Need Turntable Advice

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Hello all! I'm looking to the wisemen here for some much needed information. Although I've dealt a fair deal with different audio/video components, I have to admit that my most glaring weakness is with turntables. I've had records stored away, but the turntable was left with my parents many years ago and apparently it hasn't worked for years.
So, I'm looking for a new turntable and I need it to work with my new Yamaha RX V1500 Receiver. I don't necessarily want anything too fancy, but would like the player to have a good, solid base, and preferably be able to play both 33s and 45s (78 is an option). I would like to keep the price under $400 and I do want to get something new or, at most, just slightly used.
So, having said that, can anybody recommend to me a particular brand of turntable? Even specific models would be very welcome. Also, what should I be looking for in order for it to properly connect with my receiver? Please, the more information, the better. I would really like to get my old records playing again... thanks in advance!! :)
I should add quickly that I've seen many recommendations for Technics turntables, but the vast majority of the recommendations have come from DJs and I'm definitely not going to be one. I understand why people like direct drive turntables for spinning, etc. I'm primarily interested in one that will sound good, last a long time, and connect easily to my receiver...

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
awesomebase said:
Hello all! I'm looking to the wisemen here for some much needed information. Although I've dealt a fair deal with different audio/video components, I have to admit that my most glaring weakness is with turntables. I've had records stored away, but the turntable was left with my parents many years ago and apparently it hasn't worked for years.
So, I'm looking for a new turntable and I need it to work with my new Yamaha RX V1500 Receiver. I don't necessarily want anything too fancy, but would like the player to have a good, solid base, and preferably be able to play both 33s and 45s (78 is an option). I would like to keep the price under $400 and I do want to get something new or, at most, just slightly used.
So, having said that, can anybody recommend to me a particular brand of turntable? Even specific models would be very welcome. Also, what should I be looking for in order for it to properly connect with my receiver? Please, the more information, the better. I would really like to get my old records playing again... thanks in advance!! :)
I should add quickly that I've seen many recommendations for Technics turntables, but the vast majority of the recommendations have come from DJs and I'm definitely not going to be one. I understand why people like direct drive turntables for spinning, etc. I'm primarily interested in one that will sound good, last a long time, and connect easily to my receiver...

Before you plan on a turntable, you also need to consider a phono pre amp as well as most likely that new receiver doesn't have one. The makers have left it out for many years now ;)
I am sure after that, you will get a number of inputs on a TT.
Or, just forget it and sell your records and buy CD/DVD-A

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
That particular Yamaha has a phono preamp in it. At least the 1400 did and this is it's replacement. Audioholics did a review of it and if you blow up the back view it has phono inputs.

I'm really not sure who makes good brands of turntables nowadays, Audio-Technica used to make good ones. So did Stanton. And I think Technics were decent. But nowadays it's hard to find reviews on product most consider "obsolete."

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Phone pre-amp?

Where can I see if it my receiver has a phone pre-amp in it? I'm not sure I understand why that is needed. I'm seeing turntables now that even have optical output, but most come with at least the RCA connections.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Turntables have always come with RCA adapters, but they didn't have phono pre-amps. The receivers of the day always had a "Phono" selector switch and a built-in phono pre-amp.

The signal from the turntable (not sure why) was always unamplified and needed to have a pre-amp for it to be heard.

Nowadays, because of the decline in turntable use, many of the lower end receivers don't have phono pre-amps in them. If you bought a turntable, you would have had to buy a seperate phono pre-amp to get it to work with a newer receiver.

However, to combat this problem, many turntables are coming out with their own on-board pre-amps.

If you look on the back (I think it was the second row of inputs from the left marked "Audio") there is one set near the bottom that says "Phono." If the receiver didn't have a phono pre-amp I doubt it would have a specified "phono" input.

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/images/RX-V1500_rear_lg.jpg

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Here's why...

..."...The signal from the turntable (not sure why) was always unamplified..."

Phono carts weren't always MM or MC designs...the technology to build them just did not exist...they were crystal/ceramic type, in which stress on a piezo-electric element created an output voltage may times that of modern-day cartriges...signal strength was roughly "line-level", so pre-amplification wasn't required...or rather pre-pre-amplication wasn't required; one still needed a pre-amp/control center as a gain-stage to drive the power amp to suitable levels...

Additionally, in the hobby's early days, the phono input was not standardized insofar as signal pre-emphasis/de-emphasis was concerned...each record manufacturer had there own equalization curve, so...you needed one for CBS or RCA or old 78s...that sorta' thing...the RIAA eventually standardized things...Phono inputs were dedicated, rather than just left as a generic "input"..other sources i.e. radio, tape and tee-vee(YES, TV...there is nothing new under the sun) didn't require such adjustments. Then there is the issue of obsolesence and compatability...not everyone opted for the newer playback technology or LPs or 45s or even stereo when it came along...each one requiring different, optimum stylus geometry. As time went by however, phono inputs w/gain and eq became standard issue.

Bringing us to the present, with the advent of digital media and HT, fewer mfrs. include a built-in phono pre-amp, thinking the majority of users won't require such "arcane" technology...so...if you go for a 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 system, but opt to include vinyl, you'll need an outboard pre-amp/EQ. If you go for a MC cart it will also need to incorporate a step-up device to raise the cart output to a level that the pre-amp stage can the bring up to "line level" for the pre-amp(or pre-amp section of your receiver) and utimately drive your amp and loudspeakers...So, with all that signal manipulation, it hands me a laugh when the "golden ears" pooh-pooh tone controls and insist on a "purist" approach...Let's not even talk about the signal processing that goes on before the performance is committed to media.

Some turntables have built-in pre-amps for a plug'n'play simplicity...

jimHJJ(...and it comes out here...)

P.S. Actually you probably will find phono inputs on stereo-only receivers...it's once you go HT they tend to become as rare as hen's teeth...although there are exceptions...)

Last edited:
M

MrKlister

Junior Audioholic
Check out the Music Hall MMF2.1. Turntable, tonearm and catridge(installed) for right around $300. I have the next table up the MMF5 and love it. Crutchfield is showing Denon, Technics and Audio Technica tables for under $300, the Denon and Technics under $200.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern

This may be a little to Dj for you but this is the record player i have.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NUMTTX1

http://www.numark.com/index.html?http://www.numark.com/products/product_view.php?v=view&n=5

The ttx is really out of control for what you get at the price mark of around $300.
- Patent-pending interchangeable tonearm system (includes both straight and S-shaped tonearms)
_ Blue illuminated display provides pitch, RPM, BPM and motor settings
_ +/- 10, 20 and 50% selectable pitch ranges (optional 8% range)
_ 33, 45 and 78 RPM
_ S/PDIF digital outputs
_ Selectable phono/line level output (w/o ground wire)
_ Detachable power and audio connections, illuminated output bay

It really is a great turntable for the money. I know alot of people who dont use it for dj stuff. And i know many djs who wont use anything else. I am useing the digital outs and it sounds incredible. Its also been around for a few years and now is down to about 300 instead of 400. granted the technics 1200 has been around since about 300 BC but its still just cut and dry. I will always buy dj turntables for my system....I really think its the weight associated with this one that I like.

j

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis