Netflix "throttling" ?

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Just thought I would share something I found on CNN:

http://us.cnn.com/2006/US/02/10/netflix.renters.ap/index.html

I live in Canada and to my knowledge we don't have access this type of service but I found it shameful that a company would mislead their customers with deceptive marketing so I was compelled to post in the hopes of bringing this issue to surface (if it exists.)

Any Netflix subscribers experience similar situations?

Share your comments.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Going by my history in the account, I recieved a substantially higher number of movies given the plan I was using, compared to today. However, I am have known about this policy for a long time, and I fully expected it to be in effect eventually. The only time I found the throttling to be really bad was when I tried to go on an 8 at a time plan, and my number of movies would not increase over the number I recieved at 6 at a time, even though I was paying more.

Is it bad policy? IMO, yes. I would be okay with it if they would not advertise *unlimited* such as they do. They could charge me a per unit cost so that I could always get maximum processing speed, and I would find that satisfactory. The real problem is that I can't get more than 20-22 discs per month no matter what I do. It stays the same regardless if I am on the 6 or 8 at a time plan. This might seem excessive to some readers here, but realize that I do not really watch television. I try to throw in a DVD once per day for my 'television' time. Obviously, 20-22 discs per month is not fulfilling my requirements for 1 disc per day. I could use a 2nd service in addition, but I would highly prefer to use a single service, since it's eaiser to organize/set-up the movie queue and keep track of what I have seen. Note: I was getting 20 discs per month when I first joined and was using the 4 at a time plan on the 2nd month. I am now using 6 at a time to keep the discs per month equal to the service I recieved when I first joined.

-Chris

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Do you know if any of these online rental stores post to Australia?

cheers:)

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
HookedOnSound said:
Any Netflix subscribers experience similar situations?

Share your comments.

I had the same problem. New releases going to "low volume renters" (I compared my account with a neighbor) and delays on shipping towards the end of my enrollment. Still a good value though! I may sign back up in the future...

Here is someone who took it a step further to prove the issue.

http://www.dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

they had people in the same house with different enrolment plans and different rental histories. then they compaired how each account was treated. pretty interesting...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know if Blockbuster "throttles" as well? I seem to experience delays occasinally, but I don't know if it's because I'm a high volume renter, or if it's just coincidence?

Z

zilla

Junior Audioholic
GlocksRock said:
Does anyone know if Blockbuster "throttles" as well? I seem to experience delays occasinally, but I don't know if it's because I'm a high volume renter, or if it's just coincidence?

I don't personally know for sure if they do or don't, but I would wager that they do. It's a key part of the way they can turn a profit with that system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis