Need some hard evidence and feedback on decoupling subs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay everybody I've got some interesting feedback and insights on using decoupling on a sub. I'm having 2 PB 4000's delivered this weekend. So naturally I want the best solution that improves performance. Also if I don't need them Id rather return the decoupling devices since its already cost enough on this purchase. I also don't want to risk damaging the gloss finish in trying to put these on. Now some will say this has been covered but in my research I've found that I don't think it has and here's why. A lot of it is all opinion or theory on how it should work or doesn't work. So what I'm looking for in this thread is hard scientific study or data stating is there a measurable difference in decoupling subs to the floor on vibrations in the surrounding structure in the house. Is there a measurable difference in the performance and or sound of the subwoofer either positive or negative and can using them affect performance? Please leave out the theories on if an object in the water makes a wave etc etc and I've heard it both ways and this is what I think. I just want to know have studies actually been done and what is your proof or the studies proof in honest measurable data. No opinions no subjective I've heard a difference which can be all in our heads. What's the research say? Blind testing all measurements what's the hard data say? Thank you for your time.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have never seen any hard evidence that isolation platforms work. As far as I know, there is no study that has proven their effectiveness, and I have looked. Auralex has some vague charts on their website about their effectiveness, but they don't have any peer reviewed research paper, and that is really what would be needed. Yes, there are those who swear by their effectiveness, but there are also those who swear by the effectiveness of cable riser platforms- which goes to show you the worth of anecdotal evidence.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have never seen any hard evidence that isolation platforms work. As far as I know, there is no study that has proven their effectiveness, and I have looked. Auralex has some vague charts on their website about their effectiveness, but they don't have any peer reviewed research paper, and that is really what would be needed. Yes, there are those who swear by their effectiveness, but there are also those who swear by the effectiveness of cable riser platforms- which goes to show you the worth of anecdotal evidence.
Thanks man that's all I needed to know

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A lot of whether this would matter has to do with the construction of the building- if the floor is flexible and transmits a lot of low frequency vibrations, it might be a good thing to have but in most floors, the resonance will be outside of the sub's range. That doesn't mean things in other parts of the room won't vibrate because of the energy transfer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis