New B&W 601's purchased...now what about stands?

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Hey-

I was wondering if anyone knows of decent places online to purchase stands for my new speakers. I just got my 601's today and I'm dying to get them up on stands and try 'em out. I've checked over at partsexpress, and though they had many capable pairs, I wasn't overwhelmed by their offerings. Can anyone point me in the direction of a site where I can pick up some stands. The store I got my speakers from had ver slim pickings, so I'm hoping I can find something decent on the web.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about break in periods for the 600 series B&W's. Bot the site and the owners manual fails to mention this information.

Thanks a lot.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Break with the types of materials used in todays loudspeakers is negligable. After a few days they'll be 100% as the suspension loosens, but probably are now.

-Chad

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Some so-called "audiophile" stands are pure BS and cost more money that a decent pair of speakers. I've seen some stands with a hole inside to be filled with sand from the Sahara or something like that.

I made my own stands in nice rigid south american precious wood with low resonance tire bases and an "audiophile grade" layer of lacquer (the one you can find in the Stradivarius violins) with the difference that i found the lacquer in HomeMart.

O

Ohmage

Audioholic Intern
corysmith01 said:
Hey-

I was wondering if anyone knows of decent places online to purchase stands for my new speakers. I just got my 601's today and I'm dying to get them up on stands and try 'em out. I've checked over at partsexpress, and though they had many capable pairs, I wasn't overwhelmed by their offerings. Can anyone point me in the direction of a site where I can pick up some stands. The store I got my speakers from had ver slim pickings, so I'm hoping I can find something decent on the web.

On a side note, does anyone know anything about break in periods for the 600 series B&W's. Bot the site and the owners manual fails to mention this information.

Thanks a lot.
I do not know too much about speaker stands, but congrats on your purchase. However, I had an audition of the DM601 S3 a couple of days ago, and the experience was mesmerizing; these are great sounding speakers for the money. Mind you, they were powered by audio equipment from Moon. These speakers were singing "In Trutina" from my Hayley Westenra's "Pure" CD, and the vocal was impeccable; I did not realize that this recording of "In Trutina" was of such reference quality. Hayley's voice was truly sublime. The soundstage was transparent and expansive for such small speakers.

Great choice!

Ohmage.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
As far as speaker stands, buy anything heavy. They don't fit those speakers (perhaps with a modification they would), but I have M&Ks speaker stands for my S150s... they are like over 100lbs, no sand.... and, get this...they are made by York (the barbell company for those who haven't been in the gym lately).

But, buy heavy. Avoid sand if you can, it's a pain.

-Chad

T

TEvo

Enthusiast
Cinder blocks with Blu Tack work pretty well if all you are after is something cheap and with relatively low resonance. :) Worked for me throughout college.

For something a little more in accordance with more sophisticated decors, I find Plateau makes decent stands and their price is relatively modest compared to some others (especially vs. certain speaker manufacturer stands).

I'm sure there are other brands.

L

Lincoln

Audioholic
I've purchased from:
www.racksandstands.com
www.standsandmounts.com
www.audioadvisor.com

Audio Advisor sells Blu-tack and you will want a package of this to couple the speakers to the stand. It's not only an acoustic coupling but this stuff will keep the speaker from being accidently knocked off the stands. I always buy the heaviest and most rigid stand I can find in the price range I'm looking for. I have 2 pairs of Lovan Ballet 2 for my HT (about $200/pr) and they are perfect. I have one pair of 34" Sanus metal stands that I got for $100/pr. They are OK but not nearly as rigid as I would like. In the past when I didn't care about looks, I built a pair of cinder block stands using two of the 8" square blocks glued together with liquid nails, on a cinder base block (one of the 16x8x1" blocks. I primed and painted them black and used some metal cones held in place by blu-tack for the carpet spikes. The cost of building from cinder was about $25 for all supplies minus the blu-tack.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis