need help with home sub connections

R

rookie

I have an MTX 12" 100 watt home powered sub. The directions weren't included(bought it used). How do I hook it up to my receiver. I thought I would run a cable from my speaker A input on my receiver to the main input on the amp. Then I connect the amp's to R & L satellites to my individual speakers. This isn't working though. I know the sub works because we were listening to it when I decided to buy it. Please help, I'm clueless.

D

Dr. Anthony

Audioholic Intern
Start with your receiver

If you have a suwoofer out from your receiver use an rca cable to attach it to the sub and turn on that output from the receiver. If you receiver does not have a sub output and the mtx subwoofer has a pass through capability as you describe you must make sure the sub is turned on attach the speaker "OUTPUTS" to the mtx input and attach your satellites to the mtx sub. We find that you will have to make sure your speaker wires are exactly matched from the reciever +/- LR to tre subs +/- LR because if you mix up the +/- on one channel on the sub inputs you might actually cancel all the base and most sound as they are out of phase ( and possibly damage the amp or receiver.) You also may have to substantially increase the volume knob on the mtx if your receiver's output is low. If you are running multiple speakers on A/B outputs on your receiver simultaneously, you might also decrease volume level substantially so turn the other set of speakers off to test the system.

Hope that helps :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis