Need help with possible cable interference.

I

ikke11

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I'm running new wires in my home and I was thinking of distibuting audio into different rooms. Initially I was thinking of a russound or xantech setup, but the ZÖN system (www.zonaudio.com) looks very nice as well.
The concept of these systems are different and so the wiring is a little different as well. To accomodate both setups, I was thinking to run the cat5e cable, to feed the keypads, and the speaker cable (4x (2x2) 16Gauge) into one tube.

My question: will this generate interference ?

tx,

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I would not expect any interference. I recently ran a test using a 12/4 cable (four 12 AWG wires encased in a single cable). I use two of the conductors for RLC measurement purposes and playing test tones. I used a B&K model 885 to measure the RLC parameters. I used a Rat shack multimeter to measure the frequency of the test tones (connected directly to the wire), and a BOSS tuner to measure a concert A from the speakers. All of this was repeated three times. The first time the two unused conductors were doing nothing. The second time the two conductors were powering a 500 watt photo lamp. The third time, the two conductors were playing pink noise to achieve 75 dB 1 meter from the speakers.

In each of the two tests, there were no observable (or audible) differences in measured parameters compared to the baseline test.

I would however, recommend a larger gauge wire for the speakers, say 12 if you can afford and fit it. 14 AWG minimum.

I

ikke11

Audiophyte
Great!
Thanks for the info. Looking at the price and the amount of cable I will need, I will probably go for the 14AWG. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis