Need Help with upgrading system!

A

acstech

Audioholic Intern
I currently have a JVC Home Theater in a box 100w per channel system. I want to build a new system one piece at a time. I plan on replacing my speakers first but don’t have the funds do due it all at once. What would you replace first? If I where to replace the center channel speaker first with a Polk CS1 speaker and build from there would my system sound funny? I am considering using the Polk Monitor 30 or 40 for my front and surround. I am not sure if I will be staying at 5.1 or going to 7.1. I will buy a receiver that supports 7.1 and I am looking at the HK AVR 635 as the receiver. My room is 10 X 27 and 8’ ceiling. None of my choices our set in stone so any info would be greatly appreciated.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
acstech said:
I currently have a JVC Home Theater in a box 100w per channel system. I want to build a new system one piece at a time. I plan on replacing my speakers first but don’t have the funds do due it all at once. What would you replace first? If I where to replace the center channel speaker first with a Polk CS1 speaker and build from there would my system sound funny? I am considering using the Polk Monitor 30 or 40 for my front and surround. I am not sure if I will be staying at 5.1 or going to 7.1. I will buy a receiver that supports 7.1 and I am looking at the HK AVR 635 as the receiver. My room is 10 X 27 and 8’ ceiling. None of my choices our set in stone so any info would be greatly appreciated.
You can do it one piece at a time. Replacing the center isn't going to make it sound funny, just all the dialog will sound good and everything else is going to sound like crap. I'd just try to make sure whatever line of speakers you stary buying are going to be around for a while.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
If I were in your shoes I think I would build like this:

1. Main speakers
2. Sub
3. Center
4. Surrounds

There is no right or wrong here other than selecting the total system first. Listen to them all together at the store before you buy anything so as you add speakers you know they all mate well together.

A

acstech

Audioholic Intern
Follow up question

Thank you for your responses!
Would I see more of an improvement by replacing my speakers before my receiver or should I replace my receiver first.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think you should opt to replace speakers first, then the receiver. The reason is, most subwoofers that come with HTiB systems are passive, so they need to be powered by the main unit. Most subs you buy separately are active, meaning they need a low-level signal (as they are self-powered).

I think the best thing to do for movie watching would be to find a center channel that you like and replace it first. It will clean up the dialog as well as most of the sound you hear in the movie. From there, repace the L&R speakers. After that, replace the receiver AND the subwoofer. The surrounds should be your last investment, as they get used the least in a movie.

What kind of budget are you looking at for this first step?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers

If possible, listen to other speakers in your price range. Add athena audition series and BIC venturi to your list.

A

acstech

Audioholic Intern
I Will!

I am going to listen to the Athena audition series tonight for the first time. They are less expensive then the Polk's so we will see. Where is a good place to get the bic speakers?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
acstech said:
Would I see more of an improvement by replacing my speakers before my receiver or should I replace my receiver first.

Absolutely you should start with the speakers. They make the most difference in audio. A receiver or amp depends on the speakers needs so it follows the speakers you must have.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
BIC speakers can be found super cheap online. Amazon consistently has the best price (surprisingly).

I have two pairs of these (fronts and surrounds):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JPDI/104-3686902-9580760?v=glance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

And one of these as a center:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009WBYL/104-3686902-9580760?v=glance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

They sound great, especially for the money. I also use a Hsu STF-1 for my subwoofer. It's a great value and has usable output to 25Hz. I was thinking about some other models, but in my environment, a front firing design is too prone to damage.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis