New Cable, Worse Picture?!

M

manickx

Audiophyte
Hello people.

I've been trolling the forums for the past few weeks trying to learn what I can about home A/v and thought some of you could assist me with an issue I am having.

I recently purchased Monster S-Vid Cable (mvsv22m) and Component cables (mv2cv2m) to hook up my Satillite reciever and DVD player (Svid - Sat, Comp - DVD).

They are replacing the co-ax connection the reciever had and the composite wires the DVD player used.

They are being connected to my 51" Toshiba HX widescreen (51hx83)

Now, my problem, is that the picture has not improved AT ALL, and if anything, has gotten WORSE (this is the case with replacing the satillite co-ax connection with the Svid)

Whats going on here? I am kinda confused... I just dropped $160 CND on cables that seemed to do nothing :confused:

Now, my DVD player is NOT Progressive scan so that may be the culprit (it is a rather old player that I need to upgrade). But shouldn't I of have seen even a minor difference?

As for the satillite connection, I am baffled. How/Why is it worse? What suggestions may any of you have for improving the image?

Sorry for the long post or if I left out any crucial details, I am still new to the whole home A/v world... :eek: But I would appreciate any assistance, and if you need any more info just ask

Thanks,
- manickx

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Some Help?

Hi there, First...return the cables if you can....you got ripped off, sorry to tell you that...here is a hint...there is no need to drop tons of cash on Monster when other cables are just as good if not better....Here is a quote from this site about speakers cables, just to give you an idea:

Interestingly, the New Scientists recently commented on the London Heathrow Hi Fi Show, saying that among the cables selling for up to £30,000 for 6 metres, they found Quad demonstrating their latest speakers to great enthusiasm. The orange cable to the speakers looked oddly familiar. When asked about it, Tony Faulkner, the recording engineer demonstrating them (who'd used the speakers as monitors while recording Saint-Saen's complete works for piano & orchestra, Gramophone's Record of the Year), said of the cables:
"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..." - New Scientist Magazine

Now onto the important stuff....can to describe the problem a little better? Are you getting snow, moving lines, ghosting...etc What's "wrong" with the image from the SAT box....and are you having a worse picture from the DVD player as well?

U

Unregistered

he..sorry to disagree, but cables, esp monster, do make a lot of difference. I have a dlp and when I hooked it up with better cables, my picture did improve tremendously. First, you need to make sure that you upgrade to a progressive scan dvd player, and if possible get a dvd player that does upconversion 1080i. Second, you have a high definition TV, so you need HDTV. Once you get HD, find out if the receiver has DVI. If it does use that if it is active. If not then use component not s-video.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Unregistered said:
he..sorry to disagree, but cables, esp monster, do make a lot of difference.
No they don't. All you need is a good constructed cable. The name on it is irrelevant.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Couldn't agree more

Ryche...you're right...it is the construction for the cable not the name....and most cables can be home made for much less and you get the pride to say you made them!

M

manickx

Audiophyte
JohnA said:
Hi there, First...return the cables if you can....you got ripped off, sorry to tell you that...here is a hint...there is no need to drop tons of cash on Monster when other cables are just as good if not better....
Everyone says that but no one ever proposes an alternative. I got my MC for nearly 50% off, I am satisfied in that respect, but I am still disappointed in the picture quality (which I doubt buying another type of cable will remedy?)

Anyways,

I thank you all for the advice you have given me so far. I will be buying a progressive scan DVD player w/ upconversion... I've just been researching brands/pricing over the past couple days - any recommendations?

As for the Sat. signal it is still the same... when I referred to 'bad picture' I meant it is 'blocky'. The edges of people or moving objects are blurry and the screen is just generally, well, 'blocky'.

I have thought of upgrading to an HDTV Sat. reciever... but I really dont want to unless it is necessary.

Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis