New center to start replacing speakers.

D

danjay

Audiophyte
Ok I’m trying figure out what direction to go into with speakers here mainly just not happy with dialog of my Aperion audio Center channel . I like the towers but dialog is not the best it can be with center channel. Room is 20’x20’. Here’s what I have now marantz 7704, Emotiva 11 channel amp, Aperion audio versus grand lrc. Def tech studio monitor 350 surrounds. Def tech reads bipols , subs pair of pb12 pluses. Budget is 1-1200 for center and towers about same for each if needed , like the towers but dialog is very spotty with center and want more clarity. Please any insight would be great. Been looking at the def tech cs980, but I,don’t think I need any more bass out of the sub portion of the speaker ,and all out of rca plug ins on amp.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
A lot of times, bad dialogue intelligibility is a setup issue. Make sure the center is not placed in a congested area. The further away you can get it from everything, the better. Make sure that no automated room correction is turned on, such as Audyssey or YPAO or MCACC. Many times those things can degrade sound instead of improving it. Make sure the bass in your system isn't running too hot. Boosted bass can mask dialogue frequency ranges.

D

danjay

Audiophyte
A lot of times, bad dialogue intelligibility is a setup issue. Make sure the center is not placed in a congested area. The further away you can get it from everything, the better. Make sure that no automated room correction is turned on, such as Audyssey or YPAO or MCACC. Many times those things can degrade sound instead of improving it. Make sure the bass in your system isn't running too hot. Boosted bass can mask dialogue frequency ranges.
So I should not use the Audyssey to calibrate system and speakers?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So I should not use the Audyssey to calibrate system and speakers?
Try turning Audyssey off and seeing if that helps. Sometimes Audyssey can do more damage than help.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis