New Guy Hello/ Help

T

TYLER JC

Enthusiast
hI THIS IS MY FIRST POST, I LOVE A/V EQUIPMENT, CURRENTLY I HAVE A YAMAHA RXV1000 RECEIVER AND I AM USING DEFINITIVE BP-2006 TOWERS A CENTER CHANNEL AND TWO DEFINITIVE SURROUNDS. I ALSO HAVE A HITACHI PROJECTOR 1080I/720P CAPABLE AND A PS3. i WANT TO UPGRADE TO A PLASMA OR LCD DISPLAY, FOR DAYTIME VIEWING. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO UPGRADE MY RECIEVER TO ONE THAT HAS TWO HDMI OUTPUTS SO I CAN SWITCH SEAMLESSLY FROM MY PS3 TO PROJECTOR TO TV AND ALSO RUN MY HI DEF SAT SIGNAL TO BOTH THROUGH ONE SELECTOR. ANY INPUT ON WHAT RECEIVER WOULD GO WELL WITH THE BP 2006'S AND CAN HELP WITH SWITCHING BETWEEN THE TWO DISPLAYS WITH HDMI INPUTS. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI splitter

JC,
The new $2k receivers will have the dual HDMI outputs you mentioned, but you could achieve the same thing with an HDMI splitter for about $200.
http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat_id=1005&sku=40926

The splitter takes a single HDMI input and has two HDMI outputs. A motovized screen with a plasma or LCD behind it would be a pretty cool setup.

Edit: Monoprice has an HDMI splittler for <$100 and a splitter cable for $14. Might be worth a try.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=3049&seq=1&format=2&style=
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011303&p_id=2522&seq=1&format=2&style=

Last edited:
E

Eltido

Audiophyte
has anyone used the $14 cable splitter? I assume the quality of the signal is why you want the $200 setup but maybe not. I have the same issue and want to be able to split the HDMI output from the receiver.

T

techgurudude

Audiophyte
The splitter will do the job if you are doing a short run, but remember that any time you split a signal of any type, you are cutting the strength of that signal in half. As HDMI generally only has a maximum transmission distance of approximately 50 feet anyway, using a hdmi cable splitter would only really be relevent in very short splits. If you are concerned about quality, which i am guessing most of the people on this forum are, you would want to go with the switch, as it is active and it amplifies the signal as it splits it, which will cause a lot less problems when doing longer HDMI runs.

E

Eltido

Audiophyte
great answer. Can I give you a little more detail. The split would be a short 3 ft run to a 60 inch plasma 1080p and a 35 ft run to a 26 inch 1080p LCD monitor. I am obviously more concerned about the 60 inch than the 26 inch quaility. What would you use? Would I really see much of a problem with the cheap splitter and the 3 foot run?

T

techgurudude

Audiophyte
If you were using the 35 foot run for the big screen I would have advised against it, but using only a 3 foot run you should be ok. I can't say for sure, as believe it or not I have nothing that even uses HDMI, lol, I just work with it a lot. I would say just hook it up and try it out with the splitter first, and if the quality isn't what you would expect, then I would go with the amplified splitter/switch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis