New Eagles DVD "Farewell tour" (yeah right)

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I picked up the new Eagles DVD yesterday. Here are a few thoughts:

I know I shouldn't compare it to"Hell Freezes Over" but I am sure that will happen as that is one of those benchmark DVD's that happen on rare occassion.
HFO was, and still is, a great concert and to me, shows an aging, maturing Eagles band that is very tight musically and with great production. It's an "unplugged" set, and is age appropriate. If there's anything i can't stand, it's aging rockers who try to rock still (a la Rolling Stones, that jerk David Lee Roth, even Paul McCartney). Rod Stewart is a great example of someone who's act hasn't gotten tired as he is now a crooner and has aged gracefully. John Mellencamp is another.

Well this Eagles DVD, although not bad, came across as a group trying to rock. The sound is great on most tracks. The sub sounded nice and tight and the DTS was great. The new songs are really stinky cheese though. Especially Joe Walsh's song about his recovery from alcoholism. I liked the stuff they do from their solo careers like Boys Of Summer, All She Wants To Do is Dance and even Glen Frey's You Belong to the City.

But if you are like me and have played Hell Freezes Over a ton, this DVD is not woth the $30. maybe I have to listen to it again.

Personally, I would like to see more DVD's like "Led Zeppelin" when the group is at their best and remastered like Jimmy Page did with that one. The best music DVD ever IMO.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Like yourself I picked up the new Eagles DVD and I was disapointed. I suspected it would not be up to HFO's standards, but it's not even close IMO. It emphasised to me what a landmark concert DVD HFO really is. If you want to see and hear a recent great concert by a musician in his 50s, buy James Taylor, Pull Over. It's wonderfully recorded, great dynamic range and the whole concert has great gusto.

S

steve.m

Enthusiast
Guys, even with the negative reviews I will still have to buy it. My wife and I were at the concert in Melbourne Australia where they announced that they would be recording that nights preformance along with the following nights. This footage was to be used to produce their new DVD. I loved the show and will buy it even if it's just to watch once then have it collect dust in the rack. :)

race4aliving

race4aliving

Audioholic
I just watched too. it's not on the same level as HFO but it's still pretty good. Steve M. if you were there you have to get it, it would be cool to see your self on it.

S

steve.m

Enthusiast
Race, yeah I agree it would be cool (5 seconds of fame and all that) and I promise will be looking. We had good seats but they weren't "front row" so the chances of being caught on camera are remote I would guess. The concert was fantastic and the atmosphere was electric (I know an old cliche :rolleyes: ). I haven't seen the disc advertised in OZ yet but hopefully they caught the true atmosphere. I'll wait for the PAL version before I add it to the collection. :)

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Buy it a BJ's

I picked the new Eagles up at BJ's just last night for $17.99. I listened to the first disk and thought it was good. My wife and I will do the whole thing tonight. Yes, HFO is a benchmark DVD. Farewell is also one of the best DTS jobs I've heard (1 listening). My one complaint is the sax in "You belong to the City" is planted directly in my left ear (rear surround). I feel like I should bring my speaker stands from behind the couch and use them as "presence" speakers in front although Yamaha would probably sue me; I'm using a Pioneer. HFO gives you the feeling like no other DVD I own, that you are sitting in the croud front center.

By no means am I a huge Eagles fan, but I have to admit that their body of work is impressive.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Before getting "Farewell 1 Tour", I enjoyed listening to HFO from my DTS Music disc. Of course, I had no Video.

Well, in spite of HFO's better rendition and better sound engineering, I'm very happy to have the Melbourne concert on DVD and enjoyed the presence of these 4 wonderful guys. The Chemistry with the audience was amazing.

S

SeenThatMovie2

Audioholic Intern
Who's guitar is this?

I own both HFO and the Melbourne concert. In my entire collection of 2 music dvds I own (so far ) they are my favorites. :D

Seriously, I thoroughly enjoy each of the dvds. If I had to choose between the 2 I wouldn't-I love them both.

My take on Farewell, is that the band is more relaxed and seems to be having fun, whereas in HFO the perfomances were more subdued. This may be in part due to the music choices themselves, since FWT1 does have more rock-type selections. And the audience is far bigger, the atmosphere was more energetic and as T. Schmidt (i think) stated in the interview section, the band can feed off that energy. My only real complaint is the camera went to the audience far more than I care for. I paid $$ to see and hear the band, not be distracted by audience members jouncing around.

I don't remember about the sax, I got kinda lost in watching the dvd, but on Teq. Sunrise, the horn came from my back right speaker in 6.1. very cool.

hmmm "crooner"- R. Stewart-one of his songs came on the radio this morning and I cringe every time I hear him "crooning" on the radio...right b4 I change the station. Not slamming your opinion, and nothing against R. Stewart. I just don't like his type voice for that type music, but that's just me.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I agree Rod Stewart doesn't have a "crooner" voice. But there comes a time when an aging rocker looks rediculous and Rod has class and realized this. It also extends his career by a few years too with his new act.

BTW, where was Don Felder in this new Eagles DVD? It's common knowlede that he and Glen Frey hate each other with a passion, but he was on the HFO DVD. The new guy did an admirable job though.

I agree..too many crowd shots of cougars. :)

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
Eagles Farewell great!

I really enjoyed the emphasis on electric vs. the acoustic on HFO. Elliot Scheiner's mix on this one is fantastic too, really bringing out Tim Schmitt's bass playing and the whole bottom end. I thought he mixed the horns perfectly too - audible but not overwhelming. The only negative for me was a little too much of Joe Walsh's non-Eagles work. Henley's solo work has really aged well - it sounds fresh and involving here. Listening to this made me realize why the Eagles sound as good today as they did yesterday - it's the songs man! Henly, Frey and company just flat out wrote great tunes, and I think that's why they still enjoy playing the same stuff year after year.

S

SeenThatMovie2

Audioholic Intern
I really enjoyed the emphasis on electric vs. the acoustic on HFO.
this is exactly why I thoroughly enjoy each of the dvd's. different but excellent sound from each one. The guys are spot on with their harmonies, and play so well together and yet , to me don't sound overpracticed to the point its blase' (sp?)

But there comes a time when an aging rocker looks rediculous and Rod has class and realized this. It also extends his career by a few years too with his new act.
I don't think the Eagles look ridiculous and I'm not sure if you are referring to one in particular person, or the whole . It's not as if they are crashing guitars and slinging their hair/heads around.

Again, no personal offense, but RS simply doesn't have the voice for the mellow type music he is trying to push over. It's embarrassingly awful. If this is class-singing songs unmatched to your voice -then what's wrong
with some men performing music on stage that does suit their voices and have a good time doing it. They're all trying to bring in revenue and who can blame them for that, we all have bills, wants and needs.

I'm just bewildered at your statement and the comparison...to me there is no comparison, they are/were different type performers "Then" and now.

In any case, may we all enjoy our favorite music performers on our favorite home theater setups....here here.

Wondered what happened with D. Felder too. Read somewhere that he was fired and sued in retaliation. Don't know what it was all about or how it wound up.

"IDIC"

Last edited:
Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Seen that movie2:

No offence taken. I was not saying the Eagles looked rediculous, just that HFO seemed a little more "age appropriate".

The Stones look ridiculous. And Paul McCartney is just flat out boring. And I love the Beatles and Wings.

It's kind of like the last time I saw AC/DC. I actually fell asleep. OK, maybe passed out :) I seen them 4 times, in their heydey. People who had seen them for the first time that night were amazed, but I was just seeing a tired act. I know, we all get old. I just like to remember performers at their peak I guess.

S

SeenThatMovie2

Audioholic Intern
The Stones look ridiculous. And Paul McCartney is just flat out boring. And I love the Beatles and Wings.
amen!

I was not saying the Eagles looked rediculous, just that HFO seemed a little more "age appropriate".
well, I still don't understand what you mean by that. maybe they shoulda strummed walking canes, tickled the ivory (false) teeth while D.Henley percussed his drumsticks on a hoveround? (just teasing ya)

Guess we won't have a meeting of the minds here, but I respect your opinion.

so, how ya feel about eric clapton?

Last edited:
N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
From the concert DVDs of Clapton that I have seen, he still seems to have "it". You see him on stage playing around with some soft rifts, then he gets this little smile on his face, lowers his hand to turn the volume on his guitar all the way up and then OUT COMES LAYLA. Gives me goose bumps almost every time.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Geezer Rock

Nick250 said:
From the concert DVDs of Clapton that I have seen, he still seems to have "it". You see him on stage playing around with some soft rifts, then he gets this little smile on his face, lowers his hand to turn the volume on his guitar all the way up and then OUT COMES LAYLA. Gives me goose bumps almost every time.
I second that.....Clapton hasn't lost a step. Maybe because "the blues" is ageless. BB King is still enjoyable to watch and he's as old as Methusala.

Two of my DVD's that are musicly great, but are hard to watch IMO are The Moody Blues Live at Albert Hall and House of Yes. Ray Thomas for the MB is beginning to look feeble. Only Justin Hayward seems to have withstood the calendar with grace. The base player for Yes looks like **** Butkus in drag and its hard to watch Steve Squire pick the guitar with all the liver spots on his hands. Sorry if I grossed anyone out. By the way, I'm a geezer too.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Eric is a perfect example of a maturing musician. Layla on the unplugged CD is a perfect example. He changed that song from the original. He's more bluesy than rock now.

He even looks like a class act. Don Henley with the spiked hair at his age looks plain stupid. And that's from my girlfriend's mouth. :)

Bruce Springsteen was just announced yesterday to play Vancouver. an "acoustic set". The Boss is not what he was before. This is "age appropriate" to be doing an acoustic set. Would I pay $130 to see it? Hell no.

Last edited:
Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I finally watched the second disc of this hogwash.

Without a doubt, the cheesiest concert I have ever seen. From the trumpets to the cougar women in the over abudant crowd shots, to Joe Walsh's embarassing, annoying antics, this concert sucks. Big time. The sound is very good but I was constantly laughing at it. I felt like I was at the circus. I really thought Joe Walsh was cool. not now. Glen Frey sucked too. Don Henley is the only saving grace.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
I finally watched the second disc of this hogwash.

Without a doubt, the cheesiest concert I have ever seen. From the trumpets to the cougar women in the over abudant crowd shots, to Joe Walsh's embarassing, annoying antics, this concert sucks. Big time. The sound is very good but I was constantly laughing at it. I felt like I was at the circus. I really thought Joe Walsh was cool. not now. Glen Frey sucked too. Don Henley is the only saving grace.
I loved the crowd scenes, people signing the songs, dancing it out and enjoying themselves thoroughly. To me it's a great complement to the concert.

Reminds me of Elton John's "Greatest Hits, One Night Only" DVD of a concert played at Madison Square Gardens in October 2000. There were as many if not more scenes of beautiful people enjoying the concert. Each time I watch that one, I can't but remember that this is in New York, 11 months before 9/11. Are all these people in close ups scenes alive today? They looked so happy on that night. Can anyone here, reading this post, say that they have recognized someone they know in that concert... ?

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Its always amazing, sometimes funny, how the same source material can evoke such vastly differing responses. I thought the DVD was soo good, it has now become my #1 demo disc. I'll provide reasons later. At least one probably stems from the fact that these kinds of DVDs (live concerts) play very well on my particular setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis