NEW Emotiva 13.2 PrePro

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Who is inline to buy this new receiver? I think it’s in the pre order status. Right ? I’m really thinking of buying one before the prices go even higher. In a nut shell , what’s you’ll thought about it ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Who is inline to buy this new receiver? I think it’s in the pre order status. Right ? I’m really thinking of buying one before the prices go even higher. In a nut shell , what’s you’ll thought about it ?
Most of us are in the PASS-ON-IT category. I wouldn't touch it at half price.

BTW... it is not a receiver. It is a processor only.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahahahaha! Hey, I had to even the playing field. This site has the budget builders and AVS has the high end builders. I need both worlds! :p

But for reals, I'm not messing around with my next theater build. It's wife approved. She gets the swimming pool and I get the home theater. So all we need now is the new home! :D
How much is the pool budget? $75K?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just slip it all into the mortgage! :D
Reminds me of what my wife told me about one of her friends (Theresa) who got a divorce.

Theresa and her husband Mark were a new couple starting out. They bought a house for $200K.

However, Theresa found that the mortgage wasn't $200K. It was $275K. :eek:

Mark had bought a pair of speakers (doesn't recall the brand) for $75K. :D

Hence the DIVORCE. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Reminds me of what my wife told me about one of her friends (Theresa) who got a divorce.

Theresa and her husband Mark were a new couple starting out. They bought a house for $200K.

However, Theresa found that the mortgage wasn't $200K. It was $275K. :eek:

Mark had bought a pair of speakers (doesn't recall the brand) for $75K. :D

Hence the DIVORCE. :D
Silly man. He shoulda known that she needed a pool! :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
How much is the pool budget? $75K?
My hope is we find a house with a pool. Hahaha. But yeah, if it doesn't come with one, I think you're in the ballpark of what they cost. They're not "cheap" anymore. By cheap I mean less than $30k for full installation.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think you should purchase it. Let us know how it works.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm very interested in this pre/pro, but am definitely going to wait for some reviews first. They did say that the regular price is the same as the pre-order price, so I see no incentive to be an early adopter.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks Gene. But does the jump from ~$4K to ~$15-20K bear that out? Are the improvements worth that much?
It depends on your needs. Denon doesn't have the channel count or advanced bass routing.

It's sad that some people think they can equate product performance to a single SNR measurement.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
I’ve had a heck of a time with both surround receivers and processors. I had a Harman/Kardon that had tons of problems from the beginning, and it sounded terrible. Upgraded to Marantz processor to go with my Emotiva XPA-5 and it sounded great, but died just after its 3 year warranty ended. Got another and the same thing happened. I looked at other brands, but the value of the AV7702 seemed unbeatable at the time in 2015 for $1,100, so I got Marantz #3. That lasted 7 years before dying, but I was ready to try something else, especially since the current AV7706 is nearly three times what I paid for the 7702.

I got a deal on a Rotel RSP-1576 mk2 for the same price as a Marantz, and it doesn’t sound any better, and is also riddled with problems. It won’t send a signal to the subwoofer for any of the surround modes except for Dolby, and won’t connect to my computer to run the DIRAC software.

I kind of hoped to try the Emotiva MC1 or XMC-2, but this thread is discouraging. I’m not excited about the idea of Denon, who I believe is owned by the same company as Marantz. I had a nice experience with using an old Yamaha HTR in the basement for many years, but for some reason everyone on this thread seems to prefer Denon? Looks like the X2700H for $1,099 is promising, with the carrot of Dirac in a "future update." Will look for a thread specific to that.

I was curious about Dirac because room correction seems to be the most effective way to improve sound in my difficult open floor plan. The HTP-1 looks enticing since I use Roon, but it’s $1,000 over my budget, and sold out.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve had a heck of a time with both surround receivers and processors. I had a Harman/Kardon that had tons of problems from the beginning, and it sounded terrible. Upgraded to Marantz processor to go with my Emotiva XPA-5 and it sounded great, but died just after its 3 year warranty ended. Got another and the same thing happened. I looked at other brands, but the value of the AV7702 seemed unbeatable at the time in 2015 for $1,100, so I got Marantz #3. That lasted 7 years before dying, but I was ready to try something else, especially since the current AV7706 is nearly three times what I paid for the 7702.

I got a deal on a Rotel RSP-1576 mk2 for the same price as a Marantz, and it doesn’t sound any better, and is also riddled with problems. It won’t send a signal to the subwoofer for any of the surround modes except for Dolby, and won’t connect to my computer to run the DIRAC software.

I kind of hoped to try the Emotiva MC1 or XMC-2, but this thread is discouraging. I’m not excited about the idea of Denon, who I believe is owned by the same company as Marantz. I had a nice experience with using an old Yamaha HTR in the basement for many years, but for some reason everyone on this thread seems to prefer Denon? It appears they don’t offer DIRAC. I was curious about it because room correction seems to be the most effective way to improve sound in my difficult open floor plan. The HTP-1 looks enticing since I use Roon, but it’s $1,000 over my budget, and sold out.
Denon has now got some Dirac availability with their latest releases (X3800, X4800 etc). Yes, Denon & Marantz have been sister brands under same ownership for quite a few years now (and that ownership changed hands a few times, too). I've had good luck with Denon FWIW....but they don't have a pre-pro but they do have a pre-amp mode on some of their avrs that measures better than some of the Marantz pre-pros did.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Thanks, I just realized that and edited my post. So the X2800 won't have that option, and the X3800 and apparently the whole series are out of stock, at least directly at Denon. Will look around...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I kind of hoped to try the Emotiva MC1 or XMC-2, but this thread is discouraging. I’m not excited about the idea of Denon, who I believe is owned by the same company as Marantz. I had a nice experience with using an old Yamaha HTR in the basement for many years, but for some reason everyone on this thread seems to prefer Denon? Looks like the X2700H for $1,099 is promising, with the carrot of Dirac in a "future update." Will look for a thread specific to that.

I was curious about Dirac because room correction seems to be the most effective way to improve sound in my difficult open floor plan. The HTP-1 looks enticing since I use Roon, but it’s $1,000 over my budget, and sold out.
The claims that so call separates such as the AV7705/06 being more reliable than the AVRs are based on myths. Having said that, AVRs with many channels do produce more heat if pushed hard but that can be mitigated easily with those $20 fans that are inaudible from 10 ft or more when run in the lowest speed.

So with you luck on the AV770Xs, you may want to consider the relatively cheap AVRs such as the AVR-X3700H, AVR-X3800H if you need Dirac Live, and used them as prepros, or the Yamaha RX-A6A if you are not too keen on RCs, Audssey or not. If you like the Marantz sound (personally I don't believe that those Marantz AVP has an audibly different sound at all, on all else being equal basis), then you probably would prefer the Denon too because the two brands have shared much of the parts and circuitry since around 2016 though things might have changed in the upcoming new models.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Not feeling lucky, huh? :D

Last edited:
Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Ha! The schadenfreude is visceral!

I don't quite understand this comment -- "If you like the Marantz sound (personally I don't believe that at all..), then you probably prefer..."

What's there to believe? I just said it was a vast improvement over H/K, not a very unique opinion, and I didn't notice much improvement from Rotel.

I've read the reviews, and I am leaning toward pre-ordering an X3800H. Would be nice to get dates on when they'll actually be available and know how long I'll have to listen to everything through my TV after returning the Rotel.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ha! The schadenfreude is visceral!

I don't quite understand this comment -- "If you like the Marantz sound (personally I don't believe that at all..), then you probably prefer..."

What's there to believe? I just said it was a vast improvement over H/K, not a very unique opinion, and I didn't notice much improvement from Rotel.

I've read the reviews, and I am leaning toward pre-ordering an X3800H. Would be nice to get dates on when they'll actually be available and know how long I'll have to listen to everything through my TV after returning the Rotel.
I edited it to make it easier (hopefully) for you to understand, if not, just ignore it, at least I tried.. It's clearly just my opinion based on my own experience anyway. Hard to go wrong with the X3800H, money you saved vs Marantz AVP might be enough to cover the fees for the Dirac Live upgrade, not sure about the DLBC version at this point.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
No worries, I was just joking about the teasing.

So I when I was initiating the return of the Rotel, the place offered me an equal exchange of an Arcam AV-40 instead, so I need to research that now before I decide.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No worries, I was just joking about the teasing.

So I when I was initiating the return of the Rotel, the place offered me an equal exchange of an Arcam AV-40 instead, so I need to research that now before I decide.
Keep in mind too the D+M AVRs don't have balanced connections. Other than that, if you use preamp mode they are fully functional prepros.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis