NEW BIGSCREEN--> Need help!

C

calgarianperson

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking at High Def big screens and i would like your guys reccomendations. If I alot 5 grand for a screen what would be the best one i could get that was at least 60 inches. DVI is a must!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure to look through the prior posts and read about the different technologies... CRT rear projection/front projection will give you the best image and black levels. LCD/DLP/LCOS will all offer fixed pixel display devices that will vary greatly across a long line of products. Plasma is great, but out of your price for 60+ inches.

I am also assuming that front projection is not appropriate for the room you are putting the display in because of room layout or light control issues.

I would look at the new Sony LCD televisions. Go to Best Buy and several other local stores and get right up on top of the TVs there and start looking for problems.

Sony also offers most of their product with good discrete IR codes which makes integrating it into any automation system a lot better.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
Having calibrated both the Sony and several other brands in the same price range and looking at the latest offerings at CES. You can do alot better for your Home Theater dollar with the other brands Hitachi is one to look at
Epson is another JMOHO ;)

C

calgarianperson

Junior Audioholic
is front projection a projector... if so it is possible to install it but since it is open at the rear and watching the superbowl in the dark isnt going to work i think that oprion is most likely out. i haven't set a definite budget on the screen yet but i'm looking not to go too exspensive as i dont know how long it will be until an upgrade is in order. if i go with rear projection or lcd how big could i go under 5 grand? i don't want to spend too much here so if i can't get it a good size in my price range than i will put in a projector and make it 104 inches or bigger!

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Keep in mind that if you or your kids will be playing a lot video games or using this display as a computer monitor, then DLP is your best choice. Plasma, CRT and even LCD can be subject to burn in issues. If that's not how you will be using your tv I wouldn't worry much about it. Though, you'll still need to be judicious how much you view the 4:3 setting. Using a zoom mode most the time with 4:3 material with anything but DLP is something I'd recommend.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly: At $5,000 I would get a 42" EDTV and a 106" projector with a drop down screen that comes down in front of the plasma...

Wait, that's basically what I did, except I use a 50" plasma.

The plasma handles my daytime/daily viewing, the projector is for movies with my wife... or better yet, action/adventure with some friends, beer, and the sub turned up above 1/20th volume.

C

calgarianperson

Junior Audioholic
also how would i do that with my reciever--- would i hace to have dvi or component switching to decide which screen it appeared on?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Ah... well, I actually use component, composite, and S-video for everything and I use a video distribution amplifier (www.extron.com) to send video to both display devices at the same time. It doesn't hurt the plasma or projector to have video sent to it when it isn't on, so there is always video at both locations.

Then when I want to watch the plasma, I have the plasma on, and when I want to switch (I use Crestron remember), I just press a button on my remote and it turns the plasma off and the projector on. I don't have a motorized screen, but a $200.00 pull down 16:9 screen. It works well and will be better when I can afford to switch my cheap pull down screen with a nice tab-tensioned motorized screen... sometime after I'm in my new home.

Anyway, there are tons of projectors out there falling into many different price categories. The new Panasonic AE700 and the new Sanyo Z3 are both very good values for your money. Check www.projectorcentral.com for top notch projector information, it is (IMHO) as good as this site is but focused specifically on projectors and nothing else.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis