Netflix - comments?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I'm about ready to dump Blockbuster's rental program. Although they are right down the street from me, they've raised the price of their rental program from $9.99, to $14.99, and I now just received a notice that it's going up to $19.99 on Aug. 15th. Sorry, but that's B.S., especially seeing how I have to physically go into the store, and only able to rent one movie at a time. I average about 7 movies a month.

I was looking into Netflix on the web. Those of you who have it - how many movies do you watch monthly. They have a $14.99 plan for 2 dvd's at a time. Is the turn around really 1 business day? I don't believe that. I would assume that equates to about 4-5 days by the time you put it in the mailbox and receive the next two. Especially coming from Ca. to Ohio.

Looking for some rants and raves here. Clint, I know you use the service. How about competition - anything else out there better?

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Netflix is the shiznit

That one business day is the time it takes for them to receive a movie and get the next one in the mail to you. I put a movie in the mail on the 3rd, it arrived yesterday, I've got my next one going out today, and I’ll probably get it tomorrow. That's like three business days. At that rate, if you watch each movie the day you get it and send is out the next, you can watch like 7 movies a month for each movie allowance on your plan. I've got the three movies a month plan and I'm really happy with it. I keep one chick flick at home at all times waiting for my wife to get around to watch it while I rotate in the other two with whatever I want. I swear, I kept Mystic River (which was a great flick BTW) for like 3 months before I finally gave up on her watching it and sent it back. No late fees rule!

Caveat - if you live in the sticks and don't have a distribution center near you, you may have to add an extra day or two to the turnaround time.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mrnomas said:
That one business day is the time it takes for them to receive a movie and get the next one in the mail to you. I put a movie in the mail on the 3rd, it arrived yesterday, I've got my next one going out today, and I’ll probably get it tomorrow. That's like three business days. At that rate, if you watch each movie the day you get it and send is out the next, you can watch like 7 movies a month for each movie allowance on your plan. I've got the three movies a month plan and I'm really happy with it. I keep one chick flick at home at all times waiting for my wife to get around to watch it while I rotate in the other two with whatever I want. I swear, I kept Mystic River (which was a great flick BTW) for like 3 months before I finally gave up on her watching it and sent it back. No late fees rule!

Caveat - if you live in the sticks and don't have a distribution center near you, you may have to add an extra day or two to the turnaround time.
So it sounds like 7 is the max on the two per plan, right? What are the taxes/fees on top of the $17.99 totalling?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Buck, it's the best. I live within 10 miles of a DC, I mail my movies watched over the weekend on Monday and have my new movies on Wednesday like clockwork. That is also good timing to receive the latest releases as well. :D I've been a member since 1998 and have never had an issue. But if you have localized problems with mail delivery all bets are off. My only regret is not buying their stock at the IPO price! I'm doing 3 movies at a time for $17.99. I have not received notice that the price is going up but chances are if BB is raising their prices so will Netflix. But if that's true look for a nice bump up in their stock price.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
With my two per (I have three, but one collects dust as described above) I watch two movies a week but I could easily watch 4 every week and a half if I didn't have to wake up at 6am for work and have a 2 year old that doesn't go down until 9-10pm. That gives you between 8 and 12 a month depending on your dedication and location.

With taxes and fees or whatever it is $19.25 (according to my boss...er...wife).

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I've been happy with Netflix

You won't be getting movies from California. I live in Michigan, and I get mine from a distribution center in Lansing, Michigan. You probably have one in your state somewhere. When I send a movie back it is usually received the next day. I would say that 50% of the time they have a movie out to me the same day, and 50% of the time it's the next day. I was using the 3 movies at a time deal, but recently switched to the 2 movies at a time option. If you watch a lot of movies quickly, I would recommend 3 movies at a time (the price difference is pretty small).

I've also never received a movie from them that didn't play or skipped or malfunctioned in any way. They've also never sent me the wrong movie. I would say that my satisfaction is near 100%.

They are also constantly trying to make their website better which I really appreciate!!

R

Ragtop

Audioholic Intern
Netflix is pretty sweet. I live in Oregon about 60 miles from a distribution center and if i drop my movie off at a post office I can usually get the next one in two day. Meaning I drop it on Monday and the new one is there Wednesday. I am pretty sure they have a deal with the post office that once your incoming DVD is scanned they can send the outgoing one. It's too quick otherwise.

I pay 17.99 a month no taxes or anything else and that allows me to have three movies out at a time. I probably watch 5-6 movies a month, usually a couple every Saturday/Sunday. Even if I only watched one a month I still would never go back to renting in the store, I have a mental block that does not allow me to return movies on time.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I have the 3 at a time plan, and I average about 16-18 movies a month.
I get truly a 1 day turn-around. Depends on how close the facility is.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I have the six at a time plan. total cost is about $39. Overall turnaround is about three days. They dont ship or receive on Sat or Sun. If you return the next day religiously you can get two movies a week (for each movie on your plan)
One problem I have is, sometimes movies that are not stocked in volume are sent from distribution centers in other parts of the country. this is the only time the delivery takes more than a day to get to my house. it never takes more than three.

Service is good and their website is really user friendly...

Anyone receiving bad discs??? just recently, in the past month, Ive gotten 5 or 6 movies that will just stop mid way through...I dont know if this is a quality control problem with netflix, a coincidence, or my DVD player might be going bad. Just thought I would ask if anyone else is having this problem. its not that big of a problem. I just report it on the website and they send out a replacement...

Duffinator

Duffinator

coops said:
Anyone receiving bad discs??? just recently, in the past month, Ive gotten 5 or 6 movies that will just stop mid way through...I dont know if this is a quality control problem with netflix, a coincidence, or my DVD player might be going bad. Just thought I would ask if anyone else is having this problem. its not that big of a problem. I just report it on the website and they send out a replacement...
I was a member back in the early days when you paid for each disc including shipping. I've had two or three bad discs during that time with hundreds rented and none recently.

O

outsider

Audioholic
the only negative thing I've noticed with Netflix is for new releases. I've found you either have to get it on your list weeks before it's actually released, or wait weeks before you actually get it.
Other than that, excellent service. Plus, they have hundreds, if not thousands, of DVDs that the 3 or 4 local rentals places don't have.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
New releases can sometimes take a while but for the most part, I've not had a problem. I've had a few bad discs (and yes, they seem to all come at the same time) but overall, no real problems. The selection is the big selling point. You can find some of the most obscure movies that you would never find at a local shop. And now they even have Avia and DVE!

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I thought about using netfix but I went with the blockbuster pass, I don't like waiting for movies. I live 2 mins away from my blockbuster and I'm a movie junkie...when I first got the pass I watched 13 movies in one week. The nice thing is if I don't like a move I take it back and get a new one that night. Just my $.02

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
coops said:
They dont ship or receive on Sat or Sun.
This was the case when I first joined. However they are (well at least in
region) are doing receiving on Saturdays. With movies going out on Mondays.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
the verdict is in !!!

I'm glad to know that netflix has a seemingly well received operation in just about every part of the country. I have been a netflix member for about a year and a half and i can certainly vouch for the value, convenience, selection and quality of their dvd's. I noticed throughout a few of the posts that there was mention of a netflix price increase....Unless im completely crazy, which is definately possible, i could have sworn that they just dropped their prices a few months ago !! I am pretty confident that when i initially joined netflix, i joined up at 3 movies out for 21.99...i do believe that as of a few months ago,it dropped down to 17.99...Would it be a bit odd that they would raise their prices only a few short months after dropping them ?
Whatever the case, i will still use netflix because of their reliable and consistant service, obscene amount of titles, user friendly site and believe it or not the ' viewer reviews '.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
Not that it matters all that much,but i neglected to mention another reason why i absolutely love netflix.........because it's not blockbuster !

( ok,i will admit bias towards self professed 'family friendly' retailers )

whats so family friendly about ' terminator' anyways ?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I recently joined Netflix 3-4 months ago. So far, I think it's wonderful. The selection of titles, fast/reliable service and convience that I have received so far make we wonder why I waited this long to join. At this point, I have no intention of using a local rental store in a regular capacity.

-Chris

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I have used Netflix for about 4 months now and I must say I have no complaints. The turn around is fast and I have only had a skipping issue with one disc. I never have a problem getting new releases. I just make sure I send a movie so it gets there on Monday and I always have a new release by wednesday.

I tried blockbuster online and it is a joke compared to netflix.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Correction to my earlier post about pricing, BB raised their prices to match NetFlix so I don't think NetFlix will be raising prices. But with the dismal second quarter returns posted by BB it could get worse for them. And cutting their marketing budget can't be a good sign either. Here's an article from Forbes. There is a much better article in the WSJ today for those of you who have access to it.

http://www.forbes.com/facesinthenews/2005/08/09/blockbuster-earnings-icahn-cx_gl_0809autofacescan05.html?partner=yahootix

http://online.wsj.com/article/1,,SB112359181521408591,00.html?mod=COMPANY

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Its a great deal, ive been using them for years. The shipping depends on your local post office. If I mail from my home it takes 3 days or so for them to get it back in. Though if I ship it from a post box out front of work its there the next day. Pre child we used to watch every new release out there at least 8 a month some times more. Now 4 if we are luck but it goes with the territory.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis