daddyo

daddyo

Audiophyte
Recently got an SVS Ultra center to try out as an upgrade to my Elac Debut 2.0 center (5.2) in a dedicated 5.1.2 HT system. The Elac was fine but it's "laid back" personality was likely better for music than HT. The Ultra seems a bit "edgier" in it's tonality and a step better for dialogue, at least that's the impression to date. I used YPAO to adjust the distances and volume today and tweaked the cc up in volume by a couple of dB and raised the 2-4k Hz eq a couple of clicks. Any other suggestions ?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
YPAO usually does a pretty decent job. If the centre is on a shelf or cabinet, line up the front of the speaker with the front of the shelf so that there are no reflections off of the shelf. May need to rerun YPAO if you move it significantly. Proximity of the L/R speakers can affect the sound if placed close to the TV. If the receiver has a "center spread" option, sometimes that can improve dialogue but it's a personal preference.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As @Eppie said, and angle the center speaker so that it points at your ears.

The SVS Ultra center is a much better design than the Elac Debut 2.0 center that have the typical issues when sitting at the side. For me that was solved by replacing my center speaker (similar design as the Elac) with a bookshelf speaker in the same series.

daddyo

daddyo

Audiophyte
As @Eppie said, and angle the center speaker so that it points at your ears.

The SVS Ultra center is a much better design than the Elac Debut 2.0 center that have the typical issues when sitting at the side. For me that was solved by replacing my center speaker (similar design as the Elac) with a bookshelf speaker in the same series.
Yes, I have noticed that the 3-way is better off-axis. For HT, we sit within 12 degrees of on-axis but we often have the news on when we're in adjacent room and the dialogue is clearer with the SVS.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I have noticed that the 3-way is better off-axis. For HT, we sit within 12 degrees of on-axis but we often have the news on when we're in adjacent room and the dialogue is clearer with the SVS.
It's been mentioned by others that that is usually the sign of a good speaker, when you go into another room and the dialogue is still clear.

daddyo

daddyo

Audiophyte
My issue involves old ears and damaged hearing and I have gone from TV speakers to HTiB to the Elacs Debuts 2.0 to now the SVS center and some progress has been made with dialogue clarity but incremental at best. I've done most of the obvious setup and room improvement steps within the WAF allowance but likely near best that I can hope for. Closed captions to the rescue.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My issue involves old ears and damaged hearing and I have gone from TV speakers to HTiB to the Elacs Debuts 2.0 to now the SVS center and some progress has been made with dialogue clarity but incremental at best. I've done most of the obvious setup and room improvement steps within the WAF allowance but likely near best that I can hope for. Closed captions to the rescue.
Must suck to be constrained by wife, can you convince her that could sound quality is Worth bigger Or better speakers? SVS is supposed to be pretty good just needs to be properly calibrated. Unless you dislike the sound signature, keep trying to get it to sound better.
At least have it ear level I said above or facing directly at the seating position, well not being too low to the ground!!!
Same height as the front speakers will be perfect, But that’s not always possible.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis