Need help with HT and multi-room audio

J

Joseph Sulse

Audiophyte
Looking for some technical advice and my situation is this:
A very simple 5.1 surround system in family room which can control the in-wall/ceiling multi-room speakers located throughout the house. I would also like the family system to send audio to a separate 7.1 surround system (main movie watching area) located in the opposite side of the house so that all speakers in the house can play the same audio signal. What has me a bit confused is all the distribution amp boxes, individual room volume and IR controls. Is there a basic schematic which can help me choose the correct hardware complex multi-room audio/visual system?

Thanks,
Joseph

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I suggest you PM BMXTRIX. He works with this kind of stuff all the time (Crestron especially) and he can help you figure out costs, etc.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sure, sure, blame me for everything.

Well, there is an easy way to do this, but it isn't easy. ;) You really have to plan things out.

1. Make a list of each room, what you want it to do, and what will be in there. Include in this list surround rooms w/video, stereo rooms w/video, stereo rooms, and future rooms that you are prewiring now.

2. PREWIRE NOW!

3. RUN CONDUIT NOW!

4. Repeat 2-3 ten times over so that every room in your house is fully wired the way you have dreamed of.

5. Pick an A/V receiver that has dual 5.1 output. I have not dug to far into this, but something like the Denon 5805 may be in order here. Or, you can split the digital coaxial to a second location if you want. This works well to run optical locally then send digital coax to another location 30-50 feet away with an A/V receiver there.

6. Video switchers for HDTV, s-video, composite, etc. are not inexpensive. You can go extron (www.extron.com) and run the appropriate wiring. This can (will) get pricey though. Keep in mind that HDMI can't run more than about 50 feet reliably without amps or conversion of some type. Also, plan carefully the wiring for all this.

7. Determine how you want the 'other rooms' to be powered, amplified, controlled, etc. There are solutions that range from a volume control at the head end with one good amp. To volume controls with a speaker selector at the head end. All the way up to a Crestron system with individual in-wall control keypads, a pre-amp at the head end and individual amplification, and source selection for each room.

I personally run Crestron in my home - but that's what I do for a living. If you can afford it, there is nothing that is more reliable and more simple to operate which really makes things easy and usable for the whole family. But, Crestron is control laid on top of all the other equipment which should still be chosen carefully.

If this all sounds to mind boggling, try contacting a consultant in your area. I know when I do consulting for something like what you have it is about 40+ hours of work to get the job done right. Wiring labelling schedules, being there when the wires are all pulled to make sure the job is done right, double checking all the wiring, terminating everything. Cutting in speakers... It all takes time, and lots of it.

8. When it all seems crazy - start at the top of the list - careful planning for each room.

J

Joseph Sulse

Audiophyte
Wow, not as easy as my stereo, eh? I can do this though, with a little guidance. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. What would help me out tremdously is a schematic of an existing system. Trying to work backward from what I want and then finding the equipment to accomplish the task is difficult as we all know. Sifting through all the available new hardware is a daunting task! Anyone have a system laid out on paper they wish to share to give me a better idea what is involved? In the mean time I will write out speaker placement and how I wish each zone to be controled.

Cheers,
Joseph

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis