Need help with speaker decision

R

Riley2491

Audiophyte
I am brand new to the whole speaker business and I am trying to assemble a sound system. What I am most torn on is the speakers. I cannot decide if I should go with Paradigm atom v7 or the Elac B5. I live in a rural community in Nova Scotia Canada so getting to test things out isn't the easiest. A store near where I am from has the paradigm atoms in stock. I am in university so am on a budget and am just using summer job money to pay this stuff off, so I am just very tentative with which one I should go with. I would like to support the local store and what not, but if the sound of the Atoms is much less than probably not worth it. I will mainly be using this sound system for movies and TV but will be playing music now and again.
Thank you to anyone who helps me out!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If the Paradigm cost a lot more, I wouldn't buy them.

R

Riley2491

Audiophyte
They would cost me around the same give or take 20-30 bucks.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They would cost me around the same give or take 20-30 bucks.
Do you have an amp or AVR to drive the speakers? Have you considered that in your budget?

What is your budget?

R

Riley2491

Audiophyte
I was thinking of ordering the Denon AVR-S510BT. I just bought a 4K curved Tv and am moving into a small apartment soon. I am also open to any new ideas for different receiver. My budget is roughly 1400 I would say. I was looking at the Martin Logan Dynamo 500 sub. Store that is near me is selling it at 470 taxes in (CDN) which seems like a good deal from every where else I have seen for the same sub. As I said earlier I really don'y know a whole lot so am open to any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
R

Riley2491

Audiophyte
It doesn't hurt to audition them at your local store to see how you like them.

Can you order items from Amazon Canada with free returns like here in the US?

I also recommend NHT.

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-SuperOne-2-1-Bookshelf/dp/B00LJX4HCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495812362&sr=8-2&keywords=NHT

I would personally take the NHT over the Paradigm.

But if you love the sound of the Paradigm, then buy them.
Yeah my dad has a whole home theatre setup and he has some Paradigm speakers and they sound great to me (Not sure what type of Paradigms they are) so Im just hoping I will like the atoms because I would prefer to buy in store but worse comes to worse just will have to buy online

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah my dad has a whole home theatre setup and he has some Paradigm speakers and they sound great to me (Not sure what type of Paradigms they are) so Im just hoping I will like the atoms because I would prefer to buy in store but worse comes to worse just will have to buy online
There are some great options online. I would suggest at least looking at some of those options to see what else is available to you. I put my whole system together ordering everything online.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd contact Dennis and see if he'd be willing to ship his AA's to Canada. The price is cheap and you'd have plenty of room to pay for extra shipping/import taxes
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Performance wise they easily match vs $400-500 speakers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis