B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Could someone point me to a recent thread or article as to why Netflix says it is streaming a show in Atmos, but the receiver only gets Dolby Digital + ??

Y

Yannick

Audiophyte
Just had a quick look at my settings too and I can only get 5.1 on Netflix.

it mainly comes down to the device you're playing Netflix through. what are you playing your Netflix from?

I have the 2017 Nvidia Shield and this does not play Netflix atmos. but I have PLEX and ATMOS works beautifully.

something about Nvidia enabling Dolby Multistream Decoder MS12 on the old shields and they won't to try force you to buy their new shield (which support MS12 therefor Netflix atmos should work).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, there is something odd about Atmos and Netflix. My 4K HTPC will not stream it. I have to use the app on the TV and use ARC and then you get an Atmos signal from the TV audio in the Marantz 7705.

Y

Yannick

Audiophyte
Yeah, definitely comes down to player. I asked my uncle which he has the new shield and he is getting atmos in Netflix. looks like ill need to upgrade eventually. damn you Nvidia!

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
I can play Netflix either on Samsung 2013 TV with 2016 Evolution kit or my Panasonic UB9000.
For the shows in question, Netflix shows Atmos, but only provides Dolby Digital+ (when look at incoming signal on X8500H). Note that not all Netflix shows say they provide Atmos; rather most say it is 5.1.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I can play Netflix either on Samsung 2013 TV with 2016 Evolution kit or my Panasonic UB9000.
For the shows in question, Netflix shows Atmos, but only provides Dolby Digital+ (when look at incoming signal on X8500H). Note that not all Netflix shows say they provide Atmos; rather most say it is 5.1.
Your TV is too old. My UB 9000 does not do the trick. I think Netflix have restricted this to certain apps. As I said the only way I can get this to work is via the app on my C class LG OLED 4k TV and feeding the audio back to my 4K Marantz pre/pro. That works reliably. However I'm not a bi movie watcher.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
My LG C9 rendered my Nvidia Shield obsolete. I removed it and now I just use the TV apps to stream. As TLS says, it feeds the audio with no problems. One less device in the system to worry about. Plus, no need to spend money for a new Shield.

Question. Why is the '17 Nvidia Shield prices higher than the '19 version?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis