Need help:Screen recommendation for AE900U projector

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
I have made the decision to purchase a new Panasonic PT-AE900U projector and need to select a screen. My max picture size will be 90" diag. and I do not have any light issues to deal with (room is pitch black). I am looking at a manual screen to allow access to a closet behind the screen. Since I am on a pretty tight budget I have been looking at the ELITE and OPTIMA screens offered from Visual Apex.

Can anyone make a recommendation for one of these screens or something else that might be in the same price range (>$200.00)?

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You should keep in mind that manual screens have serious isses with getting waves in the material over time. Within about a year or so these waves will be visible all the time, and will be distracting from the viewing image during scenes with panning in them.

Knowing that, I would recommend a fixed frame DIY option, like a blackout cloth screen that you hang from the ceiling and can lift out of the way when not necessary - on hinges will allow it to swing forward entirely when not needed.

If you are determined to use a manual screen, I would specifically avoid Elite after seeing one and immediately seeing a rainbow 'shimmering' effect from an AE700 projecting onto it. After seeing the Elite screen material, I would be hard pressed to recommend it to others. Just not a great product IMO.

As for the Optoma Greywolf, which is very popular, I am not sure how great it really is, or even how much you need the higher gain it offers in your pretty much ideal setup. Small screen, dark room... it screams for a fixed frame screen for maximum quality.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I agree with BMX.

I looked at the real expensive automated roller screens that were tensioned and still noticed that this would become an issue over time.

I went with a fixed screen after some serious negotiating with the wife.

I am happy I did. I use a 1.4 gain with my 700u at 100" from Carada. Your similar projector should perform better with the same screen.

I think a painted wall is better than some roller screens but their is a premium for a good screen so save your pennies.

Lamps dim over time so try to squeeze every last Lumen out of your projector that you can. You can always turn it down IMO.

Good Luck

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
Can you recommend a decent fixed screen that is not to pricey?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
IMO Carada makes one of the best for the money. Very solid design, very high quality, not a lot of cash.

DIY you can do for well under 200 bucks though and with that screen size you won't have any real issues.

Not sure how good you are with tools or a paintbrush though or if you want to deal with it all. Took me about 8 hours to make a screen myself the one time I tried, but results looked similar to my $1K+ screen.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
AAD said:
Can you recommend a decent fixed screen that is not to pricey?
I do not know of a fixed screen of quality for US$200

A painted system is about that price. Goo Systems has gotten good reviews.

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
BMXTRIX: I am very good with tools and a paintbrush. Are you talking about the Goo System mentioned by westcott when you say DIY? Please provide more info on the DIY particulars if possible.

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you look at the FAQs on Projector Central (your same question) I provide links to the AVS Forum for DIY screen options.

Painting, Goo, blackout cloth, etc. I am NOT a painter, but I went with blackout cloth when I made a screen myself. All parts and materials were about $150.00 using high quality wood, the blackout cloth, and real velvet for a serious border.

Here's a decent image of the screen with way to many lights on so you get a good idea of what it actually looks like - still hard to see the borders... we're talking deep black velvet here - very comparible to a $1K screen.

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
BMXTRIX: Thanks for the info and the picture. I have already gathered the required info and will probably get started this weekend.

One last question: Which side of the blackout cloth did you personally use?

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
AAD said:
I have made the decision to purchase a new Panasonic PT-AE900U projector and need to select a screen.
I just got that projector (installed it today). I went with DIYTheater paint for my wall. Application is done with a special roller (they provide it) in two coats. We fired up the projector as soon as the last of the paint was on, and at first it looked terrible - roller lines everywhere, and bizarre sparkling. But as it dried over the next hour, all the strange artifacts vanished, and the resulting picture looks extremely good. I use the panny's low output setting in a dark room with DIY's "Light Platinum" paint; the screen's just over 8' wide.

Not the cheapest painted screen product out there, and I haven't used any others so I can't compare. But the results were excellent.

The projector's working out well too. The only problem I've had was mounting the projector - I got a mount from Visual Apex, and it didn't come with the actual screws or bolts to attach it to the ceiling. Nothing a run to the hardware store didn't fix, but I did figure that a ceiling mount kit would come ready to attach to the ceiling, and was disappointed when it didn't.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
Here's a decent image of the screen with way to many lights on so you get a good idea of what it actually looks like - still hard to see the borders... we're talking deep black velvet here - very comparible to a $1K screen.

By the way, nice job on the screen BMX!:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
westcott said:
By the way, nice job on the screen BMX!:D
Thanks! - And of course that photos is the pure proof of why to never use glossy paint in your theater! Holy cow!

No, not my theater, I just did the work - and told them specifically to use flat paint. But, I didn't buy it for them, so they have a few flaws that were out of my hands. 100" diagonal from abut a 9 or 10 foot viewing distance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis