Network Audio Streamer recommends...

P

Push

Audioholic
The Echo Dot isn't cutting it anymore, so I've been snooping network players. Just has to stream Spotify and Tidal. Otherwise, I'm wide open to anything, except HTPC. Been there, done that, don't have the room for it, didn't like it. Budgets around 3K, could spring a little more if I'm getting something extra SQ wise for my money.

Thus far I'm seeing three that I'm interested in/have been recommended to me:
1) BluSound Node - recommend from a friend
2) Cambridge Audio CXN (V2) - piqued my curiosity given how well it reviews
3) Lumin D2 - recommend from audio store

What else should I have on the short list of players to audition?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is this a two channel or multi channel setup? Tidal has their proprietary MQA to consider and they have music in Dolby Atmos as well. MQA requires an “unfolding” of the signal for hi-res tracks. Most streamers can handle the first unfold and deliver 24/48. I remember getting 24/96 out of the Nvidia shield and it also supports Dolby Atmos tracks from Tidal but I could be wrong and it was 24/48. The list of devices supporting Dolby Atmos tracks is still small.
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004255778-Dolby-Atmos-Music

The list of devices fully supporting MQA isn’t much bigger.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've setup Volumio on a Rasberry Pi 4 feeding a DAC for my neighbor. All in was under $500 for both the DAC and the Pi + Volumio.

They don't care or even know what MQA was. SQ and Ease of Use was simply top shelf.

P

Push

Audioholic
I've setup Volumio on a Rasberry Pi 4 feeding a DAC for my neighbor. All in was under $500 for both the DAC and the Pi + Volumio.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have to be in the same room as the Pi to change/skip songs? While I'm normally sitting on the couch when listening to Tidal, sometimes I fire up the stereo when cooking or doing housework. App control I guess would be a must, so I should add that to the requirements list.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have to be in the same room as the Pi to change/skip songs? While I'm normally sitting on the couch when listening to Tidal, sometimes I fire up the stereo when cooking or doing housework. App control I guess would be a must, so I should add that to the requirements list.
No, it's all controlled from your phone or tablet.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

They don't care or even know what MQA was. SQ and Ease of Use was simply top shelf.
RPi is a great option, but using a Pi4 doesn't really gain anything vs. the earlier models. Heck, I think you could get the same performance from a pi zero and a good DAC hat.

jinjuku

jinjuku

RPi is a great option, but using a Pi4 doesn't really gain anything vs. the earlier models. Heck, I think you could get the same performance from a pi zero and a good DAC hat.
Honestly the cost bar is so low that it's what I default to. Just get a Pi 4 with 2GB RAM

jinjuku

jinjuku

Topping D90SE for $899 is very much SOTA fed by a 2gb Pi4 would put you under $1200 and I really don't see how you can get much more flexible or better sound.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@Push my rec would be the Bluesound Node. I have one and love it. It is beautifully designed, super easy to use and sounds great. BluOS is a very good app, but I went one step further and am using Roon on top of that. If I had the money, I might try Lumen (got the same advice from a sales person) but for now the Node performs above expectations.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The POWERNODE keeps popping up in my head as an all in one option that includes eARC for a connected TV and a Sub pre out. But, that takes the Brio out of service.

P

Push

Audioholic
The POWERNODE keeps popping up in my head as an all in one option that includes eARC for a connected TV and a Sub pre out. But, that takes the Brio out of service.
Lmao. Just bought the damn thing three weeks ago, so I don't think I'll be pulling it out of service just yet :)

I actually had looked at a Powernode early on, but decided against integrated/all in one solutions. It seems like there is always some trade off when you do that and I'm shooting for highest SQ within my budget.

jinjuku

jinjuku

One alternate that you may want to consider is the MOTU M4 Pro Audio interface.

It's DAC section is top notch and it has outputs that you could feed some subs with.

Kicker: ~$220.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So recommends for a good DAC? My Brio is analog only...
the suggestion above for RasPi with good "audio hat" - in this case Audio hat is the DAC - so if you inclined to go with RasPi + Volumio option - you don't need an external DAC, but just a RasPi hat:
here are a few links from the same great blogger:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis