1706827849244.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wanna say "cool," but I'll share a prime example why I can't:
  • Efficiency: 91 dB (2.83V/1m).
  • Power handling: 300W continuous/600W peak
  • Recommended amplifier power: 100W or more
  • Nominal impedance: 4-ohms nominal, safe with amplifiers rated for 8-ohm loads
  • Frequency response: 30 Hz - 27 kHz (+3/-3 dB).
  • Crossover Freq: midrange/tweeter) - 3.1 kHz.
  • Crossover Freq: woofer/midrange) - 3.1 kHz.
  • Dual 5-way speaker terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring.
See anything questionable in these Specs?
:rolleyes:

Every time you think they may have learned a lesson, they let you down just a little bit further. :confused:

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
That's gotta be a typo huh? How can all the drivers have the same crossover.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's gotta be a typo huh? How can all the drivers have the same crossover.
The mid range drivers are just for show and don’t actually function? :p

I also question the “4ohm nominal, but safe for amps rated for 8ohm loads.”
Unpack that and consider how many nominal ratings can drop well below and do so at the most demanding part of the FR.
Yes, we’ve also seen responsible ratings and perhaps it’s a very benign 4 ohms.
Of course, until it’s tested we don’t know. So… we’ll see.

Now, can anybody verify if the price is for a pair or each?

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
The mid range drivers are just for show and don’t actually function? :p

I also question the “4ohm nominal, but safe for amps rated for 8ohm loads.”
Unpack that and consider how many nominal ratings can drop well below and do so at the most demanding part of the FR.
Yes, we’ve also seen responsible ratings and perhaps it’s a very benign 4 ohms.
Of course, until it’s tested we don’t know. So… we’ll see.

Now, can anybody verify if the price is for a pair or each?
The mid range drivers are just for show and don’t actually function? :p lolo niiice!

I briefly looked at those on their site, it is for the pair (pre-order) there are two more models.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those center speakers look odd. I have to wonder how well they work and what the compromises are.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those center speakers look odd. I have to wonder how well they work and what the compromises are.
Yup. They do.
But how much worse can they make a center than they already have?
:oops:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yup. They do.
But how much worse can they make a center than they already have?
:oops:
I wish they would list the correct crossover frequencies. That would do a lot to let us know how that design will play out. If the midrange is given a wide band (and can handle a wide band), it might work out OK.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
After reading all the negative comments from other contributes, I'm very glad we kicked Emotiva out of Australia years ago

This crap is simply food for the gulable

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wish they would list the correct crossover frequencies. That would do a lot to let us know how that design will play out. If the midrange is given a wide band (and can handle a wide band), it might work out OK.
True. The old BMR Monitor turned on its side with the Raal rotated 90º back to a vertical orientation for the Driver worked well. Certainly it wasn't perfect, but in not having matching Drivers to cancel each other out, you pretty much had to be well outside of a normal seating area to end up in a poor position.
When I first saw this new design from Emo, I was really surprised.

My brain simply won't let me give them credit for perhaps doing better until I see it proven on a bench measurement as so much else has been held back my silly things... like the C2+. *shrugs

Yes, I have trust issues. :rolleyes: :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
True. The old BMR Monitor turned on its side with the Raal rotated 90º back to a vertical orientation for the Driver worked well. Certainly it wasn't perfect, but in not having matching Drivers to cancel each other out, you pretty much had to be well outside of a normal seating area to end up in a poor position.
When I first saw this new design from Emo, I was really surprised.

My brain simply won't let me give them credit for perhaps doing better until I see it proven on a bench measurement as so much else has been held back my silly things... like the C2+. *shrugs

Dennis released a center that matches the BMR and towers :)

I bought a pair of the original Airmotiv bookshelves when they were on crazy close out. Aside from being a bit plain looking, they actually sounded pretty good. Neutral and easy to drive. I sold them to my son in law because they were a bit too large for where I wanted them and he uses them as surrounds currently.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis released a center that matches the BMR and towers :)

I bought a pair of the original Airmotiv bookshelves when they were on crazy close out. Aside from being a bit plain looking, they actually sounded pretty good. Neutral and easy to drive. I sold them to my son in law because they were a bit too large for where I wanted them and he uses them as surrounds currently.
Both the BMR Monitor as Center or the newer HT Center are definitely excellent options.

I'm not knocking all Emotiva products, but even the old B1 had a mod done by Dennis. ;) That said, their processors have left many unhappy folk in their wake. I was ready to buy some Amps only to start getting bad info from their tech guys about how they were setup and what expected output I would get from some of their customization marketing.

For the price of the Airmotiv Speakers, in their more simple forms, I would likely tend toward giving them a pass. It's when they started trying to outdo themselves with their Centers that some issues for me cropped up in trust and willingness to support them further.
To that end, they never got a dime out of me.

FWIW, I would love to see them stand up and put some good product out. We've seen several companies now put out inexpensive yet good gear. That's all I ask. Put out something solid. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Emotiva is an odd brand. Some of their stuff is really good, and many of their past speakers have measured well. The problem is that their product's lifecycles seem to go by very quickly relative to other audio companies. It's hard to keep up with whatever product lines they have, because you never know whether it's discontinued.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Emotiva is an odd brand. Some of their stuff is really good, and many of their past speakers have measured well. The problem is that their product's lifecycles seem to go by very quickly relative to other audio companies. It's hard to keep up with whatever product lines they have, because you never know whether it's discontinued.
I’ve likened them before to being adhd on the corporate level. As a company they show all the signs. Occasional competence battling with constant distraction, an inability to follow through, grand plans and visions, and…
Squirrel!

“What were we doing guys? Oh right, we need another new processor!”

:p

A

adrianconst

Enthusiast
I wanna say "cool," but I'll share a prime example why I can't:
See anything questionable in these Specs?
:rolleyes:

Every time you think they may have learned a lesson, they let you down just a little bit further. :confused:
The woofer/midrange crossover is 300 Hz. It's on emotiva website.

ROMisONLINE

ROMisONLINE

Enthusiast
I was looking on Emotiva’s website and it looks like everything is out of stock. They were my first HT purchase, with the XMC-2, 9 speakers and 2- 10 subs to match and I’ve been pretty happy with the audio quality. I hope their lack of stock is only temporary, I would hate for another audio company to go under. ✌

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis