Need help with HTiB set-up

N

Nyssa

Audiophyte
I purchased a HT-S777c for my husband's birthday and I'm trying to get it set-up without much luck. I have sound from everything and picture from the DVD but no picture from the Cable or VCR. Here is how I set things up per the sales person - S-video from the receiver to the TV, Analog Audio with Composite Video Connection from both the cable box and vcr to the receiver. Digital Audio (Coaxial) with S-Video Connection for the DVD. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I'm clueless!

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
try this

make sure you have changed the input from DVD to Cable and or VCR,(this may be listed as VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, etc...) also make sure in the menu that the audio and video are set up correctly. You may have to set it so it "knows" what A/V input to select (ie. analog over digital)

I hope that helps some.

N

Nyssa

Audiophyte
not sure I understand completely

I understand the video 1/video 2 input however I thought by send it from the moniter out put to the one input on the TV that would mean I'd only use one. Is this not the case? I did go thru the TV inputs with as a test and still got nothing as far as picture :( Now where you lost me was "You may have to set it so it "knows" what A/V input to select (ie. analog over digital)" - I'm not sure how to do this?

U

Unregistered

If I followed your description properly:

You have the receiver's monitor out s-video connected to the TV and the DVD player connected to the receiver via s-video as well but you have the cable and vcr connected to the receiver via composite video.

If that is correct, the problem is that the receiver does not convert from composite video to s-video. That is why you get video from the dvd player but not the cable or vcr. The format of the input signal has to match the format of the output signal for receivers that don't perform any conversions. The receiver that comes with that htib is nearly identical to the 501 and it definitely does not do any composite to s-video conversion.

Your options:
1. If vcr AND cable box have s-video outputs, use them to connect to the receiver. DVD to receiver and receiver to tv can remain s-video as you now have it. Now all connections into and out of the receiver are s-video.
2. If vcr and cable box have composite video outputs only, then you will have to change the dvd to receiver connection to composite video and the receiver to tv connection to composite video as well.

U

Unregistered

Nyssa said:
Now where you lost me was "You may have to set it so it "knows" what A/V input to select (ie. analog over digital)" - I'm not sure how to do this?
What JohnA meant by that is that you have to tell the receiver which digital input to get the audio from when you press an input selector.

You said the dvd player is connected to the coaxial digital input. After you select the dvd input, press the 'digital input' button until it says coax(auto). Now the coax digital input is assigned to the dvd input selector.

You must have done this already because the dvd input is by default set to the optical 1 input or maybe that receiver is slightly different than other Onkyo receivers and the default is coax.

N

Nyssa

Audiophyte
Thank You!

Thank you both for your help! I ran an additional composite video from the receiver to video 2 to get the cable and VCR and left the S-video DVD in video 1 on the TV and that seems to have got everything working with sound and video. My hubby is very grateful, as am I because I was being to get very frustrated since the people at the store were of NO help! Thanks again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis