Need help on my first sound system

J

jrieder

Audiophyte
Hello I need help from the experts!

So to begin with Soundbar or Sound system? I don't mind running wires, I can hide them. Easy of use is important, the wife and kids just want to turn it on and have it work.

So from here, my price range is $200 to $300.

I saw the Onkyo 3910 for $320 and A vizio sound bar sb36512-f6 for $300.

Thank you!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For the sake of simplicity, a soundbar is probably your best bet. Vizio's are OK for that product category. If it were me, I would see what kind of audio outputs your TV has. If your TV has a digital optical output, consider getting this DAC, this amp, and these speakers. That would be a fun little system and better than most soundbars.

Also, right now Kali is offering Bluetooth controllers to buyers of their LP speakers. You can get a pair of LP-6 speakers for $300 and then get the Bluetooth controller for free. You would need to add a Bluetooth adapter like this. You will also need some balanced 1/4" or XLR cables. All in, that would probably be slightly closer to $400 than your $300 budget, but that would give you a phenomenal sound for the money. And if you went with the LP-8s instead of the 6s, that would be an insane value. Those speakers have crazy good sound quality for the price.

J

jrieder

Audiophyte
I have a fairly new TV 2019 Samsung q70r so it has optical out and hdmi. I thought Bluetooth would degrade the sound quality? Just those two speakers would be better than a full blown sound bar?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have a fairly new TV 2019 Samsung q70r so it has optical out and hdmi. I thought Bluetooth would degrade the sound quality? Just those two speakers would be better than a full blown sound bar?
The sound quality over Bluetooth depends on the type of application. Bluetooth sound can be just fine.

And yes, those Kali speakers are way better than soundbars. Get the LP-8 version if you really want to rock. Here is a review with measured performance, no soundbar can come close to matching that kind of performance.

J

jrieder

Audiophyte
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate it. I can't go over $300. What do you think of that Onkyo?
I think the T.V. has Bluetooth, can I buy speakers with Bluetooth build in, and a subwoofer with build in Bluetooth?

Don't you lose surround sound with only two speakers vs 5.1?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've never been impressed by my friends' surround soundbar sets (or subs), I'd also lean towards the suggestions Shadyj is throwing your way (fyi he's our speaker reviewer). TV may have a bluetooth receiver, but check if it has a transmitter. I can't think of BT enabled subs, and the latency could be an issue too for that matter with BT, better to hardwire....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I appreciate it. I can't go over $300. What do you think of that Onkyo?
I think the T.V. has Bluetooth, can I buy speakers with Bluetooth build in, and a subwoofer with build in Bluetooth?

Don't you lose surround sound with only two speakers vs 5.1?
A $300 two-channel system will sound a lot better than a $300 surround sound system. If you aren't terribly concerned about sound quality, a soundbar will be just fine, and it might be better for you due to simplicity. It will sound better than the TV's built-in speakers. However, you are tantalizingly close to an authentically good sound system. Kali LP-6s would be very good, and the LP-8s would be even better... Given that you can get Kali's Bluetooth receiver free with the purchase of their speakers at the moment, I would look very closely at that option.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis