E

English210

Audioholic
Hello all. I'm a newbie, sort of. I was in the audio biz 25 years ago, but have been under a rock for a while. I am upgrading old gear, and building as I go. Main speakers are Infinity Kappa 7's, main amp is a Yamaha MX2 (I think - 2 channel, 125RMS). I got a deal recently on a demo Yamaha RXA3010 receiver for processing, and I'm using a PS3 for spinning all discs. I have listened to speakers, and leading the way are PSB Synchrony's. I found a pair of Synchrony S surrounds, so I'm off the mark in surround. Display is a Panny Plazma 65ST50.

I'm looking to add a sub, and upgrade amplification. I need a center, but the placement is going to be an issue with the wife, and honestly, even with the Kappa's, dialogue on movies has been pretty ok - centrally located and clear.

So, questions - Since 2-channel (music only) is a factor for me, should I have a good 2-channel amp and a separate 5 channel, and use both for movies, or just a good 7 channel?

I'm leaning towards a sealed sub that's more compact for the obvious reasons, and have looked into Hsu ULS 15 and the SVS SB13Ultra. Others have strongly advised to check out REL. I'm not sold on any one brand, and I'm not replacing a sub, so almost anything would be a '+'. The room is 12X19X8. One short wall is where the equipment is, around a fireplace. The other short wall is the entrance, just a 5X7 opening to one side, until I open up the other half to the kitchen, per wifey's request. The left long wall is solid, the right has two small-ish windows.

Musical tastes are all over the map - I have the 1812 Overture, Pink Floyd, and Celine Dion in the CD rack. I do plan to evolve into PC music (or whatever term best applies to everything stored in a hard-drive, and not storing discs), but that's way down the road.

Ideas, suggestions, recommendations welcome. My research has me looking at Outlaw, Parasound, B&K, Rotel, so 'good stuff', but not 'esoteric'.

TIA!!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
So, questions - Since 2-channel (music only) is a factor for me, should I have a good 2-channel amp and a separate 5 channel, and use both for movies, or just a good 7 channel?

Most high quality AV receivers today have very solid amplifier sections so they can be used quite successfully for 2 channel music. Based upon your stated music tastes I don't imagine you'd have a problem using an AVR for 2 channel as well.

I'm leaning towards a sealed sub that's more compact for the obvious reasons, and have looked into Hsu ULS 15 and the SVS SB13Ultra. Others have strongly advised to check out REL. I'm not sold on any one brand, and I'm not replacing a sub, so almost anything would be a '+'. The room is 12X19X8.

In a room that size both the HSU and SVS would do an excellent job. Another one in that same class you might want to consider is the Rythmik F15HP.

E

English210

Audioholic
Thanks Jim. I compared the RXA3010 driving the Infinity's to the outboard amp with similar power rating driving them, and it was similar until the volume got up pretty good, and then the amp was better, so I left it that way. I do know that adding a sub and allowing the AVR to handle bass management will help, so maybe I should leave amp upgrades alone for a bit and concentrate on the sub. Anyone know anything about REL Stadium III? One came available 15 minutes from me...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, wait on the amp for now. you can always add a 2 channel amp for the L&R mains, which will also allow your AVR to have more power to the other speakers (it is a "shared" total output capability on most AVR's).
If you crossover your speakers so they are not having to produce sounds under 80 or 100Hz (for instance) you would definitely remove some of the load from the amp. Usually the lower frequencies are where most speakers place greater demands on an amp. But you'll probably want to try it running teh main speakers full range as well. Sometimes having multiple sources for the bass can really smooth out any boomy resonances in a room.
Last, I think REL makes an Okay sub, but they are way overpriced. The HSU, SVS, or Rythmik mentioned earlier are much better deals. That said if you can find an REL in great shape at a good price, that may be a better option. However, I would be looking at paying 40% or less of the MSRP (minimum 60% discount) for a used REL in good shape to consider it competitive with the other brands. Remember, the original buyer probably got 20-25% off on it when they bought it.

Frankly, since you ran into an audible difference when you turned it up (asssuming these were levels you actually might listen at), I would go ahead and plan on upgrading the amp. Having a bit more headroom is nice, you don't want to be wondering if you are getting into clipping. But I would sort out the sub first.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
REL makes nice looking furniture but their price/perofmance is average to poor. You would be much better served looking at Funky Waves, SVS, HSU, hell even PSB for that matter.

E

English210

Audioholic
I found an REL Stadium III locally that I may go look at tomorrow that they're asking 50% of msrp for. If they are willing to deal, I may get that (since I love a deal:) ), otherwise I'll likely go for whichever of the 'heavy hitters' I can get the best price on.

Thanks all!!!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all. I'm a newbie, sort of. I was in the audio biz 25 years ago, but have been under a rock for a while. I am upgrading old gear, and building as I go. Main speakers are Infinity Kappa 7's, main amp is a Yamaha MX2 (I think - 2 channel, 125RMS). I got a deal recently on a demo Yamaha RXA3010 receiver for processing, and I'm using a PS3 for spinning all discs. I have listened to speakers, and leading the way are PSB Synchrony's. I found a pair of Synchrony S surrounds, so I'm off the mark in surround. Display is a Panny Plazma 65ST50.

I'm looking to add a sub, and upgrade amplification. I need a center, but the placement is going to be an issue with the wife, and honestly, even with the Kappa's, dialogue on movies has been pretty ok - centrally located and clear.

I'm leaning towards a sealed sub that's more compact for the obvious reasons, and have looked into Hsu ULS 15 and the SVS SB13Ultra. Others have strongly advised to check out REL. I'm not sold on any one brand, and I'm not replacing a sub, so almost anything would be a '+'. The room is 12X19X8. One short wall is where the equipment is, around a fireplace. The other short wall is the entrance, just a 5X7 opening to one side, until I open up the other half to the kitchen, per wifey's request. The left long wall is solid, the right has two small-ish windows.

Musical tastes are all over the map - I have the 1812 Overture, Pink Floyd, and Celine Dion in the CD rack. I do plan to evolve into PC music (or whatever term best applies to everything stored in a hard-drive, and not storing discs), but that's way down the road.

Ideas, suggestions, recommendations welcome. My research has me looking at Outlaw, Parasound, B&K, Rotel, so 'good stuff', but not 'esoteric'.

TIA!!
I'm not terribly familiar with all of the components, but near as I can tell, you're doing a really good job at selecting components . . . except for the REL! (Personally for how cheap a reliable bluray player is, like $75, I'd add that for DVD/CD/BD, and dedicate the PS3 to gaming, but that's just me.)

I like the HSU in your situation, because it is "wireless". (Of course you still need to be near an outlet, but this makes finding the best compromise between performance-location and aesthetics-location, much easier to find. However there are aftermarket devices that can turn other choices in subs to wireless. I'd just get the HSU I think.)

E

English210

Audioholic
Great minds? I pulled the trigger on a used ULS15. A) SWMBO prefered the Rosenut to black. B) No deals found on the SVS. C) Couldn't justify that much for a used REL. I figure going from nothing to any of the 'usual suspects' in the sub world would be a huge improvement, and the differences between them negligible at my level of supporting equipment and experience.

Next up: Center channel, mains, and amplification.....I really liked the Synchronys. Also, likely to get the Oppo 103 so I can play my SACDs. Just have to figure out the best placement for a center with the fireplace in the way. SWMBO won't let me cover it up.

Thanks all!

E

English210

Audioholic
OK, finally got the sub! I have done some playing with placement and levels, and have it close, I think. Someone that really knew what they were doing would no doubt just shake their head, but...

The wife went upstairs when I started crawling around the floor and told her it was to listen for the best place for the sub...shaking her head too...um....ok, so maybe I didn't find the best spot, now on this track I'm getting lots of room vibrations...but up until this point, I'm happy and hopeful.

I have an old demo disc I used back in the day. Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat. Made me a fortune when I was selling speakers. Anyway, I know it, and that's the key. I am hearing more than I have out of the Kappa's before. The opening of 'Joan of Arc' has some 'effects' sounds in the background, 'twinkling highs' I'll call them, and they are clearer and better delineated. Not the best I've heard, the PM1's & 805D's from B&W in a sound-conditioned room have been the ones to show me the 'most' information in that passage, but I'm hearing more than I did last week on an otherwise-unchanged system. The imaging seems slightly better too. The Kappa's I have are good on vocals, and will locate them nicely, even the 'echo' vocals of Jennifer are located 12 or so inches to stage left, but often these speakers don't get real precise with a lot of things going on, but there's improvement. The resounding 'thwack' of drum is left and low, the cymbals are high and right. Again, not the best I've heard, but better.

More to tweak, but definitely happy. No Dear, not so happy that I'm ready to stop spending money....

E

English210

Audioholic
Oh, and one more thing...someone here had asked about 2-Channel with a sub using the 'sub out' of a receiver....

I had no sub output on 2 channel settinbg on AVR until I switched the mains to 'small', and then the sub was engaged. I can't speak to all models/brands, but something to try. Mine is a Yamaha.

E

English210

Audioholic
Ohhhh....you mean the foam-backed, carpeted board thing that was in the box with the used sub I bought???? :eek: Yeah, that helped, thanks!!

E

English210

Audioholic
A 2 channel setup will play movies just fine UNLESS you like BIG noise.
I live in America: I want it AAALLLLL!!!!! ;)

The sub has opened up a whole new world in the low end, and helped the mains in the mid/highs, as expected, but more than expected. Still don't have a center, and I'm wondering if I need one - will I get the same benefit I got from the sub and wonder how I ever lived without it?

Then there's the planned upgrade to the main speakers...

Then there's amps, lots of choices there!!

Then the Oppo BDP103 I want, at least I know what I want for that...

then....

P

pigneguy

Audiophyte
i came here searching for any info on Infinity Kappa 7 speakers. Anyone have any manuals or specs ?

P

pigneguy

Audiophyte
thank you !!

just purchased a pair of Infinity Kappa 7s and unsure as to whether my Jolida sj502a amp will have enough power to feed them for extended periods.

Kappa 7 / 7A

Introduced: 1987
Dimensions: 94 x 43 x 31 cm
Bass: 1 x 30 cm
Mids: 1 x Kappa-Polydome
Highs: 1 x EMIT
Suggested for amplifiers with: 40-200 Watts per channel
Frequency range: 37 Hz - 45 kHz
Crossover frequencies: 800 Hz, 4500 Hz
Suggested price (pair): 1500 $

Nominal Impedance: 4 to 6 ohms
Power Rating: 40-200 watts RMS
Efficiency: 88 dB @1 watt, 1 meter
Crossover Frequencies: 800Hz, 4500Hz
Frequency Response: 37Hz-45kHz +/-3dB
Introduced in 1987
Discontinued 1989

Specifications: Jolida SJ502A

• Maximum Power Output:85 wpc at 8 ohms, 1KHz Rated Output:60 wpc at 8 ohms, 25Hz to 60KHz Frequency Response:(at 1 watt into 8 ohms) 8Hz to
  • 130KHz + 1dB
  • Bandwidth:15Hz to 80KHz + 3dB; 0dB 60 W 1KHz
  • Distortion THD:Less than 1% at 20 V output, 28Hz to 15KHz
  • Circuit Type:Ultra Linear, Class AB
  • Input Impedance:100Kohms
  • Input Sensitivity:600mV at 1KHz for 60 watt output-
  • Output Impedance:4 ohms and 8 ohms Negative Feedback: Less than 5 dB Noise and Hum:85dB below rated output
  • Tube Complement:2 matched pairs (4) of 6550/KT88 power output; 2 pcs. 12AX7A/ECC83 pre-amplifier; 2 pcs. 12AT7/ECC81 power drivers.
  • Power Requirements:110V-120 VAC 60Hz 180 watts-standby, 450 watts maximum (220 VAC 50Hz option). Dimensions:17 inches (43cm) wide by 1 5 inches (38cm) deep by 7.5 inches (19 cm)
  • high.Weight:39 pounds (18 Kg)
  • Price $1100 new, average used $650-$700

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis