Need help with upgrade

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

Back in 2017, you guys helped with my upgrade.
Now I’m looking forward to upgrade my speakers again, back in 2017 I bought 3 Philharmonic Audio Accuracy Monitor.
My budget will be between 1000 - 1500 pair. My receiver is Denon avr-x3300w, also a Panasonic Blu-Ray and a Technics SL 1200MK2. SVS SB12 Subwoofer.

My room it is 10x10.
I leave here in the US.
Some contenders are:
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Elac Unify Reference
Kef LS 50 Meta
Klipsch RP-600M

Please, what do you guys think about these speakers any other suggestion?
After the speakers the next upgrade will be an amplifier, maybe a Tube amp.

Thank you very much for your help,

Luiz V

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd still look at Philharmonic even if your budget is limited, you could still diy a pair of BMRs within it I believe, or save up a bit for a Salk version. Ascend Acoustics has some nice offerings to consider. In your list I'd leave out the Klipsch myself and maybe just start off with an in-home trial of the SVS while you consider options but overall hard to know what speakers you might prefer as its a fairly personal choice. Which of these have you had any experience with?

I wouldn't call a tube amp an upgrade myself....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
small room and it's square, never a good thing. Have you address room acoustics ? If not, I'd start there first

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The SVS, Elac and KEF are all good options. The LS 50 Meta is an end game speaker for a lot of people. A Philharmonic BMR kit runs around $1000 for the drivers and crossovers but then you need someone to build the cabinets if that's not within your skill set. You'd end up with a $2000 speaker that performs as well as a $3000 speaker, though. ;) The rectangular BMRs are $1700 and last I heard are in stock. The curved BMRs are $1900 but waiting for the next batch of cabinets. You should have a look at the Philharmonic site again as the BMRs are only a couple of hundred over your budget.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The tube amp is very likely to be a downgrade. Don't be fooled by any claims of fidelity, and only get it if you like looking at Vacuum tubes.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I wouldn't call a tube amp an upgrade - more like a tone control for most.

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
I'd still look at Philharmonic even if your budget is limited, you could still diy a pair of BMRs within it I believe, or save up a bit for a Salk version. Ascend Acoustics has some nice offerings to consider. In your list I'd leave out the Klipsch myself and maybe just start off with an in-home trial of the SVS while you consider options but overall hard to know what speakers you might prefer as its a fairly personal choice. Which of these have you had any experience with?

Didn’t have any experience with the speakers yet. Very good idea about the SVS, maybe I can do the same with Elac.
I like the idea of use tube amp with my turntable, but for now it is just an idea. Need to do some room treatment also. Thanks.

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
small room and it's square, never a good thing. Have you address room acoustics ? If not, I'd start there first
Yes, definitely need to do some room treatment before. Thanks.

L

Luiz Vacanti

Audioholic Intern
The tube amp is very likely to be a downgrade. Don't be fooled by any claims of fidelity, and only get it if you like looking at Vacuum tubes.
I like to use the tube amp with my turntable, but this is just a thought for now. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn’t have any experience with the speakers yet. Very good idea about the SVS, maybe I can do the same with Elac.
I like the idea of use tube amp with my turntable, but for now it is just an idea. Need to do some room treatment also. Thanks.
SVS will pay return shipping if you don't like them, RSL has the same offer but many others, even if they have an in-home trial period, will not pay return shipping so look at terms carefully.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis