New cables: Monoprice or...?

P

pyrocyborg

Audiophyte
Hi!

My system is comprised of a NAD C326BEE integrated amplifier, a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and a pair of Polk LSi7.

I am willing to buy new cables, as I currently own Monoprice speaker wire, and a cheap interconnect. I want to know if quality wise, speaker wire from monoprice is the same than let's say, Blue Jeans Cable. It's almost the same price with shipping to Canada, so it's not really important.

Also, as for the gauge, I currently use 14AWG for a little less than 10 a 8 feet run. Is it enough for 4 ohm speakers like the LSis?

What about interconnects? How do they compared to each other? I don't wanna ditch a lot of money, but Blue Jeans Cable would only be a lot more (while being reasonnalbe) and would probably be shielded against RFI/EMI, as I tsuspect my system could be a target (I hear some static/electricity noise in the back wall). If it's of higher quality, and it's shielded, I might go for their products.

Are monoprice kinda the same, or cheaper quality wise? Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I've been happy with the HDMI and optical cables that I bought from Monoprice, and my buddy is happy with the premium interconnects that he bought from them. The lower price interconnects that I bought work just fine, but the connections are a bit loose and were a bit more work for me to get to stay on. I haven't tried their speaker cable, but I'd be surprised if there's any difference in performance - the differences might be in the terminations and aesthetics.

For determining which gauge of wire to use, I prefer the site here that has a nice table near the beginning of the page.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi!

My system is comprised of a NAD C326BEE integrated amplifier, a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and a pair of Polk LSi7.

I am willing to buy new cables, as I currently own Monoprice speaker wire, and a cheap interconnect. I want to know if quality wise, speaker wire from monoprice is the same than let's say, Blue Jeans Cable. It's almost the same price with shipping to Canada, so it's not really important.

Also, as for the gauge, I currently use 14AWG for a little less than 10 a 8 feet run. Is it enough for 4 ohm speakers like the LSis?

What about interconnects? How do they compared to each other? I don't wanna ditch a lot of money, but Blue Jeans Cable would only be a lot more (while being reasonnalbe) and would probably be shielded against RFI/EMI, as I tsuspect my system could be a target (I hear some static/electricity noise in the back wall). If it's of higher quality, and it's shielded, I might go for their products.

Are monoprice kinda the same, or cheaper quality wise? Thanks!
I would suggest getting the cables you need from monoprice and use what you now have if it is long enough. 14 ga wire at 10 feet is about 1% resistance of a 4 ohm speaker, a very good number so you go ahead and keep using it if it is long enough.
You can even buy 14 ga landscape wire at a home supply store if the price is less.

P

pyrocyborg

Audiophyte
Allright thanks, that's what I thought! I want a secure connection, so it's at least monoprice premium. As for the gauge, I guess I'm allright then!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis