Need some help with AVR 130

A

audio_newbie

Audiophyte
Ok, I am a complete A/V beginner at his wits end. I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 130 receiver and an Infinity home theater set to start off with. I already had a Samsung P721M progressive scan DVD player and a Sony 51 HDTV.

My tv has two component inputs and the AVR 130 doesn't have any. I connected the dvd player video to the component input via the proper cable on my tv and connected an optical audio cable from the dvd player to the receiver on the 'dvd optical input' jack.

Here's my problem: When I play a dvd movie, it only plays through dolby digital and I can't get it to play a dts movie in the dts format. I have checked the manual over and over and I'm not getting anywhere. I also confirmed that my dvd player is set for 'bit stream' and 'dts' is set to 'on'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
This might help

audio_newbie said:
Ok, I am a complete A/V beginner at his wits end. I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 130 receiver and an Infinity home theater set to start off with. I already had a Samsung P721M progressive scan DVD player and a Sony 51 HDTV.

My tv has two component inputs and the AVR 130 doesn't have any. I connected the dvd player video to the component input via the proper cable on my tv and connected an optical audio cable from the dvd player to the receiver on the 'dvd optical input' jack.

Here's my problem: When I play a dvd movie, it only plays through dolby digital and I can't get it to play a dts movie in the dts format. I have checked the manual over and over and I'm not getting anywhere. I also confirmed that my dvd player is set for 'bit stream' and 'dts' is set to 'on'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This might help, or not.

This is from the manual:
Surround Mode Group Selector: Press this button to select the top-level group of surround modes. Each press of the button will select the
current mode in each of the major groupings (e.*.,Dolby, DTS, Logic 7, DSP, Stereo). When the button is pressed so that the name of a mode in the desired surround-mode group appears in the onscreen display and in the Lower Display Line ¯, press the Surround Mode Selector to cycle through the individual modes available. For example,press this button to select Dolby modes, and then press the Surround Mode Selectorto choose from the
various mode options.

And:

DTS: Available only with digital input sources encoded with DTS data. Available on special DVD, LD and audio-only discs, DTS provides up to five separate main audio channels and a special dedicated low-frequency channel.

I don't know if this will help, but it seems that if you use the "Surround Mode Group Selector" button and the the "Surround Mode Selector" button to select DTS

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis