Need help with B&W 700 series speaker selection!

N

nyny

Hi guys,

I am planning to replace my speakers with B&W's 700 series. I decided to go with the 705s for the fronts and HTM7 for the center, however, I am not sure what to do for surrounds. I am debating whether to go with another pair of 705s for surrounds or a pair of the DS7s.

All three of my local dealers (NYC) do not have the DS7 surround speakers setup for demo, thus I am unable to listen to them yet. Does anyone here got a chance to listen to the DS7?

My system is used for 50/50 movies and musics. And I plan to get into multi-channel musics soon (DVD-A and SACD). Any suggestion for what to go with for the surrounds will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
It is recommended that in listening to SACD and DVD-A, all the speakers be identical in power handling and freqeuncy response. Full ranger would be the best. That's because many titles mixed in hi-res multi channel were done so with identical speakers all around.

Having said that, a case can be made for some SACD and DVDA titles that have ambient information in the rear surrounds, not discrete, which may not sound best with direct firing monopoles identical to the fronts. Some audiophiles actually have a speaker A and B switching facility for the rear to choose between monopoles (for discrete multi-channel) and dipoles or bipoles (for ambient sound).

P

perato

Like you, I have the 705 as front mains and the HTM 7 as the center channel. I went with the DS7 as surrounds (for 5.1 system). I like the ability to switch back and forth between monopole and dipole. The switches on the DS7 are located under the front grille. It is a pain in the as$ to have to remove the grilles each time I switch. Luckily, if you have a 12-volt trigger you can switch monopole/dipole without removing the grilles. I couldn't find any info on the web about how to set up a 12-volt trigger and the receiver's tech support was not helpful (they just said it could not be done). Eventually, I figured out how to set up the 12-volt trigger and it works. I do not have a universal player so I do not know how these speakers perform in DVD-A or SACD. Another speaker that is able to switch monopole/dipole is the Von Schweikert TS150. I have never listened to the TS150 and do not know how well they would match B&W speakers, but you might want to check them out. Other Von Schweikert speakers have been favorably reviewed by Audioholics.

N

nyny

thanks!

Hi guys,

thanks for your help. I ended up buying 2 pairs of 705s and the HTM7 center (talked my dealer into giving me 14% off MSRP). I am currently looking for a small sub (preferably not exceeding 15" cube in diemension) to complement the 705s. Any suggestions? I am looking at the following subs right now:

- DT SuperCube
- Paradigm Seismic 12
- B&W AWS 750

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
You have an all-B&W set-up. Any reason why you would look past the B&W ASW750? It's a sealed sub that really goes down to 20hz if not mistaken. And if the REL Storm or Strata sound better for you, go for it.

P

perato

I have the B&W ASW650 subwoofer. I probably do not have it placed optimally b/c of room constraints. I think it is okay but could be better. I am not sure how good B&W subwoofers are. Lots of people on Audioholics forums like Velodyne subwoofers and some like HSU subwoofers. Timbre matching is not important with subwoofers as it is with other speakers.

N

nyny

Hi AV_Phil,

The reason why B&W ASW750 is not on the top of my list is due to its size. I live in a NYC apartment and I don't have a lot of space.

I tested out Def Tech Supercube and Velodyne SPL-1200 II the other day, I think I am going to go with the Velodyne. It's quite a nice sub that has a small footprint.

K

Kilwox

Audioholic Intern
sub for 700 series

Hi NYNY,
I have a very similar system as you do. I just purchased the ASW CM sub from my B&W dealer. It is one of the most authoratative subs I've ever heard, probably due to the stiffness of it's aluminum driver. It's really small for the sound it puts out.
Of course there are other manufacturers out there who make smaller subs, but I'm sure like you are, I'm a bit B&W fan. Let us know what you decide in the end.

N

nyny

Hi guys, I finally made the decision to buy the Velodyne SPL-1200 II sub. It was a tough decision between it and the Paradigm Seismic 12. Through demos, Seismic 12 outperforms the SPL-1200II (has a bit more "ohm" factor). However, SPL is no slouch either.

It really came down to video shielding that made me decide on the SPL. SPL is shielded while the Seismic is not. I have read online and have been told by my dealer that the Seismic magnet will affect my TV pictures within 8 feet. Living in an apartment, I do not have the option to place my sub more than 8 feet away from my TV.

Thaks for everyone help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis