Z

zamac_man

Enthusiast
I have these speakers

http://www.jensen.com/home_electronics.aspx?ProductID=182&SubCategoryID=20&CategoryID=2
and this reciciver

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL005015&pathId=5&page=2&archive=true

If I am reading this right all 5 speakers are getting 100 watts a piece. They are supposed to be getting 60 watts. Will that 100 hurt them? Also all the speakers are 8ohms except the center one it is 4. Will that hurt my reciciver?

This is going in my bedroom. After I figure out how to hook this up I will buy better wire(have 24 guage right now) and fix the speakers up in my room

JVC

JVC

Banned
You should be ok, as long as you don't turn the volume up all the way, and leave it! :D
If you have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby, you can get rolls of 14 or 12 ga. speaker wire, at a very reasonable price.

Good choice on the receiver.

Z

zamac_man

Enthusiast
JVC said:
You should be ok, as long as you don't turn the volume up all the way, and leave it! :D
If you have a Home Depot or Lowes nearby, you can get rolls of 14 or 12 ga. speaker wire, at a very reasonable price.

Good choice on the receiver.
I just about bought some monster cable 16 guage speaker wire off of ebay last night. Is 16 guage not enough? Also are you sure that the 4 ohm speaker will not hurt the receiver?

I got the receiver and speakers for a good price. My uncle rents houses out and he had a nonpaying customer that left behind lots of stuff :D

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
M'boy, you worry too much! Only the cheapest of el cheapo receivers will have any trouble with a 4 ohm load. If your receiver is rated for 4 ohms as well as 8 ohms it means the mfr. made it to drive both impedances. If something bad hasn't happened by now, it never will.

An amplifier will only put out its maximum rated watts if, as noted above, you crank it way up. If your speakers are experiencing distress they'll distort pretty badly as a warning that you're pushing it; unless you're seriously hearing impaired or clueless you can get to the volume control before the scent of melting voice coil glue perfumes the air.

16ga. speaker wire is perfectly fine for most normal length runs (say, less than 20 feet or so - one of the cable articles here should have the figures). That's what I'm using for my 6' runs. There's no particular sonic or electrical advantage to Monster or any "name brand" speaker wire.

Relax and enjoy!

Z

zamac_man

Enthusiast
I can only find that the reciever is rated at 8ohms. I just do not want to not have a center channel.

Z

zamac_man

Enthusiast
I got some 14 gauage speaker wire yesterday. I thought it was my center speaker that was 4ohms but it is the two front satellites. The recieciver is 8ohms. I read this

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/000726_4ohm_speakers.php

does that mean I should be safe with those speakers at 4ohms? Should I turn the volume down just on the 2front satellites? I think those are getting more power since they are 4ohms

does anyone know any good cheap front satellites I could buy to go with this?

Last edited:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Relax dude,

Your speaker should be fine. Plus, that JVC received is not pumping out anywhere near 100 WPC. Most mass marker receivers like yours and even my Yamaha 1400 probably only produce 60 to 70% of their listed WPC specs. I seriously doubt you will damage your speakers unless, like Rip stated, you intend to break out windows with the volume. You eardrums will likely burst before that happens.

Shinerman

Z

zamac_man

Enthusiast
Shinerman said:
Relax dude,

Your speaker should be fine. Plus, that JVC received is not pumping out anywhere near 100 WPC. Most mass marker receivers like yours and even my Yamaha 1400 probably only produce 60 to 70% of their listed WPC specs. I seriously doubt you will damage your speakers unless, like Rip stated, you intend to break out windows with the volume. You eardrums will likely burst before that happens.

Shinerman
I am not afraid of blowing my speakers I am more afraid of frying my reciever since it is rated at 8ohms and my front 2 speakers are 4ohms

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Dude,

Relax a little, take a deep breath, that's it, everything cool now? Good. :cool:

Like the guys in the previous posts said, you will not fry you receiver. :)

That is unless you try and jump start you parents car by connecting jumper cables to the speaker terminals. :eek:

(I'm assuming you still live with them and do not have your own car yet.) :(

Z

zamac_man

Enthusiast
sorry guys its just that I fried my car amp trying to hook up my subs because I wired it wrong. I have my own car and I live with my parents. I just wanted to make sure I would not fry it because I do not want to be buying a new reciever

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Well, if you hook up your speakers wrong, the worst and only thing that will happen is that they are out of phase.

They will not blow

Your amp will not blow

Do you understand

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
zamac_man said:
sorry guys its just that I fried my car amp trying to hook up my subs because I wired it wrong. I have my own car and I live with my parents. I just wanted to make sure I would not fry it because I do not want to be buying a new reciever
Just make D**N sure you don't short circuit the wires.

That means don't let a "+" (or red) wire touch a "-" (or black) wire.

Oh, and when kerfutzing around with wiring, always make sure the power is off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis