Need Speakers For Yamaha RXV2400

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I currently have JBL studio speakers
Scenter, S312 mains ,and S38 rears, and the PB12 sub.

I auditioned the Onkyo receiver before I bought the Yamaha and liked the warm sound that I received. (but I returned it due to lipsync issues and fears regarding quality control)

I am looking for warm sounding speakers that will compliment the Yamaha &nbsp;(also I live in canada if this helps )
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>If you like the bright detailed sound of Yamaha and would like maximum benefit from it then I suggest you audition Canadian made Paradigm Studio refference series, Yamaha NS-8HX or NS-777, Magnepan, Axiom and Canton and then base your decison on your ears.</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Yamahaluver

The problem is I like the warm sound and the yamaha tend to lean a little to the bright side. (experiance with the JBL or
was I better off risking it and trying another Onkyo Receiver)

But The 2400 has so much things working in its favor (features connectivity and Build Quality Video up conversion for the wife, and as always the sound I wouldn't mind getting different speakers.)

If you have any other recomendations please let me know
I will go to a local dealer and have a listen to the paradigm hopefully tomorrow. ( Are their any models that I should take a paticular intrest too.)

Thanks again

</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>Dr. Hug, maybe listen to some BW'S, 600 series or 700 series if your staying within budget. From listening myself to their speakers the sound is clean and warmer than some other manufacturers, bass is a plenty, I thought a little too much. Overall the BW'S have a great look and clean warmer sound. From reading many other posts on this forum and others, it seems most other more experienced audiophiles would agree. Check them out, I went with canton le series for my 2400, the sound is a little brighter but I like it, bass is just right, midrange is there and clean. Good luck &nbsp;
</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
dr.hug : <font color='#000000'>Thanks Yamahaluver

The problem is I like the warm sound and the yamaha tend to lean a little to the bright side. (experiance with the JBL or
was I better off risking it and trying another Onkyo Receiver)

But The 2400 has so much things working in its favor (features connectivity and Build Quality Video up conversion for the wife, and as always the sound I wouldn't mind getting different speakers.)

If you have any other recomendations please let me know
I will go to a local dealer and have a listen to the paradigm hopefully tomorrow. ( Are their any models that I should take a paticular intrest too.)

Thanks again

</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>If you like warm sound, JBL Studio series and Infinity would do just fine. The bright sound of Yamaha reveals layers of details not possible with other receivers so it takes time getting used to it initialy but once you do, you love it forever.</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>It's weird I like the JBL's but for some reason It feels like the mids are suppressed. I figured the warm speakers would fix this. ( I was told buy a local store it's like some one put a sock in front of the persons mouth Or cuped their hands over their mouth ) and thats what I want to remove. &nbsp;

I hope This better explains the problem I have.

Thanks again guys!!</font>

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
<font color='#000000'>What is your budget alooted for your speakers? Are you replacing the whole suite of speakers?

Also, I would like to clarify this ridiculous notion of Yamaha receivers of sounding bright. That may have been the case 10 years ago but it is certainly not the case now. In a recent shoot out (Home Theater Magazine) between Onkyo, and Pioneer, the Yamaha RXV630 had the warmest sound of all three. &nbsp; Lets leave the cliche of &quot;bright sounding&quot; &nbsp;out of Yamaha's receivers sound description.</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I Have a budget of $2000 I would like to replace the Center and the mains.

Also BTW... You have to take the discription within contex.
I did a side by side comparison with the JBLs in my home with the onkyo 501 (Note I said ONKYO 501 it's $500CDN) and the Yamaha 2400 (I had them both)
and to my ears the Yamaha was detailed and some what had a smaller midrange.( sock suppressing the singer) And the onkyo had a wider sound stage with equal detail( No sock)

NOTE: &nbsp;I bought the Yamaha for connection video upsampleing/down sampleing YPAO (Easy way to balance system) second room 2 channel + video and 5.1 to first room + video. if I choose. or potental 9.1 but 7.1 when I am ready.

This was my compromise. for all of these features I would have to go to.ahhhh...Onkyo doesn't make a receiver with all these features the closest would be almost &nbsp;$2000CDN but I could get the Yamaha for $1200CDN. PLUS THE YPAO made me realize I like others don't have the HT set up correctly.( Big sound improvement for HT ) ( I am giving my Sound meter to my friend whom lent me his Onkyo)

This was my sound test with music and movies and I did this over a day.( my system is in my basement 16X20 foot room 8 foot ceiling unfinished) and It REALLY matters what speakers you connect to. That is why I am looking for differnt speakers to get the sound I want.

Sorry for the ramble ( Hopefully this helps some one else looking for speakers or a receiver)

I would never Bash any speaker company or reciver company because I have learned like a few people on this Post
That you can out perform the $5,000 system if you choose the right receiver and speakers.
</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I auditioned the B&amp;W 602 and the Studio 60 V3 on the Yamaha 1400. The Studio 60 sounded great large sound stage details it crossed the B&amp;W off my list Know I need to audition the  Yamaha NS-8HX or NS-777, Axiom and Canton
I saw the Magnepan, but it doesn't seem to fit in my budget and I was told it was better for 2 channel due to design.

I'll keep you informed..

</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi,

Did you read the article &quot;Recommended Home Theater System #2&quot; from this site ?

They recomend Axiom speakers for a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver and they manufacture the speakers in Canada, you may find good pricing.

I'm actually going to buy this same receiver for my home and I'm looking right now for Speakers, today I have only two choices left, Axiom &amp; Energy both companies from Canada.

Good luck on your search !!!!

&nbsp; &nbsp; Carlos</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>ok Now I am going to add another question. I have reduced my speaker choices down but then I was thrown a wrench ....

I went to a store to listen to the Magnepan (witch they didn't have) They carry the B&amp;W and Martin Logans..

And they recommened that I get an amplifier and run the Receiver as a prepro. They say it will cause more of a sound change than the speaker upgrade. Then They say to upgrade the speakers later.

Know I would like to know if this is a good idea??? and if so would you ecommend any amps same budget $2000

has anyone done a comparison with the Paridim studio 60 and the JBL Studio series Please give me some Ideas what they found in the sound.

My problem Is I can't get a &nbsp;side by side comparison with the JBL's I have, and the Paridigms I have auditioned..but I can't link the chain.

Thanks again Guys your help is like GOLD !</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi,

Please go to www.magnepan.com and check out their list of retailers near you, they also have a 30 days in house trial policy where you can directly get them from Magnepan and listen to them for 30 days and then return them.

The Paradigm speakers sound like Yamaha speakers and compared to the JBL, you might find them brighter, at this stage dont go for the new amp as the store is just trying to male some money, speakers are the most critical aspect and if you need an amp in the future, the e-bay has some great offers on Yamaha as well as NAD, Rotel, ADCOM power amps. The top of the line Yamaha MX-1 goes for around $700 mint condition and you get yourself a highly accurate and musical class A 260W amp for that price.</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have just ordered a RX-V2400 too, and was going with all Yamaha NS basics for the speakers. Two NS-555 (Floor standing), NS-C444 (Center), YSTSW315 10&quot; Sub-woofer, and four NS-333's at the back - total cost for speakers only about $1350.

Is this a good choice or have I gone too cheap? Will the Yamaha HX series be worth the extra? I originaly avoided them as the floor-staning ones are too big for my wife!</font>

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Dr. Hug , If you liked the sound stage of the Onkyo/JBL combination why didn't you try the TX-NR901 which would have the features you were looking for and would have a sound stage close to the 501. I have almost the same speaker set up (s312,s center and s36 with the s120 sub) With a Denon avr 3802 that I really enjoy.</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>aarond
I bought the 701 and was some what hesitent about the onkyo issues Reliability.I knew it had less features options but the sound was calling me It was actually cheaper $100 less than the Yamaha 2400 but when I had it hooked up to my satillite dish I had channels lip-sync on me and I NEVER had this problem with the Yamaha.

I am not saying that it isn't good but I read a lot of issues on the reviews of issues. So I went back to the 2400. ( I don't have any regrets. Also for the 901 I would have to spend around $500-600 more. and no YPAO (Which improved my movie set up at least 40% and I thought my Movie setup was great)

I am trying to get the most out of the receiver and the speakers. The problem is their are soo many options. Either way I am getting great advise from my post.

BTW. Did you audition the JBL's with Yamaha, Onkyo How did you find the sound in comparison to the Denon?
&nbsp;
</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
RX-V2400 : <font color='#000000'>I have just ordered a RX-V2400 too, and was going with all Yamaha NS basics for the speakers. Two NS-555 (Floor standing), NS-C444 (Center), YSTSW315 10&quot; Sub-woofer, and four NS-333's at the back - total cost for speakers only about $1350.

Is this a good choice or have I gone too cheap? Will the Yamaha HX series be worth the extra? I originaly avoided them as the floor-staning ones are too big for my wife!</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>The HX are far superior to the NS-555/777 which are mid range offering from Yamaha.

If you are able to find the HX speakers in US, please forward me the list of dealers as there are lots of my friends looking for them desperately. The HX also comes as dual woofer bookshelf so take a look at them too.</font>

R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Sadly you are right about the HX not being available in USA! Why is this and so why are the NS-777 the top of the Yamaha line in USA when they have better everywhere else? I have written Yamaha on this.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>This point really needs to be taken up with Yamaha, call it irresponsible advertising or whatever, maybe someone should give them an earful at CES.</font>

D

dr.hug

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Any consolation, If you are close to Canada it is avalible up here.

It looks great ( I saw the center channel NS-C7HX) I didn;t get a chance to do a side by side comparison. ( sound wise with say the Paradigm or PSB etc...They carried the PSB and Yamaha at this store)
I think the NS-8HX was going for $2000 CDN</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>If you like the sound of Paradigm and Canton then the HX are quite similar with fantastic accurate mids and really superb transients.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis