Need Replacement for Elite VSX-52 for 4k

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I have been away from this forum for a long time, but the particular skills here are needed once again. Basically, my HDTV is crapping out on me and I'm looking to get a new 4k to replace it.

My receiver, a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 paired with Aperion 6t and a 5c, has served me well over the past years. Since I would like to continue to have all sources go through my receiver, this requires an upgrade.

I am debating going with either a new all-in-one receiver or possibly with a lower receiver with pre-outs and a separate amp. I have an affinity for Pioneer Elites, but I am open to suggestions. Side note, I would like something with a little more power. The rare times I have the house to myself, the receiver seems to run out of breath with my speakers (91db/w sensitivity).

So what do you guys think? Should I got with something like a SC-90 and get 2-channel for the towers or upgrade to something like the SC-95?

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I am looking at 60-65" TVs. My current TV is a 55". I admittedly sit too far back to get the full effect of 4k, due to the layout of our living room. I'm not expecting a big jump in performance like SD to HD was, but I do want the best screen in my budget, and it seems the 4ks are offering the best screens (local dimming, 10 bit color, etc.). I am not getting a curved TV either.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I see, but my point is to notice ANY benefits from switching from 1080p to UHD (not 4k) at 65" TV you need to sit 7ft or closer from a screen.
Local dimming is not feature limited to UHD tvs...

10 bit color is nice, but be careful as not every UHD will support it.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I'm only buying the TV because my current one recently got a rash of black horizontal lines across the display. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be looking. I'm just trying to get the best screen I can for my money, and it seems the major manufacturers are putting all their best tech into 4k screens. That and in a few years when 4k content is respectable, I would like to be prepared. I'm looking primarily at the Samsung SUHD flat screens and the Sony Xbr line of screens.

Regardless of the benefit, 4k resolution is the future. Since I only buy TVs when I have to, I would rather plan ahead than stay with the status quo. I love my current TV, but when 4k isn't appreciably more than HD, I'm going 4k.

What are your thoughts on my original question about the receiver?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
This is a good question. I also have the same situation, as I am sure hordes of people also will, as more and more people will need 4K capable receivers as UltraHD Blu-ray rolls out. My Onkyo receiver has been great, but I do plan to purchase a UHD TV and receiver to go with a UHD BR player when the new format is released.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm only buying the TV because my current one recently got a rash of black horizontal lines across the display. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be looking. I'm just trying to get the best screen I can for my money, and it seems the major manufacturers are putting all their best tech into 4k screens. That and in a few years when 4k content is respectable, I would like to be prepared. I'm looking primarily at the Samsung SUHD flat screens and the Sony Xbr line of screens.

Regardless of the benefit, 4k resolution is the future. Since I only buy TVs when I have to, I would rather plan ahead than stay with the status quo. I love my current TV, but when 4k isn't appreciably more than HD, I'm going 4k.
Back few years ago I bought best TV panel for my budget, which also happen to be "SmartTv" and 3D.
I used the "smart" exactly twice and 3d - Zero.
Just because these is a new feature, it doesn't mean you MUST use it. I applaud you for investing in better quality panel, but getting stuck on 4k and it's requirements shouldn't be your first priority.
Just use it with your existing Pioneer AVR and enjoy, later on when UHD is more finalized get an updated receiver.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Back few years ago I bought best TV panel for my budget, which also happen to be "SmartTv" and 3D.
I used the "smart" exactly twice and 3d - Zero.
Just because these is a new feature, it doesn't mean you MUST use it. I applaud you for investing in better quality panel, but getting stuck on 4k and it's requirements shouldn't be your first priority.
Just use it with your existing Pioneer AVR and enjoy, later on when UHD is more finalized get an updated receiver.
I agree with you on that actually. I bought a Samsung JS8000 today specifically because it had everything i wanted and nothing i didnt. No 3d, no curve. Just a highly rated panel, 120hz, hdr, and 10-bit color. I dont care about smart tvs either, but they're tough to avoid.

Im going to hold off on a new receiver for a while. I'll likely use optical for the time being until the new protocols and what not get ironed out.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I'm using a new VSX-90 which has all the stuff you need for 4K. It also does 5.2.2 Atmos or 7.2. That is one to look at.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis