Need Help w/choosing A/V receiver

J

Juanmaize

Audiophyte
I have not purchased any audio equipment in 25 years and now I find myself ready to purchase a "system" for my home. I want a great a/v receiver for DVD's, cd's, etc.

I am interested in reviews (Owner/User) of the Yamaha RX-Z9, Denon 5805 and the Sunfire Ultimate II. I am open to your suggestions concerning other products as well.

The Yamaha looks awesome but the heat coming off the unit in the dealer's showroom was most likely not a good sign, in my opinion, for a long and healthy life for the receiver. The Denon was pricy and the Carver was quintessential Bob Carver.

What are your experiences with Internet purchases???????

Cheers!

Juan

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Juanmaize said:
I.

Cheers!

Juan
I've bought interconnects, an HK reciever, speakers and various accessories through the internet without any problems. Just like with anything, use a little common sense and do some research regarding the seller and you should be fine and can save yourself a lot of money.

If buying electronics make sure the online dealer is an authorized dealer, otherwise the manufacturers warranty may be voided.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Juanmaize said:
I have not purchased any audio equipment in 25 years and now I find myself ready to purchase a "system" for my home. I want a great a/v receiver for DVD's, cd's, etc.

I am interested in reviews (Owner/User) of the Yamaha RX-Z9, Denon 5805 and the Sunfire Ultimate II. I am open to your suggestions concerning other products as well.

The Yamaha looks awesome but the heat coming off the unit in the dealer's showroom was most likely not a good sign, in my opinion, for a long and healthy life for the receiver. The Denon was pricy and the Carver was quintessential Bob Carver.

Cheers!

Juan
A lot is going to play on what speakers you choose, and if you need multi-room capability. If I had your budget and was looking to put a killer system together, I'd consider demoing the HK7300, the just released Denon 4806, the new Yamaha 4600, and the B&K models. HDMI is a very important connection if you are running a plasma or like tv. It really cuts down on the cables. I don't think you need to jump to the Denon 5805, or RX-Z9 which has been out for some time now, to get what these just released models offer. As far as the Carver unit, just stay away. Have not heard many positives about it at all.

T

tuuney

Enthusiast
Go for the HK7300 if you could careless about HDMI. However, this unit is Big and Heavy, and produce lots of heat.

porksoda

porksoda

Audioholic Intern
Juanmaize said:

Cheers!

Juan
If you are going for high end sound only look into
- arcam avr300 (very good reciver it performs even better than some of my old seperates.)
- Nad t773
- Rotel 1067 (bright for my taste)

If you want decent sound and lots of features n gimmicks look into
denon yamaha hk etc etc... they have decent sound but not good in my opinion.

If you want great sound and can spend a bit more look into arcams fmj line.

Also you should budget for speakers accordingly... very important most speakers out there are bright and hence the more u spend u tend to notice the brightness somewhat diminishes... test the speakers out at high volumes and take various material (and make sure they are not out of package while testing should be broken in).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis