Need Help With Fitting Movies to Screen

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I have a Samsung Q70A 85” tv, Apple TV 4K, Sony Blue Ray 4K player, and Denon X4700 AVR. I want to fit my movies, either disc or digital, to fit my screen when watching. My Samsung settings seem to only allow me to do an aspect ratio of 16:9. it also appears the “fit to screen” is on, but any movie I watch, still shrinks the picture giving me black bars on all sides. How do I get my movies to fill the whole screen? My knowledge is limited with aspect ratio and adjusting these settings. I’m looking for some help if this can be changed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How would you fit 1.85:1 to the whole screen without screwing it up? I've seen some do it via a zoom feature where you chop off part of the content. OTOH my 1.85:1 content will have top/bottom bars but not side bars (is this just your digital content or also bluray discs?). Do you still use 4:3 content?

R

Rylan

Audioholic
How would you fit 1.85:1 to the whole screen without screwing it up? I've seen some do it via a zoom feature where you chop off part of the content. OTOH my 1.85:1 content will have top/bottom bars but not side bars (is this just your digital content or also bluray discs?). Do you still use 4:3 content?
Most of my content only has bars in the top and bottom. It bugs the heck out of my wife. Was trying to see if there was any kind of solution to work around it

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Most of my content only has bars in the top and bottom. It bugs the heck out of my wife. Was trying to see if there was any kind of solution to work around it
There isn't one...watch things as they were intended to be watched. (you cant break the laws of graphics)
This comes up on AVS all the time and always turns into a highly amusing thread.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
You would need to get movies that says (Wide screen version) those will Fill up the whole screen. Other than that as isolar8001 stated, your 4K HD TV is 16.9.which all are these days. About the only other time you'll get full screen is from OTA, antenna TV, But then again that Also depends on the source being broadcast.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That sounds like normal 1.85:1 content. 16:9 will fill a normal widescreen. A friend of mine's wife had the same opinion, and wouldn't even let him buy a widescreen set for a while because she didn't want to "waste" the blank space. After a while she learned about aspect ratio and when pointed out how distorted things could get by trying to force other aspect ratios...she's now comfortable with it. Good luck!

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
That sounds like normal 1.85:1 content. 16:9 will fill a normal widescreen. A friend of mine's wife had the same opinion, and wouldn't even let him buy a widescreen set for a while because she didn't want to "waste" the blank space. After a while she learned about aspect ratio and when pointed out how distorted things could get by trying to force other aspect ratios...she's now comfortable with it. Good luck!
Well stated HD!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just have to hit that Zoom or Widescreen button to scroll through all the display options and see which one looks the best to you.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I appreciate all the advice. Sounds like I may have more of a wife issue than an aspect ratio issue, lol. I love how simple a wife’s idea of what’s important can be and doesn’t bother to understand the reason behind it (at least mine). All the input was helpful!

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Just have to hit that Zoom or Widescreen button to scroll through all the display options and see which one looks the best to you.
Didn’t see these options on the Samsung Q70A, but will look closer. Appreciate it

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
My Sony won't let me do that when either streaming or 4k disc. I tried just for **** and giggles. Only time I can use any screen Format is when I use OTA. My Hisense was the same way. But like HD stated why would anyone want to Stretch, or zoom just to fill up your nice 4K screen, end up with chopped off image with Digital noise making it look not right. I want as close as The Director intended the movie to look like, black bars or not.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Didn’t see these options on the Samsung Q70A, but will look closer. Appreciate it
If it’s not on the remote (like it is on my Sony TVs), then it might be in the Settings.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My Sony won't let me do that when either streaming or 4k disc. I tried just for **** and giggles. Only time I can use any screen Format is when I use OTA. My Hisense was the same way. But like HD stated why would anyone want to Stretch, or zoom just to fill up your nice 4K screen, end up with chopped off image with Digital noise making it look not right. I want as close as The Director intended the movie to look like, black bars or not.
That’s what most of us want. But a few people are resistant. :D

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I prefer not to lose any image or stretch it. This helps! I’ll do my best to explain to my wife the reasons stated above, and when it’s dark you don’t even notice the blank spaces

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is very little content I see which doesn't fill my screen unless it is older 4:3 content with bars on the left/right of the image, or movies in the 2.35 aspect ratio with black bars above and below the image. I don't see any content with black bars both above/below and left/right of the image.

If you are running into aspect ratio issues constantly, then there may be something else going on and it could be a resolution setting in one of the devices. HDTV content should fill the screen completely, like the menus in Apple TV or from your Blu-ray Disc player. If you constantly have black bars all around, then I would connect the device DIRECTLY to the TV, bypassing the AV receiver, and go into the resolution settings of the device and ensure it is setup properly. It takes some time to do this testing, but at the end of the day, you will see if the Denon is adding some issue along the way, or if the source is causing the problem.

If the complaint is that 4:3 content is 4:3 and there are black bars. Or 2.35 content is 2.35 and has black bars, then this is something that you guys just need to deal with. That's the way the content was shot, so it is how it is being presented.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis