Need help looking for new subwoofer

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
Hello i have had the JBL e250p subwoofer but wasnt happy with it so i sold them and now im looking for another 1 to take its place i have about $300 to spend no more then that so im pretty limited to my choices so far ive been looking at these Athena AS-P6000, BIC AMERICA V-1520 15",Acoustic Research ARPR1212,
Cerwin Vega CLSC-15s,JBL S120PII,Infinity PS-12,Velodyne VRP-1200,
YAMAHA YST-SW325,BIC Acouste H-100, Sony SA-WX700,CADENCE XSUB-12, and Cadence XLNS-12 empty subwoofer cabinets this one comes with the subwoofer http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-XLNS-12-EMPTY-SUBWOOFER-CABINETS_W0QQitemZ5861414067QQcategoryZ3275QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
what amp would you recomend if i buy this for best sound like 50% music 50% movies? My room is pretty big its 20x20 400sqr feet and i want it to fill the room and i cant go higher then $300 not even a little i looked at the stf 1 but i dont think that will fill my room and sound as good as i can get it for the price thanks for the help!!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Of that list, the AS-P6000 gets my vote. BIC H100 and Cadence X-SUB are good choices too.

Try a period every once in a while :)

SheepStar

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I second the Athena AS-P6000, the Yamaha YST-SW325 would be my second choice.

~Bob

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, I was supposed to reply but I lost my breath and fainted. :)

you're gonna be hardpressed to fill your 3000+ cubic feet room with your choices. what didn't you like with the E250?

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
well i mean when i played jurassic park 3 it started to do this like bubbling sound like poping kinda when the ones i had i had 2 of them not both hooked up at same time though and in lord of the rings 1 it just didnt have much power and i heard good things about some of these they say on athena site thats the 6000 one is for 400sqr feet and bigger and i read about the cadence XSUB-12 and they said it can do the same but it pulls 100watts lower but it has a 70oz magnet instead of the 28 that the ATHENA AS-P6000 has does this make a diffrence cause some one told me it does? and thanks for the help guys and just wondering why did you choose the ATHENA AS-P6000 over the other 2?? and i read on a site that the bic one puts out 275rms and 1100watts peak? false?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I got dizzy and flopped over again.
seriously, you need to slow down on the typing and add some punctuations.

did you have the e250 at max volume?

I think you need to really really save some more money for the SVS PB10 ISD, even if it means not having a sub for awhile.

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A good sized magnet will produce a larger, more even field, making the motor more linear. It will increase control and power handling, but could be less efficient, meaning you'll need a larger amp. A larger magnet doesn't necessarily equate to better bass or more spl. There's a lot of engineering that goes into cabinet design. The Cadence is a great sub, but has been known to have amp issues (60Hz hum). The company will replace the amp (it's heavy), but it's a hassle to yank out and send in.

The XSUB amp:

The XSUB magnet:

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
So if i get this SVS PB10 ISD will this be a whole lot better then any of those i picked cause today i got a demo of this Velodyne DPS12 and it owned i mean it shook the store roof and speakers and that thing is only 200watts rms and 400watts peak and i now know that this sub will fill my room.also i seen a demo of this other one forgot the name but it was even better not much more.If this svs is better then those 2 then awesome only $400 i was wondering what size room do you think the JBL e250p is for and will any of the one's i mentioned will be any better is sound and power if so which one? Thanks alot guys for all of this help!! Oh and yes i did turn it all the way up at times, but not all the times.

Last edited:
J

JES14

Audioholic
I agree, try some of these . words. words. lol jk.
The best bang for that price is DIY, if thats not an option save your bucks for the SVS, HSU or Velodyne IMHO.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i would have to say the e250 was your best bang for the buck out of your initial choices.

but now that you have the DPS-12 and SVS PB10 as options, you can't go wrong (i think).
can you demo the DPS-12 in your house - how big was the store, was it as big as your room?

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
Really so you mean that the jbl e250pis better then all of those i mentioned?
Not the dps-12 and svs pb10.
Yes it was in a room bigger then mine and there were 2 other jbl subwoofers 1 for $1000 and the other for $799 this one was side firing and the dps-12 owned them.I heard them play some music and movies on dts with the subs and the dps-12 was pretty darn good but i think we had it at max valume or near.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
gokwhossj5 said:
Really so you mean that the jbl e250pis better then all of those i mentioned?
Not the dps-12 and svs pb10.
Yes it was in a room bigger then mine and there were 2 other jbl subwoofers 1 for $1000 and the other for $799 this one was side firing and the dps-12 owned them.I heard them play some music and movies on dts with the subs and the dps-12 was pretty darn good but i think we had it at max valume or near.
I have the DPS-12. It's a good sub wit decent extension and SPL output, but it gets boomy below 35Hz.

The SVS PB-10ISD is a much better sub.

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
Hey i was wondering is it that my room is just to big for these sub's?
If so ill just put them in a smaller room would that help any?
The only reason i cant spend more money is cause im geting a car and i need my money for that so i dont think i can get the svs:( , but i can get one of the others thats why i have to choose one of those.
Would you say i should go back to the jbl e250p over all of the other one's that i listed? I am leaning more towards the athena, but what is bash amp? 800 watt amplifier designed by BASH® Audio.

Last edited:
V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
Sheep said:
I have the DPS-12. It's a good sub wit decent extension and SPL output, but it gets boomy below 35Hz.

The SVS PB-10ISD is a much better sub.

I have the DPS-12 too. It's a very good sub, it takes time to get to know it and to Calibrate this subs. I was listening to these subs with four different Amps and it sound different!! Some time you have to Adjust the Crox, & the Vol, on each DVD when listening to live concert. I'm sure you played with it and you know what you’re doing, try to use a Splitter at the back of the subs it will help.

Last edited:
V

Vigor

Junior Audioholic
DPS-12.review

By the way "Sheep" I'm waiting to your review - DPS-12.
I'm not sur that The SVS PB-10ISD is a much better sub.

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
OK i maybe able to get this one Earthquake Sound SuperNova MKIV or
Klipsch RW-10 or Velodyne DLS-3750R or Velodyne DPS-10 out of these and the other ones which one would you say is best?:) Thanks Alot for all your help guys!!

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
All of those that i mentioned are at $350 each!
Would this Earthquake Sound SuperNova MKIV be better then the
Velodyne DPS-12 they both have same 400 peak watt's, but the
SuperNova MKIV can go down to 18hz from what they said dont know if its ture!!:eek:

G

gokwhossj5

Audiophyte
Well i have seen some reviews and im kinda leaning more towards these 2
SVS PB10-ISD and the MIRAGE OMNI S12. Those are both around same price.
If you could help me out with choosing i would be very thankfull!!
Oh if you think the Earthquake SuperNova MKIV would be beter then both then please let me know thank you!!!:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis