Needed: small surrounds to be mounted on the ceiling ...

S

stuhoo

Audiophyte
I am new to the forum.

I am planning on upgrading my current HT sound system and am looking for suggestions for a timbre-matched 5.1 or 6.1 setup.

I want musical front speakers, either towers or good bookshelves. I have space for a quality center speaker and sub. My problem is that I only have space for small surrounds which need to be mounted on the ceiling. I am having trouble finding a matched system that meets these requirements. Room dimensions are 16' X 18', with one open side. My budget is ~$1500-2000 for all speakers in the set.

I would appreciate any suggestions that the experts here may have.
-Stuart

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
How small is small? Would a small bookshelf using a bracket be acceptable? Or are in-ceilings an option?

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
Hi Stuart,

I have some small, but reasonably weighty surrounds (roughly 11lbs each). They're mounted on the side walls with a couple of inexpensive (<40USD) brackets.

These speakers were self-builds (from a purchased design) and seem to be heavier than many surrounds I've seen, so you should be able to get away with bracket mounting most small bookshelf type units.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Room dimensions are 16' X 18', with one open side. My budget is ~$1500-2000 for all speakers in the set
Hello
That is a fairly large room and many small systems may not be capable of reproducing satisfactory listening levels.

If a small system is what you are after you may want to look at these
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=731
They are pretty dynamic little speakers and they have a built in stand that rotates 180 degrees for wall mounting

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis