Need Help with New Reciever & HDMI DVD Connection!

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
Hello everyone,

Newbee here in the process of upgrading my 9 year old Home Theater and to say things have changed a bit is an understatement! Here is the equipment I have bought so far and have questions on the best way to connect:

HDTV - Sony KDP-57WS655 (CRT RPTV) with 1 HDMI input

Receiver – Pioneer 1014, no HDMI inputs but plenty of component / S-video / composite inputs.

DVD – Toshiba SD-V592 DVD/VCR combo with HDMI port & video up-conversion.

Currently I have the DVD’s HDMI going directly to the TV’s HDMI port as I am using the TV’s speakers and have not setup my receiver yet. I plan to use my Receiver for audio only and run my video straight into the TV as this seems to be the preferred method (right?), but HDMI contains both video and audio. If I keep this HDMI DVD/TV connection and run my TV’s digital audio output to the Receivers "TV Input" and set my Receiver to “TV” will I still get the Dolby/DTS/THX decoding from my Receiver? Is this the proper way to use the DVD’s HDMI with a Receiver that does not have a HDMI input?

I could connect the component connections from my DVD to the TV and the DVD’s optical port to the Receiver but I would be unable to up-scale to 720P / 1080i as that can only be done using the DVD's HDMI connection.

I plan to use the S-Video for the VCR part of the player to the TV and composite audio to the Receiver.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks.

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
I think John A answered my question

OK, from the "HDMI" post below John stated:

"If the receiver will not have the HDMI then take the HDMI from the DVD to the TV and a digital audio out from the DVD to the receiver. Make sure you go into the menu of the receiver and set the digital input to the correct Video input."

So if I go this route and assign the digital audio to my DVD player in my Receiver menu and disable the internal TV speakers (Sony allows this) I should have audio comming from my Receiver only right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis