New Bookshelf speaker advice

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
And done,
Vento Ref 9.2 dc stand mounts with HSU ULS-15’s

Two speakers, two subs I’m calling it good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And done,

Two speakers, two subs I’m calling it good.
Looks nice, how does it sound? I imagine pretty damn good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Might not have any relevance but I was just watching the opening scene of Unbroken, and some of Midway. Even at -15mv can’t imagine using bookshelf speakers. Or sealed subs!!! Lol

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Looks nice, how does it sound? I imagine pretty damn good.
Yes indeed, they sound great, glad I finally made this move.
Now with that said I did notice while listening to this one song I’ve always liked, that the 9.2’s are probably not going to be quite as forgiving of some lesser quality recordings as the Aria’s were of those same recordings. They definitely didn’t hide anything or smooth it over on that track.
Overall the voicing and clarity was much better with the Cantons on everything when I did my side by side listening. That was enough to convince me to pack away the Focal’s for now.

The two HSU subwoofers are just amazing, I’ve never experienced anything like it to be honest.
I’ve got them set pretty low so most of the time they kind of just disappear and I found myself checking to see if they were actually playing, but then this Marcus Miller track came on and I was like holy shite that sounds so freaking good, that’s some seriously good sounding bass, so then I throw on Eoto - Fire the lazers turn up the volume on the Outlaw receiver and was absolutely blown away by how low and tight the bass was not to mention how hard it was hitting.

I’m thrilled with how it’s coming together so far.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Might not have any relevance but I was just watching the opening scene of Unbroken, and some of Midway. Even at -15mv can’t imagine using bookshelf speakers. Or sealed subs!!! Lol
It certainly isn’t in my case as this setup is just for 2 channel music and I’ve honestly never had the volume to -15 in this room.
-25 is about as loud as I will listen, generally for much shorter periods as well. I think I hit -20 once or twice but for me that is pretty damn loud in the house with -30 ~ -40 being more average listening levels for me.
My Tv/movie listening levels are probably even lower 90% of the time. I have a single 10” sub which is plenty for my LFE needs.

I’ve damaged my hearing enough during my younger days, need to be a little conservative at this point and consider the long game.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It certainly isn’t in my case as this setup is just for 2 channel music and I’ve honestly never had the volume to -15 in this room.
-25 is about as loud as I will listen, generally for much shorter periods as well. I think I hit -20 once or twice but for me that is pretty damn loud in the house with -30 ~ -40 being more average listening levels for me.
My Tv/movie listening levels are probably even lower 90% of the time. I have a single 10” sub which is plenty for my LFE needs.

I’ve damaged my hearing enough during my younger days, need to be a little conservative at this point and consider the long game.
I appreciate the response. I think I knew when I posted, my post was irrelevant. Especially considering this threads course. Just to be clear, I wasn’t making a dig as I have no doubt whatsoever that your system sounds great. I had just finished some QT with my system(botched out a spot in the schedule for my bday, alone time lol), and as I was scrolling, the BS thread popped up. It was a knee jerk reaction, so I may remove my post, as it adds basic nothing here.
Carry on with your rig. I’m sure it’s great.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
I appreciate the response. I think I knew when I posted, my post was irrelevant. Especially considering this threads course. Just to be clear, I wasn’t making a dig as I have no doubt whatsoever that your system sounds great. I had just finished some QT with my system(botched out a spot in the schedule for my bday, alone time lol), and as I was scrolling, the BS thread popped up. It was a knee jerk reaction, so I may remove my post, as it adds basic nothing here.
Carry on with your rig. I’m sure it’s great.
I’m sure my setup could sound better with some measuring and EQ’ing but I’m not there just yet and my needs are pretty simple in truth, but no worries I didn’t take your post personally or as a dig and I think your view is certainly relevant if you take into account personal wants and needs on an individual basis.
While I don’t listen to movies at reference levels I did move my small towers into my HT setup where they work just fine and even better when I use it for music as I have just one 10” subwoofer out there, so the extra frequency depth certainly helps.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
And done,
Did you buy Vento Ref 9.2 dc stands or go with a 3rd party? I noticed the Vento matching stands run $500 and I can get 24" stands from Monoprice for about $100, Do the speakers bolt to the stands or just sit on top? Thanks!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Did you buy Vento Ref 9.2 dc stands or go with a 3rd party? I noticed the Vento matching stands run $500 and I can get 24" stands from Monoprice for about $100, Do the speakers bolt to the stands or just sit on top? Thanks!
The LS300 Canton stands are $179. The Cantons screw into them with 2 screws. I have the Vento 836, not the 9.2 though. You can also add sand if you need extra stability.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I was comparing the Vento 836 and 9.2 specs and the 9.2 is 30% heaver but only about a half inch bigger in WxD and an inch higher. Did they put an extra brick inside? lol

Your setup looks great. Congrats! Thank you.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
Nope, I was not willing to pay that price for Canton branded stands so I’m using my Focal 900 stands on these for the moment. I also tried them on my Wharfdale ST-1 stands without issue.

I’d actually planned to buy the $500+- SolidSteel SS-6 speaker stands. I’d certainly do that before paying the same for the Canton stands.
I’m also thinking of having a local metal fabricator build me a pair of heavy duty stands that can straddle my two subwoofers giving me more setup and placement options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis