry level speakers? Can they handle loud music and home theater? I haven't tested how loud they can go because i'm scared that i'm gonna blow them.

Cheers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Go ahead and blow them up. Then you can get the Ci200RR-THX that are WAY better, just as "slick" and a lot harder to blow up. :D

Seriously, I get the feeling she's not aware of how much better an upgrade can be and look just as cool.

Even the Ci160QL is exactly the same size and look, just better power handling and sound quality.

Here you go:

Ci160QL

Tell her these are the old ones, they look the same with the grills on.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Good luck!

I don't know anything about the home sale agreement, but if you change a "fixture" in some with a lesser quality product it can sometimes cause problems at closing or after the sale. If the agreement was that you'd change them and the buyer is aware you were replacing with a less expensive product, imagine the gobs of goodwill passed on by them seeing that nothing was changed.

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
That's true. I never thought about it like that.

I'll take the wife out for a nice dinner and see if i can work my charm. We need an upgrade anyway :p

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
That's true. I never thought about it like that.

I'll take the wife out for a nice dinner and see if i can work my charm. We need an upgrade anyway :p
I've had a lot of hands on experience with similar events like this, and just a nice dinner without something that's sentimental to direct her attention away from what you want to achieve will make you look like a cheap con man with a budget...You've been warned:rolleyes:...LOL...I'll stand by with a cigarette & blindfold;)

R!zz0

R!zz0

Audioholic Intern
^LOL Thanks for the warning. I think it's gonna be a Green light, but you know how Women are. They're always changing their mind :(

Will keep all of ya posted :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis