Netflix streaming movies

B

bmac

Audioholic
You can now stream movies on Netflix. I hope I'm not telling people what they already know. They have a 'Watch Now' tab that allows you to watch movies, after downloading their viewer. The selection is limited, but the quality is good. I had no slowdowns or stops, and almost forgot it was streaming.

P.S. You need to reset or turn off your firewall to view these.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
What... really? That's pretty cool! I never noticed that before. What's the quality? Can you do it over a wireless connection or do you need highspeed? I looked around and I didn't see any option to view online. Can you post an example?

B

bmac

Audioholic
Yes, you can stream wireless. The quality is equal to that of a DVD(480p maybe). It's the last tab on the right, next to the dvd sale.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
It is not out fully yet. A few users are getting a preview roll out of sorts and everyone else will get the option by June 2007. The way I understand it is For roughly every dollar of service you pay every month, you get an hour of play. Note that is an hour of play so it does not count the downloading against you.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
So if you are on the 3 movie plan which is what, $20? You get around 10 movies a month? That's pretty good and a great way to fight the "come in a get a movie" ads of Blockbuster. We'll see how it works out.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
The Q&A Section from Netflix

Q: What is instant viewing?
A: This feature allows Netflix members to instantly watch movies on their PCs. It is included in your monthly membership plan at no additional charge.
To watch movies instantly, you need to download and install the free Netflix Movie Viewer, special software that runs on compatible computers.

Q: How much does it cost to watch movies instantly on my PC?
A: There is no additional cost to watch movies instantly on your PC, and there is no change to your DVD plan. To watch movies instantly, you need to install the free Netflix Movie Viewer, special software that runs on compatible computers

Q: What are the system requirements to watch movies instantly on my PC?
A: To watch instantly, you need a computer running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, Internet Explorer version 6 or higher, Windows Media Player version 9 or newer, an active connection to the Internet and the free Netflix Movie Viewer. Click here to see a full list of requirements.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of movies I can watch instantly on my PC?
A: Watching movies instantly on your PC is limited by viewing time each month. The limit is based on your plan size.
For each $1 of monthly plan cost (excluding taxes), 1 hour of instant watching is included. For example, if you are on our 3 at-a-time (unlimited) plan, you pay $17.99 a month, and you have 18 hours of instant viewing time per month. Click here for more details.

Q: How do movies that I watch instantly on my PC relate to my DVDs? My Queue?
A: Watching movies instantly on your PC does not affect your DVD rental service or the movies in your Queue. Watching a movie instantly on your PC will have no effect on your DVD Queue, even if that same movie is already in your Queue.

Q: How long does it take to start playing a movie in the Netflix Movie Viewer?
A: The time it takes to begin watching a movie using this feature will vary based on available bandwidth and your computer system; for more information, click here. The Netflix Movie Viewer tries to start playing the movie as quickly as your system will allow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis