Need help with sub location...

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had to make some changes in my living room. The end result is my low end sounds have disappeared. I tried what is recommended in the crawling for bass article to find a new spot for the sub. Now I have my sub six inches behind my couch, facing into it. The sound is fine when I am leaned back, but if I lean forward or move more than a foot, it completely dissappears. It also shakes my couch (good) but you can feel exactly where it is coming from (bad). So I need to find a different place for it.

My apartment is tiny, so options for placement are limited. How do I get my low end sound back?

Thanks

Jack

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I have read from credible sources (Kal Rubinson, I forget which magazine he writes for) where elevated subs were not only OK, but to be desired. WAF ruled it out in his case.

Could this help with the behind the couch thing?

Nick

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have my M&K MX-100 push-pull sub on my side wall. So if I am looking at my TV it is to the left and in front of me, but not to close to my front speakers. I also live in a apartment, my neighbors don't respect the awesomeness of the M&K, instead they come with pitch forks to kill what they thought was "the beast".:D

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

I moved my couch forward about a foot and a half toward the tv. This allowed me to lower my surrounds and move them forward, now I hear them much better. Before the move I hit my head on the left one a lot. Plus I needed a little more room behind the couch. The sub was located in the corner next to the front left speaker. Now it is where the rack on the right is in the picture.
There really is no where to raise it to. As you can see in the layout and the picture, options are limited. Any more suggestions?
View attachment 3755
View attachment 3754

Thanks

Jack

Last edited:
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Allright, I got most the sound back. I put the sub back in the original position but faced the woofer toward the tv wall as opposed to toward the couch (how it was originally placed). There is still a bit of variance between db's on each test tone, but all are audible again and eveything is enjoyable.

Jack

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Jack Hammer said:
Allright, I got most the sound back. I put the sub back in the original position but faced the woofer toward the tv wall as opposed to toward the couch (how it was originally placed). There is still a bit of variance between db's on each test tone, but all are audible again and eveything is enjoyable.

Jack
Jack, I think I speak for everyone when I say,

CLEAN UP! :p

Its good to hear that your subwoofer is back in the audible domain.

SHeepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say just get some Aura Pros and stick them on the bottom of the couch... Put the sub under the coffee table facing you, or if there is any room at all to put it on the right wall behind the couch, try that.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Jack Hammer said:
I moved my couch forward about a foot and a half toward the tv. This allowed me to lower my surrounds and move them forward, now I hear them much better. Before the move I hit my head on the left one a lot. Plus I needed a little more room behind the couch. The sub was located in the corner next to the front left speaker. Now it is where the rack on the right is in the picture.
There really is no where to raise it to. As you can see in the layout and the picture, options are limited. Any more suggestions?
View attachment 3755
View attachment 3754

Thanks

Jack

:eek:

That's a lotta big speakers in a tiny room!!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You have a problem if you hit your head on your speakers.:D

I would still try the sub on that right wall, with the woofer facing the room.

audiorookie

audiorookie

Audioholic Intern
I would stick the Sub where ever it fits :D lol.
Pretty small space hay maybe behind the couch, make your couch rummble!:p

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
You will have a very hard time finding an optimum location for a sub in such a small room as yours, if there is one at all.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Jack Hammer said:
There is still a bit of variance between db's on each test tone, but all are audible again and eveything is enjoyable.
Jack
And that is the bottom line. Congrats.

Nick

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

The problem I had when I put it behind the couch against the right wall was the sound was good if I didn't move more than 6-12" from my primary listening spot. If I leaned forward, still sitting in primary, the sound dropped out. Also, as I mentioned, it made my couch shake (good), but it was completely localizable (bad). All bass sounded and felt like it was coming from the subwoofer. It was funny, but the sub sounded better from my bedroom than it did in the livingroom with that location.

The new location, same as the old one but facing away, gives me sound regardless of where I sit or if I lean to one side or another. By facing it into the wall, I get a little more vibration in the couch than I did when it faced me from the same spot.:)

Thanks for the replies

Jack

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis