New Bookshelf Speakers

B

Brenton

Audiophyte
First off let me say I move a lot because of my job, I'd say every 3 years or so. Therefore, I would like to stay with smaller lighter speakers, thus bookshelf. I know you guys/girls will have different opinions, so my ears will have the final word. But anyways, for about $500-$600 or less per speaker. what brand and model do you recommend for fronts and center channel. Surrounds will follow suit later. Feel free to name other brands not listed below. Anyways, I've seen a lot of positive reviews for def tech Studio Monitor 65 for the fronts and CS-8040HD for the center. Also SVS Ultra Bookshelf and Center. I will be moving in about 3 months so I don't know what my future room layout is yet. Also my avr is a Denon avr-x3100w. To give you an idea of my a/v habits- general TV watching 45%, gaming 30%, movies 20%, and music 5%.I plan on keeping the new speakers for at least 10 years or so if I can. So the price will not be that big of deal over the long term. Thanks for your input

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
As far as your DefTech idea, also consider another SM65 for your Center, many people that have tried it, love it, because of its MTM design it will work either vertical or horizontal and will give you a prefect matching front three. The only thing you'd want to stay away from would be burying it in a cabinet, but you wouldn't want to do that with the 8040 either.
With the budget you've laid out you can get all the referbed off e-bay from bajawaverunner (an official DefTech refurb seller) for $900 or less, which would give you enough left over for a decent Sub, or even a pair of SM45's for your surrounds right up front.

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
Don't laugh - I'd buy 3 pair @ $56 a pair. These Dayton Air's with the AMT tweets are very nice stock but with Fleawatt's simple mods the bar is raised considerably.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Don't laugh - I'd buy 3 pair @ $56 a pair. These Dayton Air's with the AMT tweets are very nice stock but with Fleawatt's simple mods the bar is raised considerably.

Which mods are those?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I kind of suspected that's what was involved. Although it's hard to criticize a speaker that costs less than the shipping on most regulation bookshelves, there's no way to significantly improve the sound by upgrading the two components in the stock crossover or adding some fill. The problem with the speaker is that it doesn't have a low pass filter to deal with the woofer breakup modes. I tried to fix the problem, but the little AMT tweeter drops like a rock below 5 kHz, and that will leave a significant hole in the response once the woofer is rolled off. Here's the stock speaker's on-axis response:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kojemx354e9qae/652 Air on Axis.png?dl=0

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
I thought the Airs a definite improvement over the B22's I sold. Different strokes.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I thought the Airs a definite improvement over the B22's I sold. Different strokes.
Well, there was no implied endorsement of the BS22 in my post, although it does have tons more bass than the Air.

P

Poultrygeist

Junior Audioholic
The sealed cabinet and larger woofer with it's more defined bass is just one of the reasons I prefer the Airs.

I also noticed a significant improvement by simply upgrading the single cap on the original B652's.

As I said different strokes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis