G

goodfellon

Audiophyte
I wish I would have found this group sooner, but...I am putting together an a/v system for my family room...Because I have a toddler and the wifes aesthetics, I was limited in my options...What I have so far.

SHARP LC-37D6U
Polk LC 265i Inwalls L/R
Orb Audio Mod2 Center
Orb Audio Super Eight Sub

Music and DVD/TV is a 50/50 split on use...I have $1500 left to spend on a receiver and dvd player....I am leaning towards the Yamaha RXV2600 over the Denon 3806 and the Denon 2910 player...Any thoughts on these choices based on the above equiptment or other suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
What are the prices on the units. Can you get a good DVD player and receiver buying either combination? Does one receiver have options you consider optimal over the other? Have you had a chance to listen to both receivers? Which one do you like the sound of the best?
Roly

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers

You really need the speakers to tonally match, especially the mains and center channel. Consider using inwall, on-wall, or bookshelf speakers on brackets for all channels. One good option would be the new Axiom audio on-wall speakers: W22 mains, W100 center, and QS8 surrounds.

You should also consider spending a larger portion of the budget on speakers vs. receiver and DVD player. You could step down to a Yamaha RX-V1500 or 2500 receiver ($5-800) and an oppo digital DVD player ($200). This will also leave you enough money for a 10" sub from SVS or HSU. I have heard that the finish on the SVS is very durable (i.e. toddler proof).

G

goodfellon

Audiophyte
I already have purchased the equipment that is listed and the wife does not want any more spekers...I was told by a customer service rep at Orb that the center speaker would work with the Polks...How do I tell if this is true???

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
goodfellon said:
I already have purchased the equipment that is listed and the wife does not want any more spekers...I was told by a customer service rep at Orb that the center speaker would work with the Polks...How do I tell if this is true???
It's not. The mains and center need to be from the same manufacturer, and of the same model line.

The Yamaha/Denon combo will be great. I prefer Yamaha receivers, but it seems as though Denon dvd players might have a little edge.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Using different mains/center will work. It's not the best solution but it isn't like you will blow anything up. The worst that can happen is that there will be some variation in sound when panning left to right. I have some old Advent's as my mains and a Polk center speaker. It sounds great. I will be upgrading to identical speakers all around when I can but in the mean time my setup is fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis